Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

There are so many things about the VP Debate this week that we can talk about but there are four areas that I like to point out:

1) Smiling/Smirking/Sneering Biden - repeated, condescending, rude interruptions. This guy definitely needs to relearn some professional manners. However, Donald Trump really brought out a good point: "Like it or not, smiling Joe Biden was effective because he wasn't called out. Congressman Ryan may call him out on that: 'We have nothing to smile about. What are you laughing about? Our country is in trouble!' I was waiting for that but I didn't get that." However I thought the congressman said it well: "I know youre under a lot of duress to make up for lost ground. But I think people would be better served if we dont keep interrupting each other!"

2) Biden was asked about his Catholic faith and he responded that he is a practicing Catholic who believes in abortion...Seriously? Are you kidding me? People who practice their faiths are people who follow the teaching of their Church who transmits the teaching of God AKA the Ten Commandments...Fifth C: YOU SHALL NOT KILL. Simply because you go to Church occasionally or even weekly does not make you a true practicing member. I wish the congressman would call him out on that too!

3) On the issue of religious liberty, Biden stated: "With regard to the assault on the Catholic Church, let me make it absolutely clear. No religious institutionCatholic or otherwise, including Catholic social services, Georgetown hospital, Mercy hospital, any hospitalnone has to either refer contraception, none has to pay for contraception, none has to be a vehicle to get contraception in any insurance policy they provide. That is a fact. That is a fact."

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops swiftly responded:

This is not a fact. The HHS mandate contains a narrow, four-part exemption for certain "religious employers." That exemption was made final in February and does not extend to "Catholic social services, Georgetown hospital, Mercy hospital, any hospital," or any other religious charity that offers its services to all, regardless of the faith of those served.

HHS has proposed an additional "accommodation" for religious organizations like these, which HHS itself describes as "non-exempt." That proposal does not even potentially relieve these organizations from the obligation "to pay for contraception" and "to be a vehicle to get contraception." They will have to serve as a vehicle, because they will still be forced to provide their employees with health coverage, and that coverage will still have to include sterilization, contraception, and abortifacients. They will have to pay for these things, because the premiums that the organizations (and their employees) are required to pay will still be applied, along with other funds, to cover the cost of these drugs and surgeries.

USCCB continues to urge HHS, in the strongest possible terms, actually to eliminate the various infringements on religious freedom imposed by the mandate.

4) Biden credited the president for hunting down Osama Ben Ladin. If I was Congressman Ryan, I would congratulate the administration for finishing the job. However, I'd caution the VP not to take all the credit since the efforts and intelligence went all the way back to those who served and gave their lives way back to 2001 and beyond. Do not bite the hands that feed you...don't discredit all those who sacrificed their lives and spent countless hours to bring the criminal to justice. A good metaphor would be: Don't discredit the parents when their child succeeds!

Just my four cents. Have a good weekend :)
10/13/2012 new

Do you know what worries me Khoa, that the American public seems to be out of touch with what is important. Can they see what this man, Mr. Obama, is doing to our basic liberties? Sad day in our society would be the day if the American people do not wake up and send Mr. Obama back to his 2-million plus home, obtained through the courtesy of friendly banks.

10/13/2012 new
Great post, Khoa.
10/15/2012 new
I thought Congressman Ryan distinguished himself very well. The contrast to me was clear enough. There was one person of maturity among the two, and it was Congressman Ryan.
Posts 1 - 4 of 4