Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Gino's is back!

Oct 20th 2012 new

Those of you who lived in the mid-Atlantic states in the late 50s-70s may remember the Gino's restaurant franchise (I don't know if there were any outside that region). Gino's (named after the founder, Gino Marchetti of the Baltimore Colts) was famous for both its hamburgers (including the Gino Giant) and Kentucky Fried Chicken (before KFC had their own restaurants). The chain was sold in the early 80s and the new owner dropped the name. This was very disappointing, as Gino's burgers blew McDonald's out of the water. And they had some interesting commercials, too!

youtu.be

Gino's is back! Marchetti, now in his mid-80s, and other key employees began opening new restaurants in the PA and MD area in 2009. If anyone has tried them, I'd be interested in how they are now.

http://www.ginosgiant.com

Oct 20th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Those of you who lived in the mid-Atlantic states in the late 50s-70s may remember the Gino's restaurant fra...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Those of you who lived in the mid-Atlantic states in the late 50s-70s may remember the Gino's restaurant franchise (I don't know if there were any outside that region). Gino's (named after the founder, Gino Marchetti of the Baltimore Colts) was famous for both its hamburgers (including the Gino Giant) and Kentucky Fried Chicken (before KFC had their own restaurants). The chain was sold in the early 80s and the new owner dropped the name. This was very disappointing, as Gino's burgers blew McDonald's out of the water. And they had some interesting commercials, too!

youtu.be

Gino's is back! Marchetti, now in his mid-80s, and other key employees began opening new restaurants in the PA and MD area in 2009. If anyone has tried them, I'd be interested in how they are now.

--hide--
The photos of the food reminds me of Boomerang around here....makes me want to visit Ginos

biggrin
Oct 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Those of you who lived in the mid-Atlantic states in the late 50s-70s may remember the Gino's ...

youtu.be

--hide--

Well, 2 of those stores are right near my home, but I haven't been to one since I was a kid.

To clarify your history lesson, Kentucky Fried Chicken became a trademarked brand after Roy Roger's acquisition of Gino's. It's original name, and the brand sold at Gino's restaurants, was Colonel Sanders' Chicken. Colonel Sanders' Chicken was the primary reason Roy Rogers even had any interest in Gino's. Roy Rogers had no desire to get into the burger business, but they did want the chicken, so when they bought-out Gino's, they discontinued the Gino's brand, re-branded Colonel Sanders' Chicken into Kentucky Fried Chicken and launched an independent chain of restaurants until their acquisition by Pepsico.

Oct 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Well, 2 of those stores are right near my home, but I haven't been to one since I was a ...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Well, 2 of those stores are right near my home, but I haven't been to one since I was a kid.

To clarify your history lesson, Kentucky Fried Chicken became a trademarked brand after Roy Roger's acquisition of Gino's. It's original name, and the brand sold at Gino's restaurants, was Colonel Sanders' Chicken. Colonel Sanders' Chicken was the primary reason Roy Rogers even had any interest in Gino's. Roy Rogers had no desire to get into the burger business, but they did want the chicken, so when they bought-out Gino's, they discontinued the Gino's brand, re-branded Colonel Sanders' Chicken into Kentucky Fried Chicken and launched an independent chain of restaurants until their acquisition by Pepsico.

--hide--

The first Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise were sold in the early 1950s. Dave Thomas (later the founder of Wendy's) was an early franchisee and developed the rotating bucket that was used on the signs back then. The same "Kentucky Fried Chicken from 1952 through 1978. The "KFC" branding apparently wasn't used until 1991.

Gino's was the mid-Atlantic franchisee for Kentucky Fried Chicken. Even if the franchise rights transferred when the chain was sold to Roy Rogers (and my guess is they did not), they would not have transferred to existing Roy Rogers restaurants without negotiating new franchise agreements with KFC -- and it's likely a significant number outside that region would have conflicted with the rights of other KFC franchisees.

Oct 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: The first Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise were sold in the early 1950s. Dave Thomas (lat...

The first Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise were sold in the early 1950s. Dave Thomas (later the founder of Wendy's) was an early franchisee and developed the rotating bucket that was used on the signs back then. The same "Kentucky Fried Chicken from 1952 through 1978. The "KFC" branding apparently wasn't used until 1991.

Gino's was the mid-Atlantic franchisee for Kentucky Fried Chicken. Even if the franchise rights transferred when the chain was sold to Roy Rogers (and my guess is they did not), they would not have transferred to existing Roy Rogers restaurants without negotiating new franchise agreements with KFC -- and it's likely a significant number outside that region would have conflicted with the rights of other KFC franchisees.

--hide--

The branding wasn't used until 1991. That is correct, but it wasn't until 1997 - the year after Pepsico acquired the company - that the KFC began opening stand-alone restaurants. You are also correct that Wendy's was the first food chain to offer Colonel Sanders' Chicken, but that ended in 1968 when Dave Thomas' partner in a separate restaurant venture sold the 4 existing Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises back to the corporation. From 1968 until Gino's Colonel Sanders existed without a national market.

Oct 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: The branding wasn't used until 1991. That is correct, but it wasn't until 1997 - the...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

The branding wasn't used until 1991. That is correct, but it wasn't until 1997 - the year after Pepsico acquired the company - that the KFC began opening stand-alone restaurants. You are also correct that Wendy's was the first food chain to offer Colonel Sanders' Chicken, but that ended in 1968 when Dave Thomas' partner in a separate restaurant venture sold the 4 existing Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises back to the corporation. From 1968 until Gino's Colonel Sanders existed without a national market.

--hide--

The first Wendy's restaurant wasn't opened until 1969, the year after Thomas sold his interest in the KFC franchises back to Sanders.

Gino's was a regional chain. While it filled in gaps in KFC's national coverage, it didn't provide such itself.

Dave Thomas - en.wikipedia.org
KFC - en.wikipedia.org
Gino's - en.wikipedia.org

Posts 1 - 6 of 6