Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

I think this topic will make us read the Bible and share with the others what we think about it. If we go off the line, a Moderator will clarify. Let me begin:

What say you about 1 Corinthians 7:1-39

Oct 28th 2012 new
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: I think this topic will make us read the Bible and share with the others what we think about it. If we go ...
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said:

I think this topic will make us read the Bible and share with the others what we think about it. If we go off the line, a Moderator will clarify. Let me begin:

--hide--

There are many teachings in 1 Corinthians 7:1-39. Maybe you could pick one verse to start off the discussion?
Oct 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: (Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: I think this topic will make us read the Bible...
(Quote) Valentin-119637 said:
Quote:
Liberacion-894835 said:

There are many teachings in 1 Corinthians 7:1-39. Maybe you could pick one verse to start off the discussion?
--hide--
Valentin, you pass the test. One of the attacks other religious group has against us Catholics is that we don't know our Bible because we don't read. Yes the chapter is long and there are 39 verses. but the chapter is all about marriage. You can pick a verse and just write down your reflection on it as it relates to you in particular. I wish others would join us because these are words of wisdom. Thanks. I am giving you an A.

Oct 28th 2012 new
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Valentin, you pass the test. One of the attacks other religious group has against us Catholics is that we ...

Valentin, you pass the test. One of the attacks other religious group has against us Catholics is that we don't know our Bible because we don't read. Yes the chapter is long and there are 39 verses. but the chapter is all about marriage. You can pick a verse and just write down your reflection on it as it relates to you in particular. I wish others would join us because these are words of wisdom. Thanks. I am giving you an A.

--hide--

Yes, marriage is definitely one of the topics. Here are a few verses we may want to discuss:

1 Corinthians 7:17 But as the Lord hath distributed to every one, as God hath called every one, so let him walk: and so in all churches I teach. 18 Is any man called, being circumcised ? let him not procure uncircumcision. Is any man called in uncircumcision ? let him not be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing: but the observance of the commandments of God. 20 Let every man abide in the same calling in which he was called.

What the above communicates to me is that we each have a unique calling every moment of our lives. As long as our answer to this call does not violate of any of God's commandments we should rest assured that we are answering this call faithfully.

How do others understand these verses?
Oct 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: Yes, marriage is definitely one of the topics. Here are a few verses we may want to discuss: ...

Yes, marriage is definitely one of the topics. Here are a few verses we may want to discuss:

1 Corinthians 7:17 But as the Lord hath distributed to every one, as God hath called every one, so let him walk: and so in all churches I teach. 18 Is any man called, being circumcised ? let him not procure uncircumcision. Is any man called in uncircumcision ? let him not be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing: but the observance of the commandments of God. 20 Let every man abide in the same calling in which he was called.

What the above communicates to me is that we each have a unique calling every moment of our lives. As long as our answer to this call does not violate of any of God's commandments we should rest assured that we are answering this call faithfully.

--hide--
During the time of Abraham in the Old Testament, God told Abraham that all male had to be circumcised, thus, those who were not circumcised were outsiders, later on labeled as "Gentiles". Circumcision was man's acknowlegement of God's essential role in man's reproductive activity, as in coupling. But in the New Testament, Jesus Christ included the Gentiles to be heirs to the Kingdon of God as well. In the verses quoted it affirms Jesus Christ inclusion of the Gentiles to the Kingdom of God. During the time of Moses when he was given the Ten Commandments, God did not include punitive conditions. In the Civil Law or Laws of the Land, for every violations of the law, there is a corresponding punishment or penalty - if you over-speed, you got a ticket; if you steal, you'd be in prison, but the Commandments of God did not specify what consequences we get if we defy. Our calling is the commandment of God and living live according to our calling set us free and pleasing before our God.

Oct 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: (Quote) Valentin-119637 said: Yes, marriage is definitely one of the...

Quote:
Valentin-119637 said:

During the time of Abraham in the Old Testament, God told Abraham that all male had to be circumcised, thus, those who were not circumcised were outsiders, later on labeled as "Gentiles". Circumcision was man's acknowlegement of God's essential role in man's reproductive activity, as in coupling. But in the New Testament, Jesus Christ included the Gentiles to be heirs to the Kingdon of God as well. In the verses quoted it affirms Jesus Christ inclusion of the Gentiles to the Kingdom of God. During the time of Moses when he was given the Ten Commandments, God did not include punitive conditions. In the Civil Law or Laws of the Land, for every violations of the law, there is a corresponding punishment or penalty - if you over-speed, you got a ticket; if you steal, you'd be in prison, but the Commandments of God did not specify what consequences we get if we defy. Our calling is the commandment of God and living live according to our calling set us free and pleasing before our God.

--hide--

There is so much you have written here. Could you break this down of what you want to discuss?

There is much in the Old Testament of what can and did happen to the ones who defied God's commandments.

Oct 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: (Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Valentin, you pass the test. One of the attack...
Quote:
Liberacion-894835 said:

--hide--

What Paul is saying is that we are called by God , we are all one in Jesus Christ, whether when we are called, are circumsised or not, and whether we are slave or not. For when one is called at what state they are in, is not what is important, but having been called by God is what matters that we are free.

Galatians 3:28 "There does not exist among youJew or Greek, slave or freeman, male or female. All are one in Christ Jesus."

Colossians 3:11 "There is no Greek or Jew here, circumcised or uncircumcised, foreigner, Scythian, slave, or freeman. Rather, Christ is everything in all of you."

Oct 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: (Quote) Valentin-119637 said: (Quote) Liberacion-894835 said:...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Quote:
Valentin-119637 said:
Quote:
Liberacion-894835 said:

What Paul is saying is that we are called by God , we are all one in Jesus Christ, whether when we are called, are circumcised or not, and whether we are slave or not. For when one is called at what state they are in, is not what is important, but having been called by God is what matters that we are free.

Galatians 3:28 "There does not exist among youJew or Greek, slave or freeman, male or female. All are one in Christ Jesus."

Colossians 3:11 "There is no Greek or Jew here, circumcised or uncircumcised, foreigner, Scythian, slave, or freeman. Rather, Christ is everything in all of you."

--hide--

Oct 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: What Paul is saying is that we are called by God , we are all one in Jesus Christ...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

What Paul is saying is that we are called by God , we are all one in Jesus Christ, whether when we are called, are circumsised or not, and whether we are slave or not. For when one is called at what state they are in, is not what is important, but having been called by God is what matters that we are free.

--hide--
I like this. It shows we have knowledge of our Bible and what it means. This is not limited to 1 Corinthians verses only. If you want to join, you can state other verses and relate yourself to it.

Oct 29th 2012 new
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: During the time of Abraham in the Old Testament, God told Abraham that all male had to be circumcised, thu...

--hide--

I'm not sure I agree with the above statement. God has told us the consequences of sin.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death. But the grace of God, life everlasting, in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Posts 1 - 10 of 63