Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

A brave or stupid man?

Oct 21st 2012 new
I just found this link for the spacw jump : gizmodo.com

I might not have the biggest hole in my head? Bravery or stupidity driving this guy? Your thoughts
Oct 21st 2012 new

You left out insanity.

Oct 21st 2012 new
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: You left out insanity.
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

You left out insanity.

--hide--

Did you hear the voice say 729 mph and decelerating? I remember hearing a news report and I'd swear she said "Approaching speeds of 880 mph." If need be we can make a rocket escape from the Cave now! laughing
Oct 22nd 2012 new

He'd be stupid if he had not done any research and preparation for such a feat. But he did.

We need people who try things outside the box--who go to the edges of space--and risk to achieve something.

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: He'd be stupid if he had not done any research and preparation for such a feat. But he did.
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

He'd be stupid if he had not done any research and preparation for such a feat. But he did.

We need people who try things outside the box--who go to the edges of space--and risk to achieve something.

--hide--

Very well put. I liked the response. Were the Wright brothers crazy for trying to get a giant structure to fly? And what about the poor sap who had to test the first parachutes? I guess I would go with brave. I think we need people to push the boundaries of what is "posible."

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Clair-6292 said: I just found this link for the spacw jump : gizmodo.com.
(Quote) Clair-6292 said: I just found this link for the spacw jump : gizmodo.com

I might not have the biggest hole in my head? Bravery or stupidity driving this guy? Your thoughts
--hide--

He was brave because he lived.

Had he died, poor dummy.

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Charles-211696 said: He was brave because he lived. Had he died, poor dummy. ...
(Quote) Charles-211696 said:

He was brave because he lived.

Had he died, poor dummy.

--hide--
Absolutely right, Charles!!!

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Clair-6292 said: I just found this link for the spacw jump : gizmodo.com.
(Quote) Clair-6292 said: I just found this link for the spacw jump : gizmodo.com

--hide--
We'll save the argument about the hole in your head for later, Clair.

Well, this guy, in the opinion of many, did something completely idiotic. So it seems.

As Lina pointed out, he must have done some research, then decided to take that calculated risk, as Lina pointed out. Some people delibeerately place themselves in risky situations; they are competitive and fearless (or nearly so). Some do these stunts for publicity and ego; others because they are curious and challenging.

As much as we think the guy was nuts (as other people have been with their stunts), where would we be if no one pushed themselves to the max? Some of reality comes from dreams and ambition, and the courage to follow through. It's a way of making progress. Something stood out here and that's the comment about NASA's interest in this jump. Apparently they were able to glean useful information from all of this. His jump wasn't strictly to get an adrenaline rush (no doubt he had one though!!!).

So....is he brave or stupid? Maybe some of each. But...he was up to the challenge. Risk taking? Maybe there's a lesson to be learned. Without risk, there isn't a reward. On a lower plain, can we be risk takers on CM and actually get out there and date?

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: ... can we be risk takers on CM and actually get out there and date?
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

... can we be risk takers on CM and actually get out there and date?

--hide--
Battling eyelashes I don't know, Ray--you tell me....

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: I don't know, Ray--you tell me....
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

I don't know, Ray--you tell me....

--hide--
Well, Lina: "Pick you up at 8 and don't be late....."

youtu.be

Posts 1 - 10 of 10