Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: WOW, Jerry, I like your plan. You've obviously put a lot of thought into this. Seems as if I&...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

WOW, Jerry, I like your plan. You've obviously put a lot of thought into this. Seems as if I'm not the only Cowboy fan who is ready for a change,

What do you think the chances are that we'd get Stafford and Holmgren, and not to mention getting getting Jerry Jones to relinquish his strangle hold on the daily operations of the Cowboys?

There's a special tonight on the NFL channel, where Bob Costas will be interviewing Jerry Jones. I saw a snippet of it already and I must say he came across as arrogant and cocky. I'm gonna record the whole interview and view it later. This should be good!!

--hide--
We might have an easier time getting Holmgren than Stafford. I'm sure Matt is in a multi-million dollar contract with the Lions. And THEY KNOW what they have in him....a young Drew Brees! So they won't release him....not yet.

All Jerry Jones needs to do is some simple math.....2012-1995 equals 17 years! What a Championship drought. So he has to ask himself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" or.... "Am I going MAKE my luck with a Coach who can take us to the promised land!"

11/05/2012 new

Time to depart from the sadness of a loss:

When I was bellhop in during my first year of college....the Cowboys drafted a running back named Calvin Hill from Yale. He stayed at the hotel I worked for....for a month while searching for a house. Yours truly got to "room" him and since his room was just down the hall from the bellstand...we were on a first name basis with each other. One time he called the front desk and asked if I could come down to his room...that he had had a problem with his briefcase. I said, "Hey Calvin...what's up?" He said, "Man, this briefcase is brand new...and I lost the key to it....and forgot what combination I gave it. I said, "Well we CAN get this open but it will be ruined" He just looked at me in shock and said, "No man...not an option" So Jerry borrowed a "hair pin" from one of the maids...and began to "pick" the locks. I got it open! He tipped me big and said, "Are you a safecracker?" We both laughed and I said, "Well, guess I am today!"

Of note: In Calvin Hill's rookie season he gained something like 950 yards.....excellent for a rookie!

11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: We might have an easier time getting Holmgren than Stafford. I'm sure Matt is in a multi-mill...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

We might have an easier time getting Holmgren than Stafford. I'm sure Matt is in a multi-million dollar contract with the Lions. And THEY KNOW what they have in him....a young Drew Brees! So they won't release him....not yet.

All Jerry Jones needs to do is some simple math.....2012-1995 equals 17 years! What a Championship drought. So he has to ask himself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" or.... "Am I going MAKE my luck with a Coach who can take us to the promised land!"

--hide--
Jerry, I think you're right about not being able to get Stafford for the Cowboys. In April of 2009 he signed a six year contract for 72 million. The deal included 41.7 mill guaranteed and aslo included an 18.2 mill signing bonus.

So YEP!!! Not gonna get him for the Cowboys!! sad

11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Time to depart from the sadness of a loss: When I was bellhop in during my first year of c...

Time to depart from the sadness of a loss:

When I was bellhop in during my first year of college....the Cowboys drafted a running back named Calvin Hill from Yale. He stayed at the hotel I worked for....for a month while searching for a house. Yours truly got to "room" him and since his room was just down the hall from the bellstand...we were on a first name basis with each other. One time he called the front desk and asked if I could come down to his room...that he had had a problem with his briefcase. I said, "Hey Calvin...what's up?" He said, "Man, this briefcase is brand new...and I lost the key to it....and forgot what combination I gave it. I said, "Well we CAN get this open but it will be ruined" He just looked at me in shock and said, "No man...not an option" So Jerry borrowed a "hair pin" from one of the maids...and began to "pick" the locks. I got it open! He tipped me big and said, "Are you a safecracker?" We both laughed and I said, "Well, guess I am today!"

Of note: In Calvin Hill's rookie season he gained something like 950 yards.....excellent for a rookie!

--hide--
Jerry, you do have some of the best stories. You really need to write a book. I'd be the first in line for an autographed copy. wink wave

Please keep these little treasures coming. It helps us get through the week until our next picks are to be posted. rose

11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: (Quote) Linda-624584 said: Jerry, when you get time, would you care to ela...

Quote:
Linda-624584 said:

Jerry, when you get time, would you care to elaborate on this idea??

I'm VERY interested!!

Yep! First of all I heard his departing news conference the other day from the Browns. (as GM) He indicated one of the things he found out he missed most.....WAS COACHING. That statement there meant he was opening doors for any/all comers.

Second, he and Jerry Jones (owner and GM of the Cowboys) are good friends. (have been on many committees together)

Third, Jason Garrett is an excellent offensive coordinator....but IMHO...and maybe some would disagree....HE IS NOT a head coach. And doesn't command the respect of his players which Mike Holmgren would. (at 6'5 and a sometimes scowl....he is an imposing presence...and is not afraid to get in players faces)

*But here is the IF! Jerry Jones would have to relinquish a considerable amount of control to Holmgren (drafts, personnel etc) or he, Holmgren won't come....and Jones will never see a Championship team again....with a puppet coach.

A distant fourth Linda: I tend to agree with you. Matt Stafford is from Dallas and would make and excellent quarterback (he IS a winner) here in Dallas. And yes there are Tony fans....but after 10 years...he still makes the same mistakes....and holds the ball too long. Even at Eastern Illinois, he took them to the Championship....and lost. I like him....but not as the leader for the Dallas Cowboys

--hide--

Jerry,

I agree with you. I don't think Jason Garrett is head-coach material but better suited as offensive coordinator. Similar situation in Houston. Wade Phillips was never going to be a good head coach but has always been a great defensive coordinator. The Texans are an example of that.

Coaches like Mike Holmgrem, Sean Payton and a few others would not like the interference from Jerry Jones. In Houston, owner Bob McNair allows his general manager, head coach and defensive coordinator to make personnel decisions and then holds them accountable. I have no doubt if the Cowboys had a McNair-type owner, they would have returned to their glory years long ago.

Regarding Tony Romo- once again, I agree with you . He makes the same mistakes over and over. I think Matthew Stafford would be a great fit in Dallas but Detroit would be very foolish to allow him to leave.

Just my opinion.

P. S. I look so forward to the Texans/Bears game this weekend. Both are going into the game 7 - 1.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry,I agree with you. I don't think Jason Garrett is head-coach material but...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Jerry,

I agree with you. I don't think Jason Garrett is head-coach material but better suited as offensive coordinator. Similar situation in Houston. Wade Phillips was never going to be a good head coach but has always been a great defensive coordinator. The Texans are an example of that.

Coaches like Mike Holmgrem, Sean Payton and a few others would not like the interference from Jerry Jones. In Houston, owner Bob McNair allows his general manager, head coach and defensive coordinator to make personnel decisions and then holds them accountable. I have no doubt if the Cowboys had a McNair-type owner, they would have returned to their glory years long ago.

Regarding Tony Romo- once again, I agree with you . He makes the same mistakes over and over. I think Matthew Stafford would be a great fit in Dallas but Detroit would be very foolish to allow him to leave.

Just my opinion.

P. S. I look so forward to the Texans/Bears game this weekend. Both are going into the game 7 - 1.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--
I agree Leon. This matchup is looking like the "game of the season" I am indeed worried for your Texans if it is at Soldier Field. The Bears play at home like the Steelers do. And the Texans did not exactly "mop up" on the Bills....least not at first. Course those types of matchups can be close. But these Bears have seven; yes (7) defensive touchdowns this year. They FEAST as real Bears would on turnovers. In fact Lovie Smith TEACHES them to strip the ball. Guess what? The guy is from Gladewater, Texas! Oh well, too much trivia. But I WILL pull for the Matt Schaub and company...you can bet on it! Blessings my fellow Texan

11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Hello to all,As Jerry and Linda mentioned, we are now in Week 9.Last week, I got 8...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Hello to all,

As Jerry and Linda mentioned, we are now in Week 9.

Last week, I got 8 right.

The Rams, Patriots, Jets and 49ers all have a bye.

Once again, home teams in bold:

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Chargers over the Chiefs

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Broncos over the Bengals

Ravens over the Browns

Packers over the Cardinals

Texans over the Bills

Dolphins over the Colts

Jaguars over the Lions

Bears over the Titans

Redskins over the Panthers

Buccaneers over the Raiders

Seahawks over the Vikings

Giants over the Steelers

Sunday evening

Cowboys over the Falcons (time for the Falcons to lose)

Monday, November 5, 2012

Saints over the Eagles

Last Sunday, the first game shown in Houston was the Steelers and the Redskins. For those that saw the game in their area or have seen the highlights, in my opinion, the Steelers wore the worst looking uniforms I had ever seen in the NFL. To me, they looked like prisoners in their pajamas. By half-time, I could not take it any more, shut off the TV and took a nap.

Also regarding Gerard's topic about playing games overseas - I don't like it. The NFL should play its regular season games in each team's home stadiums. I also hope the NFL never expands outside our 50 United States. I know the Canadians have their own league but let those other countries start their own leagues. Let's keep our regular season games on American soil.

Best wishes on your picks and blessings to all,

Leon

--hide--

Next Sunday, 11/11 Broncos over Carolina Panthers.

11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry,I agree with you. I don...

Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Jerry,

Just my opinion.

Blessings,

Leon

I agree Leon. This matchup is looking like the "game of the season" I am indeed worried for your Texans if it is at Soldier Field. The Bears play at home like the Steelers do. And the Texans did not exactly "mop up" on the Bills....least not at first. Course those types of matchups can be close. But these Bears have seven; yes (7) defensive touchdowns this year. They FEAST as real Bears would on turnovers. In fact Lovie Smith TEACHES them to strip the ball. Guess what? The guy is from Gladewater, Texas! Oh well, too much trivia. But I WILL pull for the Matt Schaub and company...you can bet on it! Blessings my fellow Texan

--hide--

Jerry,

The game is being played Sunday evening at Soldier Field. I consider Lovie Smith as one of the better NFL coaches. Although he played college ball at Tulsa, Lovie never played pro-ball and thus began his long coaching career. The Bears are strong everywhere including special teams except I feel the Texans have a better QB. The Texans will have to play their best game this season.

I also agree the Texans should have beaten the Bills by a much larger score. However, a win is a win.

Until the Texans consistently beat other elite teams, then the media will treat them as a flash-in- the-pan.

Thank you for continuing to share your stories. I have been able to identify with every one of them. A wonderful trip down nostalgia lane.

Blessings always my fellow Texan, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Just a little pondering from a football fan........ As we get ready to put week 9...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Just a little pondering from a football fan........

As we get ready to put week 9 to bed with tonight's game, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to pick against my beloved Cowboys next week. I will do this with a heavy heart, but sometimes a girl's gotta know when to cut her losses and move on.

But while I'm in a "pondering" mood, I have a fantasy scenario that I would love to see played out for my Cowboys next year.......

Dump Romo and get the Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford as the Cowboys quarterback. And while we're at it, how about a new coach??

Thanks for allowing me to step away from reality for a moment. I now return you to your regularly scheduled football thread.

--hide--

Linda,

Don't feel too bad...I pick against the Vikings,when I feel they will probably lose.With their HEAVY schedule upcoming,I can ONLY picture just two more wins.IT KILLS me to go in the other direction,but the head must rule over the heart,when in competive play(disclaimer:I might choose them more often,out of a desperate hope). shhh laughing

The Vikings will not be a consistent team until they get Christian Ponder,to make better decisions.A couple of wide receivers are desperately needed.

11/05/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Yeah....like Mike Holmgren!

Yeah....like Mike Holmgren!

--hide--

He was great with the Packers,years back.

Posts 41 - 50 of 200