Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I was just curious...how many generations or centuries does you catholic family go back? Mine dates to the 1600s.

10/14/2012 new
(Quote) Michelle-655299 said: I was just curious...how many generations or centuries does you catholic family go back? Mine dates to the ...
(Quote) Michelle-655299 said:

I was just curious...how many generations or centuries does you catholic family go back? Mine dates to the 1600s.

--hide--

I'm not sure. My grandmother on my mom's side of the family is the only one of my grandparents who was raised Catholic. Her husband was Lutheran, but converted when he married her. Both my grandparents on my dad's side were also Lutheran, as was my dad until shortly after he married my mom. Given all that, I guess there was about a 3 in 4 chance that I could have been a Lutheran. eyepopping Whew! That was a close one...
10/14/2012 new

(Quote) Charles-512043 said: I'm not sure. My grandmother on my mom's side of the family is the only one of my gran...
(Quote) Charles-512043 said:

I'm not sure. My grandmother on my mom's side of the family is the only one of my grandparents who was raised Catholic. Her husband was Lutheran, but converted when he married her. Both my grandparents on my dad's side were also Lutheran, as was my dad until shortly after he married my mom. Given all that, I guess there was about a 3 in 4 chance that I could have been a Lutheran. Whew! That was a close one...
--hide--

The Catholic heritage was entirely on my Father's side of the family. That goes back to at least the 1870s when the Cornett and Swick families came over from Bavaria. That was just as Germany was being united, and the Kulturkampf was beginning under Otto von Bismarck.

10/15/2012 new

Very interesting....My origins come from France....geneology records indicated this....and anthropological blood tests proved it.....

10/15/2012 new
Can't tell. Most of the records were destroyed by war or accident. I have a grandmother who is a convert from Lutheranism, but other than that, all Catholic lineage from the Old Country.
10/15/2012 new

(Quote) Michelle-655299 said: I was just curious...how many generations or centuries does you catholic family go back? Mine ...

--hide--

What an interesting question...I'd like to learn. My mom is the one from the Catholic family and my dad was protestant, but since my last name is German, I'm thinking way back on my dad's side we must have been Catholic too at some point. Actually, if you think about it all Christians started off Catholic, right? biggrin

10/16/2012 new

On my Mother's side of the family there was supposed to be a male ancestor who accompanied Richard the Lion Heart in the Crusades and was awareded the title Leo for his service. That became the family name. The family is Italian

My Father's family orginates in France, minor nobility sent to Italy when the French ruled most of it. The ancestor was sent to Command the Fort that guarded the Mountain Road entry to Naples. The familky settled permanently in Italy during the French revolutioin in order to keep their heads on their shoulders.

10/16/2012 new

It starts with me.

10/16/2012 new

(Quote) Michelle-655299 said: I was just curious...how many generations or centuries does you catholic family go back? Mine ...

--hide--

This is a great post, Michelle.

My family has always been catholic--from all sides. So it is quite possible that
we may go back to the apostles, because all sides originiated from Europe.

Well, that would be the parameter for the longest possible point of catholic origin.

That is my best answer.

10/16/2012 new

(Quote) Clarence-698070 said: It starts with me.
(Quote) Clarence-698070 said:

It starts with me.

--hide--

Very interesting, Clarence. What made you decide to become a convert? I admire that. It is a big
step.

Posts 1 - 10 of 17