Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

How important is an annulment?

Oct 28th 2012 new

I am a "cradle" catholic who married a, well, nothing I guess--he was not a member of any church.

I attended the class my diocese offered on annulments so I have all of the info but due to family health issues, have not been able to follow through.

My question is how important is an annulment? I still don't fully understand how my marriage could be considered null & void but my kids are legitimate...

Oct 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Betsy-904124 said: I am a "cradle" catholic who married a, well, nothing I guess--he was not a member of a...
(Quote) Betsy-904124 said:

I am a "cradle" catholic who married a, well, nothing I guess--he was not a member of any church.

I attended the class my diocese offered on annulments so I have all of the info but due to family health issues, have not been able to follow through.

My question is how important is an annulment? I still don't fully understand how my marriage could be considered null & void but my kids are legitimate...

--hide--
I was divorced for over twenty years from my former wife who passed away last year. I was a "fallen away" Catholic and married in the Episcopal Church. I didn't want to deligitimize my marriage, so I never got an annulment. It's a moot point now of course. Folks here who know what they're talking about (unlike me) will shortly clue you in.

Oct 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Betsy-904124 said: I am a "cradle" catholic who married a, well, nothing I guess--he was not a member of a...

--hide--

If you wish to marry in the Church, an annulment is required. If you even think it is a possibility, it's better to go through the process sooner rather than later: if you have to go through the full process it can take a fair amount of time, which will seem like an eternity if you are holding off on a relationship waiting for it.

Oct 28th 2012 new

I think it's important. I would not marry somebody that was not free to marry in the Catholic church.

Oct 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: If you wish to marry in the Church, an annulment is required. If you even think it is a p...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

If you wish to marry in the Church, an annulment is required. If you even think it is a possibility, it's better to go through the process sooner rather than later: if you have to go through the full process it can take a fair amount of time, which will seem like an eternity if you are holding off on a relationship waiting for it.

--hide--
Yes Jerry, if you are in a relationship and are deciding for a church wedding, that will speed up the process.

Oct 28th 2012 new

--hide--
An annulment is a determination and declaration by the Church (in the sense we are speaking of here), that the marriage was lacking a requirement to have it considered a sacramental marriage. What it ISN'T is a Catholic version of divorce. Those who apply for an annulment are NOT guaranteed the request will be granted. The grounds for an annulment must have existed at or before the time the marriage took place, not what might have happened afterward. It does NOT mean that the marriage wasn't legal in the eyes of civil authority. That's what determines the legitimacy of the children born of that marriage. An annulment does not change that legitimacy.

Once a person applies for an annulment, the marriage tribunal handling the case will request statements from you, and, to the extent necessary, witnesses that can corroborate your statements. They will ask for evidence if needed, and if possible to obtain. They will examine the documentation, and investigate the circumstances pertaining to your particular case. Your former husband could furnish his statements, but if he refuses, he won't be forced to do so.

How important is an annulment? Well, extremely so!!! If the decision is granted in your favor, it will allow you to remarry in the Catholic Church. It will allow you to date, something that is an issue with many people. A lot of people don't want to date a divorced person (whose marriage hasn't been annulled) because of potential and extreme emotional trauma later on if the relationship becomes serious. Until and unless an annulment is granted, you are still considered married in the eyes of the Church. This can affect your ability to date, and lead to obvious complications.

When is the best time to seek an annulment? As soon as possible, because it will be easier to locate witnesses and obtain statements from them. Sooner is better because their memories are "fresher", and more details are recalled. Waiting can create a problem if witnesses' statements are needed, but they cannot be located, or their memories have faded. It could potentially cause a denial of an annulment.

Some people want to wait because of concern about their emotional state. Unpleasant details may have to be brought to the forefront, and might be unsettling. Waiting become precarious for reasons stated above. Nevertheless, people cannot be forced to seek an annulment; the decision is theirs to make.

Hope this helps and that your family health issues are resolved soon -- for their sake and yours. Your own future way of life may depend on it.

Oct 28th 2012 new

--hide--
Got things backwards a little bit here. We should have said "Welcome" to you for participating in the CM forums. You'll find this to be a vast source of knowledge, wisdom, experience and humor -- plus more. It's a good place to build online friendships, and in many cases, real life friends. We hope you will join us often and offer your own questions, and suggestions to people wanting help. biggrin

Oct 28th 2012 new

--hide--

Many people here will stop reading a profile that says 'Divorced' with no reference to an annulment in process. Your children DO NOT become illegitimate because you are annulled.. Legitimacy is strictly a civil issue. If you look around in the Divorced room you will find many of your questions answered..

Oct 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Got things backwards a little bit here. We should have said "Welcome" to you for particip...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Got things backwards a little bit here. We should have said "Welcome" to you for participating in the CM forums. You'll find this to be a vast source of knowledge, wisdom, experience and humor -- plus more. It's a good place to build online friendships, and in many cases, real life friends. We hope you will join us often and offer your own questions, and suggestions to people wanting help.

--hide--

Thank you for your answer & welcome Ray wave

Oct 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Yes Jerry, if you are in a relationship and are deciding for a church wedding, that will spe...
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said:

Yes Jerry, if you are in a relationship and are deciding for a church wedding, that will speed up the process.

--hide--

Nope.. That is not accurate.. The process takes what it takes..That's why they tell you that you CANNOT plan a wedding in the Church until the annulment is final.

Posts 1 - 10 of 41