Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for those who have lost a spouse and need support or who can provide support to those who have.

Saint Paula is the patron saint of widows and Saint Stephen is the patron saint of deacons
Learn More: Saint Stephen and Saint Paula

Oct 12th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Okay....just sharing now. But here is a video with an image of her about 31 or 32 seconds in. This image is pre...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Okay....just sharing now. But here is a video with an image of her about 31 or 32 seconds in. This image is pretty close.
youtu.be

--hide--

I have always found so much comfort in viewing that image of Our Lady of Mount Carmel -- thanks for sharing!
Oct 12th 2012 new

[quote]Elizabeth-462557 said:

Thank you for sharing this, Jerry. which is a fault I often have...something of a protection mechnism so we won't get hurt. The unfortunate thing in protecting ourselves from being hurt, we deny ourselves the friendship such honesty will bring. You, it appears, have learned the wonderful lesson that is in making ourselves vulnerable we allow ourselves to be loved. Good for you, Jerry, and thank you for reminding us that the Blessed Mother is there for us all.

God bless,

- Elizabeth

[I think the biggest block to human interactions and friendship is someone being afraid to share himself/herself /quote]

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. My husband Jim died ten years ago and I have had many enlightening moments. Here are two very different lessons.

A parishioner came up to me after Mass one Sunday and said she wanted to tell me something but was not sure how I would react. She and her husband were relatively new and we didn't know each other beyond hello and some small talk. She said that she sensed someone standing beside me that day at Mass, and several other times, when she knew no one was there. She asked if I was married or if my husband was deceased because she felt it was my husband. Many times before then (and since) I had felt a presence enter me while in church. Did she see someone or not? Was it a coincidence? It doesn't matter. I felt comforted and strangely protected.

Story two: A short time after Jim's death, I attended a grief group meeting at our church. When we stopped for a break, a friend came up to me and said, "Are you starting a new fashion?" I asked her what she meant and she said, "Your sweater is on inside out." I looked down and began to laugh and laugh. Soon everyone was laughing too. Grief can take a break for laughter. It's okay.

Oct 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Okay....just sharing now. But here is a video with an image of her about 31 or 32 seconds in. Thi...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Okay....just sharing now. But here is a video with an image of her about 31 or 32 seconds in. This image is pretty close.
youtu.be

--hide--
Jerry, there is an Our Lady of Mt. Carmel here in my area, which is part of the Sonora parish. I sang at a funeral mass there for our Deacon's wife's funeral. It is a small, quaint church, with the graveyard in the hill below the church's front steps. The Madonna and Child are beautiful. Thanks for sharing the link of photos and history. How honored your mother was to have Our Lady take her in her arms at her final moments. rose

Oct 13th 2012 new

wave Brenda, I have to agree, birthdays are rough sometimes....Like you, my children would set the day up for my birthday, and I miss those early morning messes as they scurried around the kitchen (even before school) to make Mommy a special breakfast in bed. They also did this every Mother's Day...The first Mother's Day and Birthday after my husband died, the girls tried their best to do everything the way he would have done with them. They brought me the food on a tray (made me stay in bed until they got it up the stairs), had a flower in a vase (broke my heart, since this was their Daddy's part), and sat on the bed sharing the food. Suddenly it got very quiet between the three of us, and then tearfully, we all looked at each other. "I miss Daddy..." I hugged them, and told them that we would all be together again some day...

The girls have grown up and gone away now, and they are no longer sharing my birthday or Mother's Day with me. I have found that I try to give to others on those days--I spend the time with my mother, or go to the local Interfaith outreach center and volunteer my time. Sometimes we have to find ways to fill the holes in our hearts by giving ourselves to others...kind of like the Grinch grinch .

I know your recent birthday must have had those "holes", too, and admire you more than you can imagine for the strength you have to keep going and sharing your faith with us. I'm sure Nov. 7th will find you filling up the holes in others' hearts. rose hug

Oct 13th 2012 new
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: Brenda, I have to agree, birthdays are rough sometimes....Like you, my children would set the day up for m...
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said:

Brenda, I have to agree, birthdays are rough sometimes....Like you, my children would set the day up for my birthday, and I miss those early morning messes as they scurried around the kitchen (even before school) to make Mommy a special breakfast in bed. They also did this every Mother's Day...The first Mother's Day and Birthday after my husband died, the girls tried their best to do everything the way he would have done with them. They brought me the food on a tray (made me stay in bed until they got it up the stairs), had a flower in a vase (broke my heart, since this was their Daddy's part), and sat on the bed sharing the food. Suddenly it got very quiet between the three of us, and then tearfully, we all looked at each other. "I miss Daddy..." I hugged them, and told them that we would all be together again some day...

The girls have grown up and gone away now, and they are no longer sharing my birthday or Mother's Day with me. I have found that I try to give to others on those days--I spend the time with my mother, or go to the local Interfaith outreach center and volunteer my time. Sometimes we have to find ways to fill the holes in our hearts by giving ourselves to others...kind of like the Grinch .

I know your recent birthday must have had those "holes", too, and admire you more than you can imagine for the strength you have to keep going and sharing your faith with us. I'm sure Nov. 7th will find you filling up the holes in others' hearts.

--hide--

I am sure I will find a nice way of spending the day. I am off work that day so I have plans to go to Mass & then get ready for my CM Phoenix trip..... biggrin
Oct 13th 2012 new
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: Brenda, I have to agree, birthdays are rough sometimes....Like you, my children would set the day up for m...

Brenda, I have to agree, birthdays are rough sometimes....Like you, my children would set the day up for my birthday, and I miss those early morning messes as they scurried around the kitchen (even before school) to make Mommy a special breakfast in bed. They also did this every Mother's Day...The first Mother's Day and Birthday after my husband died, the girls tried their best to do everything the way he would have done with them. They brought me the food on a tray (made me stay in bed until they got it up the stairs), had a flower in a vase (broke my heart, since this was their Daddy's part), and sat on the bed sharing the food. Suddenly it got very quiet between the three of us, and then tearfully, we all looked at each other. "I miss Daddy..." I hugged them, and told them that we would all be together again some day...

The girls have grown up and gone away now, and they are no longer sharing my birthday or Mother's Day with me. I have found that I try to give to others on those days--I spend the time with my mother, or go to the local Interfaith outreach center and volunteer my time. Sometimes we have to find ways to fill the holes in our hearts by giving ourselves to others...kind of like the Grinch .

I know your recent birthday must have had those "holes", too, and admire you more than you can imagine for the strength you have to keep going and sharing your faith with us. I'm sure Nov. 7th will find you filling up the holes in others' hearts.

--hide--
This must be the week for people to share old photos with me - this one was from several years ago when Andrew was the Altar Server for the May Day Procession & his cousin/best friend Amanda was the person who was chosen to Crown Mary....

Oct 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: This must be the week for people to share old photos with me - this one was from several years ago when ...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: This must be the week for people to share old photos with me - this one was from several years ago when Andrew was the Altar Server for the May Day Procession & his cousin/best friend Amanda was the person who was chosen to Crown Mary....

--hide--
Lovely photo, Brenda. hug

Oct 13th 2012 new
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: Lovely photo, Brenda.

Lovely photo, Brenda.

--hide--

Thanks Beverly....
Oct 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: I had a feeling of calm through most of Bob's illness and passing that things would be okay, ...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

I had a feeling of calm through most of Bob's illness and passing that things would be okay, but I remember vividly the moment when I KNEW that I would. It was ten months after his death and I was in church for adoration. The loneliness, the pain, the fear of raising my children without him and the weight of losing my job a few months before that overwhelmed me. I sat crying in the back pews, wondering how God could have made such a huge mistake. Fear gripped me and I had no idea how I was supposed to get by on my own. I looked up and focused all my attention on the ninth station of the cross. "Jesus fell a third time." With tears streaming, I felt God's understanding. He was no stranger to suffering. He had watched his own child suffer in the most inconceivable way. A warmth engulfed me and I knew I would never be alone. My fear was instantly removed. I knew my kids would be fine, that I would be fine, that He was close at hand and would never leave me. I have never again experienced the desolation that I had that morning. I do believe it is when my heart began to heal.

--hide--

I felt a lot like Kathy did. My husband was not ill that long. One day, end of May 2010 they told us he had metastasized cancer throughout his body and that he would live 3-6 months. He died exactly 3-1/2 months later, but I was calm and he was calm and pain-free the whole time, so we just had the time to be with each other and talk. He told me not to stay alone and be well and happy; that we'd had a good life together and that's all that mattered. Since he passed I've just had this feeling of tranquility and a sense that God wants me to be well and that He'll take care of things. I've just known that when it felt right I would know it, which for me it's only been this past summer. One day I just said to myself, I am ready to meet someone and find the right person with whom to spend the rest of my life with. It's been very hard to be without my husband these past two years, but I am finally ready not to be alone and share my life with someone. It is really no fun to be alone and lonely. I have faith that God will put the right person in my path and will send me a message that will say, "this is it. This is the person you need to be with."

Oct 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: Brenda, I have to agree, birthdays are rough sometimes....Like you, my children would set the d...

--hide--

Birthdays are difficult, but I think anniversaries are even harder. My wedding anniversary is coming up on November 12th--this would have been our 37th-- and I know it will be a very difficult day for me. I'm just gonna try to go to church and pray for a while.

Posts 31 - 40 of 46