Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

It is very painful to see that both my sons turned their back to the church and to the catholic faith in which I raised them. They always spent time with other catholic boys and families, even if it meant for me to drive long distances. In fact, they both stopped going to church.

The younger one only today told me again, that he stopped praying long ago (couple of months) and that he doesn't any more believe in God and in His love towards him. He answered my question to why he stopped believing, he only said that God never answered on his prayer …

I know, God has His times and reasons to allow such things, BUT this way or that way it is painful for me. God had abundance of patience with me and all I ask Him for is, to never ever let them go …

I love my sons and I too think, that I raised them well and that they will make their way as men being an ideal for others eventually – but it takes a lot of sacrifices and prayer.

I would like if any of you would share if you had similar experiences and how you handle this.

Thank you and may God bless you Praying theheart

Oct 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Andrea-850967 said: It is very painful to see that both my sons turned their back to the church and to the ...
(Quote) Andrea-850967 said:

It is very painful to see that both my sons turned their back to the church and to the catholic faith in which I raised them. They always spent time with other catholic boys and families, even if it meant for me to drive long distances. In fact, they both stopped going to church.

The younger one only today told me again, that he stopped praying long ago (couple of months) and that he doesn't any more believe in God and in His love towards him. He answered my question to why he stopped believing, he only said that God never answered on his prayer …

I know, God has His times and reasons to allow such things, BUT this way or that way it is painful for me. God had abundance of patience with me and all I ask Him for is, to never ever let them go …

I love my sons and I too think, that I raised them well and that they will make their way as men being an ideal for others eventually – but it takes a lot of sacrifices and prayer.

I would like if any of you would share if you had similar experiences and how you handle this.

Thank you and may God bless you

--hide--

I think your story may have some resemblance to that of St. Monica and her son St. Augustine:

Three children were born of this marriage, Augustine the eldest, Navigius the second, and a daughter, Perpetua. Monica had been unable to secure baptism for her children, and her grief was great when Augustine fell ill; in her distress she besought Patritius to allow him to be baptized; he agreed, but on the boy's recovery withdrew his consent. All Monica's anxiety now centred in Augustine; he was wayward and, as he himself tells us, lazy. He was sent to Madaura to school and Monica seems to have literally wrestled with God for the soul of her son. A great consolation was vouchsafed her — in compensation perhaps for all that she was to experience through Augustine — Patritius became a Christian. Meanwhile, Augustine had been sent to Carthage, to prosecute his studies, and here he fell into grievous sin. Patritius died very shortly after his reception into the Church and Monica resolved not to marry again. At Carthage Augustine had become a Manichean and when on his return home he ventilated certain heretical propositions she drove him away from her table, but a strange vision which she had urged her to recall him. It was at this time that she went to see a certain holy bishop, whose name is not given, but who consoled her with the now famous words, "the child of those tears shall never perish." There is no more pathetic story in the annals of the Saints than that of Monica pursuing her wayward son to Rome, wither he had gone by stealth; when she arrived he had already gone to Milan, but she followed him. Here she found St. Ambrose and through him she ultimately had the joy of seeing Augustine yield, after seventeen years of resistance. Mother and son spent six months of true peace at Cassiacum, after which time Augustine was baptized in the church of St. John the Baptist at Milan. Africa claimed them however, and they set out on their journey, stopping at Cività Vecchia and at Ostia. Here death overtook Monica and the finest pages of his "Confessions" were penned as the result of the emotion Augustine then experienced.

www.newadvent.org

If you think the above may apply to your situation, then I think you have already been following the path of St. Monica:
1. Be a good example for your sons.
2. Say lots of prayers from the heart.
3. Shed lots of tears from the heart.

Oct 21st 2012 new

My daughter went through a period of time like this. She has still not returned to the church (yet - I have great hope and many in our church are praying for her). Over the past few years, she has allowed me to bring her son to church. He started CCD this year, is very active in our church family and is very loved by our members. His love of God, devotion to church and its precepts brought her back to God. She is quick to prayer, has an active prayer life and a love for God beyond my imagination. Keep praying, but above all, lead by example. I have joy and hope in my church family. We are extremely close knit. If you don't have that, find it, first for yourself, and then for what you will be able to share with your boys. My hopes and prayers are with you through what I know is an agonizing time. Use this time to spend with God. Ask Him what you are supposed to be learning from this. Much love. heart

Oct 22nd 2012 new

So sorry to hear this. Lots of young people go through this stage and many of them return if they aren't driven off. I was very far away from the Church from the age of 16 until 26. Eventually I realized that it was important to me and couldn't be simply dismissed out of hand.

Never try to force them to practice. Never brow-beat them. Love them. Pray for them. Be a good example. NEVER lose hope.

theheart

Oct 22nd 2012 new
(Quote) Andrea-850967 said: It is very painful to see that both my sons turned their back to the church and to the cathol...
(Quote) Andrea-850967 said:

Thank you and may God bless you

--hide--
prayers offered
Oct 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: I think your story may have some resemblance to that of St. Monica and her son St. Aug...
(Quote) Valentin-119637 said:

I think your story may have some resemblance to that of St. Monica and her son St. Augustine:

Three children were born of this marriage, Augustine the eldest, Navigius the second, and a daughter, Perpetua. Monica had been unable to secure baptism for her children, and her grief was great when Augustine fell ill; in her distress she besought Patritius to allow him to be baptized; he agreed, but on the boy's recovery withdrew his consent. All Monica's anxiety now centred in Augustine; he was wayward and, as he himself tells us, lazy. He was sent to Madaura to school and Monica seems to have literally wrestled with God for the soul of her son. A great consolation was vouchsafed her — in compensation perhaps for all that she was to experience through Augustine — Patritius became a Christian. Meanwhile, Augustine had been sent to Carthage, to prosecute his studies, and here he fell into grievous sin. Patritius died very shortly after his reception into the Church and Monica resolved not to marry again. At Carthage Augustine had become a Manichean and when on his return home he ventilated certain heretical propositions she drove him away from her table, but a strange vision which she had urged her to recall him. It was at this time that she went to see a certain holy bishop, whose name is not given, but who consoled her with the now famous words, "the child of those tears shall never perish." There is no more pathetic story in the annals of the Saints than that of Monica pursuing her wayward son to Rome, wither he had gone by stealth; when she arrived he had already gone to Milan, but she followed him. Here she found St. Ambrose and through him she ultimately had the joy of seeing Augustine yield, after seventeen years of resistance. Mother and son spent six months of true peace at Cassiacum, after which time Augustine was baptized in the church of St. John the Baptist at Milan. Africa claimed them however, and they set out on their journey, stopping at Cività Vecchia and at Ostia. Here death overtook Monica and the finest pages of his "Confessions" were penned as the result of the emotion Augustine then experienced.

www.newadvent.org

If you think the above may apply to your situation, then I think you have already been following the path of St. Monica:
1. Be a good example for your sons.
2. Say lots of prayers from the heart.
3. Shed lots of tears from the heart.

--hide--

Thank you Valentin for reminding me of St. Monica. Yes, she is a great example and, without being kinda "nose up", I can say that I was and still am a good example for my sons.

I know that many catholic parents fear for their children because of the strong wind which is blowing into their faces from this secular world...

You know, I am very thankful for all the prayer and support which one receives form the members on this site.

Thanks again Valentin and God bless you Praying

Oct 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: My daughter went through a period of time like this. She has still not returned to the church...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

My daughter went through a period of time like this. She has still not returned to the church (yet - I have great hope and many in our church are praying for her). Over the past few years, she has allowed me to bring her son to church. He started CCD this year, is very active in our church family and is very loved by our members. His love of God, devotion to church and its precepts brought her back to God. She is quick to prayer, has an active prayer life and a love for God beyond my imagination. Keep praying, but above all, lead by example. I have joy and hope in my church family. We are extremely close knit. If you don't have that, find it, first for yourself, and then for what you will be able to share with your boys. My hopes and prayers are with you through what I know is an agonizing time. Use this time to spend with God. Ask Him what you are supposed to be learning from this. Much love.

--hide--

You must be very happy that things changed to the good. My elder son studies in a different country and we meet only seldom. Hopefully but I will see him again on the 2nd weekend in November.

Yes I got a spiritual family and we often had get-togethers with my boys. But these days they just don't want to even meet them anymore, leave alone that I speak about God ...

Thank you AnneMarie for your prayer Praying rose . I will also keep you in mine, Andrea

Oct 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: So sorry to hear this. Lots of young people go through this stage and many of them return if they...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

So sorry to hear this. Lots of young people go through this stage and many of them return if they aren't driven off. I was very far away from the Church from the age of 16 until 26. Eventually I realized that it was important to me and couldn't be simply dismissed out of hand.

Never try to force them to practice. Never brow-beat them. Love them. Pray for them. Be a good example. NEVER lose hope.

--hide--

yes, you are right David. One never wins anybody by force. Faith and love have to be given by complete freewill; only then it can flourish - but the creeping fear is there that they will not find that path.

Yet I do not intend to loose hope. God knows the when(s), where(s) and why(s).

Thanks David and I haven't forgotten to pray for you ... Praying theheart

Oct 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: prayers offered
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: prayers offered
--hide--

Thank you so much for your prayers, Brenda rose

Let 's take all the children from our CM brothers and sisters into this prayer Praying

Andrea

Oct 22nd 2012 new

Andrea,

You don't say how old your sons are. I am mentioning this as it is sounding a warning to me. I could be way off base. We tend to learn early that not all prayers are answered the way we want. If you can - find out what happened with your youmger son that his prayer wasn't answered. It sounds like he may be trying to tell you something.

Most teenagers and young adults need to find their own way. It isn't always enough that they were raised in the Catholic faith. Often they decide to come back. Trust God to lead them and pray, pray, pray.

God bless

Bernie

Posts 1 - 10 of 10