Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 12th 2012 new
(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Jim, put Italian seasoning in the Ragu. Along with fresh garlic, onions and bell peppers. I like the &q...
(Quote) Helen-450889 said:

Jim, put Italian seasoning in the Ragu. Along with fresh garlic, onions and bell peppers. I like the "Tomato, Onion and Garlic" from Ragu. Even then, I add fresh garlic, onions, peppers, Italian seasoning. And sometimes, ground beef seasoned with lots of Italian seasoning...once the meat has been drained (after being cooked about 90%)

Jim, I can't imagine why it has been a long time since a woman has cooked for you. If you lived in my area, I would cook for you!
--hide--

Thank you, Helen. biggrin
Oct 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"! I just wanted to put something out there and see...
(Quote) Matt-849404 said:

Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"!

I just wanted to put something out there and see what other Catholics think of Abstinence. I am a Traditional Catholic and I follow the traditional rules of the Catholic Church, which includes abstaining from meat on every Friday of the year, not just in Lent.

When I go out to eat or something with friends on a Friday, and I won't order or eat anything with meat, it raises the question, and when I tell them I don't eat meat on Friday, they look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears! Lol! There's usually one person who will make the obvious statement: It's not Lent.

They just can't believe that I go without eating meat every Friday of the year, like it's that much of a sacrifice that it's just unthinkable.

So I just wanted to see what other Catholics on here think of Abstinence from meat on Fridays, or if I'm the only one that follows this anymore. (Not that it will matter in the slightest if I am, I'll still do what I know is right.)

--hide--

Hi Matt,

The concept of sacrifice, great or small, is foreign to the majority of our society. We, for the most part, do not deny ourselves anything. Therefore, kudos to you for making a stand which strengthens you spiritually and physically as well :-). It is uncomfortable but at the very least you give them something to think about.
Peace and blessings,
Nancy :-)

Oct 12th 2012 new

Greetings,

Thank you to all for your thoughts on abstinence. It has given me something to think about. I, too, give up eating meat on Fridays. However, sadly, like many things in my life, I fall short many times. But, the good news is that I sometimes add other things to my abstinence list. If I feel that I am getting too "lost" in too much television watching, I will force myself to turn off the TV and take my dog for a walk, or better yet, sit down and read Scripture. I find that when I do small, little things in abstinence, I feel like I am getting myself back on track.

There are times that I am glad that I live alone. There are so many things in this world that so easily distract me from the path I have chosen to walk. However, the other side of the coin, is that sometimes a friend is helpful in reminding me of those times when I stray from that path. So, I am glad that God has given us the gift of abstinence, to help remind me of what is important.

Thanks again for your comments on abstinence!!!!

Oct 14th 2012 new
This is a good topic... and I thought it would be yet another forum about sex!

This is news to me; the requirement of fasting on Fridays still existing after Vatican II.

The topic is of some regional interest, as here in coastal CA, there is much interest in health, and so many who are not Catholic at all, do not eat much red meat. Even moreso, it is rare to see anyone smoking anymore around here. One local beach even has a law preventing smoking on the beach....reason....is environmental....too much litter.
Posts 101 - 104 of 104