Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

rose Would love wonderful company on a Backroads hiking (maybe biking too) trip through some of Italy's most scenic off the beaten track destinations. Please feel free to goggle search Backroads (co based in N. California) and let me know if you're interested. Thank you!

Oct 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Laura-914021 said: Would love wonderful company on a Backroads hiking (maybe biking too) trip through some of Italy&...
(Quote) Laura-914021 said:

Would love wonderful company on a Backroads hiking (maybe biking too) trip through some of Italy's most scenic off the beaten track destinations. Please feel free to goggle search Backroads (co based in N. California) and let me know if you're interested. Thank you!

--hide--

Sounds wonderful, Laura. However, I have my heart set of still going sometime and walk the Camino de Santiago; the pilgrimage that takes you from France to the Sanctuary in Santiago de Compostela in Spain. I think I'll save myself for that one. I don't know who long the Camino Pilgrimage is, but thousands of people walk it each year and it takes 30-35 days to complete, if you can walk 25-30 miles per day.

en.wikipedia.org

If anyone hasn't seen the movie that Emilio Estevez and his dad, Charlie Sheen filmed, called "The Way", while going on this pilgramage, I recommend it. It is a great film. There is also the book, that Stevez wrote, from which the movie was made, and the book is called "Along the Way" which describes in depth the journey of father and son, to re-discover their roots in Spain and themselves. It is a wonderful book.

Oct 31st 2012 new

Hi Laura,

My interest in hiking / biking in Italy is high.

My sense is that the Backroads price could be beat by a long shot - Backroads wants almost $6000 for 5 nights with meals.

Stying in Italian monastaries could be a slow as 1/10 th the price.

I speak Italian so i am very comfortable navagating in italy.

See the following link:

www.monasterystays.com

All the best,

Bill

Oct 31st 2012 new

I found your reply! Please share more about this sort of travel. I do have my heart set on Backroads. Will keep an open mind.

Oct 31st 2012 new

Hi Maria! I'm happy to meet new friends here too that I can travel with. Love the idea of travel you shared. Please let me know if you wish to contact me further. Happy Halloweeen!

Nov 1st 2012 new

Sounds wonderful! I'll keep it in mind, although the price is steep for me. How strenuous is this type of trip?

Nov 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) William-913931 said: Hi Laura, My interest in hiking / biking in Italy is high. My sense is that the B...
(Quote) William-913931 said:

Hi Laura,

My sense is that the Backroads price could be beat by a long shot - Backroads wants almost $6000 for 5 nights with meals.

See the following link:

www.monasterystays.com

All the best,

Bill

I'd be very interested in doing this! It sounds like it would save lots of money and be a really cool experience! 6K for 5 nights - I could take my 2 kids and myself to Hawaii for a week on that (yes, I know because I just priced that trip with my travek agent). I think the monasteries would give it more of an ethnic feel, maybe making it more authentic. I have thought about going to Italy but just never found anyone to go with - I even have books to learn how to speak some basic Italian. Does anyone have thoughts about a time frame for the trip?

--hide--

Nov 2nd 2012 new
Hi Cella, My sense would be during the months of May, June, Sep. or 1st part of Oct. Less rain, less heat, less tourist. Bill
Nov 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) William-913931 said: Hi Laura, My interest in hiking / biking in Italy is high. My sense is that the B...
(Quote) William-913931 said:

Hi Laura,

See the following link:

www.monasterystays.com

All the best,

Bill

--hide--

Hi Bill, while I appreciate the time you took to reply and make suggestions, in this day and age coordinated and secure travel is a must for woman. That's just one reason why I'm willing to pay a price for security and guidance. A woman just can't take off with a man and travel to save money. Please understand.

Nov 2nd 2012 new

Hi Celia,
This was a post specifically about travel to Italy with a company for security and a great experience. Will you kindly consider opening up another discussion with William regarding travel with strangers? I absolutely wouldn't feel secure taking off with any man I don't know well for travel to save money and I would never teach that to my family.

Posts 1 - 10 of 10