Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Computer Help...

Nov 5th 2012 new

My laptop is giving me a number of issues(Windows 7):

Web browser issues:

Internet Explorer 9 gives the"IE has stopped working" message,almost every time I use it.

Mozilla Firefox uses Babylon,as a search engine.When turning the pages on CM,it will occasionaly jump to" LDS singles".I often receive error messages when attempting to open my email.

Google Chrome won't even start up...I get the "re-install"message,every time.I have done so a number of times,with the same result. irked

Recently,I installed PC Matic.It did help to increase the speed,but didn't do much to stop annoying pop-ups.I uninstalled the program,but can't get rid of all of some of its "components".

I'm not that familiar with all the terminology,so PLEASE keep that in mind... laughing

ANY good suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank You.

Nov 5th 2012 new
You might try an email to Jerry the Moderator...I think he is good with computers. Unfortunately it was my son that was my resident PC expert....just one of the little reasons I miss my son.
Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Gerard-400247 said: My laptop is giving me a number of issues(Windows 7): Web browser issues: Internet...
(Quote) Gerard-400247 said:

Web browser issues:

Internet Explorer 9 gives the"IE has stopped working" message,almost every time I use it.

Mozilla Firefox uses Babylon,as a search engine.When turning the pages on CM,it will occasionaly jump to" LDS singles".I often receive error messages when attempting to open my email.

Google Chrome won't even start up...I get the "re-install"message,every time.I have done so a number of times,with the same result.

Recently,I installed PC Matic.It did help to increase the speed,but didn't do much to stop annoying pop-ups.I uninstalled the program,but can't get rid of all of some of its "components".

I'm not that familiar with all the terminology,so PLEASE keep that in mind...

Thank You.

--hide--

I can refer you to a computer repair shop located in Miami. send me an email if you want asking for his phone number. He may even tell you how to fix it over the phone.

when internet explorer quit working on my laptop I changed over to google...gmail. that was the fix I needed. there is a man on here who knows a lot about computers. I'll look up his number to give to you. his name is steve.

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Gerard-400247 said: My laptop is giving me a number of issues(Windows 7): Web browser issues: Internet...

Web browser issues:

Google Chrome won't even start up...I get the "re-install"message,every time.I have done so a number of times,with the same result.

Thank You.

--hide--
Gerald, make all your headaches go away: www.apple.com applecomputer

Nov 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Gerald, make all your headaches go away: www.apple.com
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Gerald, make all your headaches go away: www.apple.com

--hide--
Gerard, my apologies for misspelling your name.

Nov 5th 2012 new
Gerard, The cause of your Internet Explorer issue is almost always related to an addon that is installed within your browser such as a toolbar. I would recommend uninstalling all toolbars if you have any. You mentioned that you have Babylon as a search engine in Firefox. That leads me to believe that you also have Babylon components in IE as well. Babylon is malware and you will want to remove it. That could be causing the crash. To make this as easy as possible I would manually remove all toolbars that you have installed through the control panel (Babylon, Yahoo, Google, ect) and then I would reset IE back to the default settings. Click the "Tools" button in the top right and then click "Internet Options". Click the "Advanced" tab and then click the "Reset" button down at the bottom and then restart IE and observe if the problem persists. You could also manually disable single addons by clicking the "Tools" button at the top right and then clicking "Manage addons". You will then have the ability to select individual addons to disable and then observe if you still have the problem. I would recommend downloading Malwarebytes (Free for home use) and running a quick scan and remove all that it finds.

Your Firefox issue will be resolved after you remove Babylon from your machine and change your search engine back to something normal such as Bing or Google.

Have you tried uninstalling Google Chrome yet and reinstalling it? I would recommend choosing one secondary browser such as Firefox and use it along side IE and then remove Google Chrome entirely. We have had a lot of issues with Google Chrome installations at work. I would either choose Firefox or Opera as a secondary browser and stick with it. If you really want Chrome then I would just uninstall it and reinstall it.

The speed of your computer is almost entirely dependent on what you have running in the background. This would include autostarts and third party services. You can click the start button and type in msconfig in the search box and then hit enter. Go to the "Startup" tab and uncheck anything that you are sure you do not need running on startup. Click the "Services" tab and then check "Hide all Microsoft Services". You will then see how many third party services you have running and you can uncheck the ones that are not needed. You could also use a program called Autoruns by Microsoft which is more advanced. You can do all of this at your own risk of course. The easiest way to go about doing this for the average user is probably just going into your control panel and uninstalling all applications that you don't need.
Nov 6th 2012 new

my son suggests backing up all important files,, and completely formatting hardrive and reinstalling windows.to format, you need a windows boot disc for install to boot it, access text command, type format c: erases whole hard drive. reinstall windows with imp files. This is an extreme solution to your problem, but it seems you have layers of internet problems and dns problems and registry problems, so this is a fix all.

Nov 6th 2012 new

Web browser issues:

Thank You.

--hide--
applecomputer rolling eyes

Nov 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: You might try an email to Jerry the Moderator...I think he is good with computers. Unfortunately it was ...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: You might try an email to Jerry the Moderator...I think he is good with computers. Unfortunately it was my son that was my resident PC expert....just one of the little reasons I miss my son.
--hide--

Good idea.

Nov 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Ryan-900446 said: Gerard, The cause of your Internet Explorer issue is almost always related to an addon that is installed ...
(Quote) Ryan-900446 said: Gerard, The cause of your Internet Explorer issue is almost always related to an addon that is installed within your browser such as a toolbar. I would recommend uninstalling all toolbars if you have any. You mentioned that you have Babylon as a search engine in Firefox. That leads me to believe that you also have Babylon components in IE as well. Babylon is malware and you will want to remove it. That could be causing the crash. To make this as easy as possible I would manually remove all toolbars that you have installed through the control panel (Babylon, Yahoo, Google, ect) and then I would reset IE back to the default settings. Click the "Tools" button in the top right and then click "Internet Options". Click the "Advanced" tab and then click the "Reset" button down at the bottom and then restart IE and observe if the problem persists. You could also manually disable single addons by clicking the "Tools" button at the top right and then clicking "Manage addons". You will then have the ability to select individual addons to disable and then observe if you still have the problem. I would recommend downloading Malwarebytes (Free for home use) and running a quick scan and remove all that it finds.

Your Firefox issue will be resolved after you remove Babylon from your machine and change your search engine back to something normal such as Bing or Google.

Have you tried uninstalling Google Chrome yet and reinstalling it? I would recommend choosing one secondary browser such as Firefox and use it along side IE and then remove Google Chrome entirely. We have had a lot of issues with Google Chrome installations at work. I would either choose Firefox or Opera as a secondary browser and stick with it. If you really want Chrome then I would just uninstall it and reinstall it.

The speed of your computer is almost entirely dependent on what you have running in the background. This would include autostarts and third party services. You can click the start button and type in msconfig in the search box and then hit enter. Go to the "Startup" tab and uncheck anything that you are sure you do not need running on startup. Click the "Services" tab and then check "Hide all Microsoft Services". You will then see how many third party services you have running and you can uncheck the ones that are not needed. You could also use a program called Autoruns by Microsoft which is more advanced. You can do all of this at your own risk of course. The easiest way to go about doing this for the average user is probably just going into your control panel and uninstalling all applications that you don't need.
--hide--

Ryan,

Thank you for the detailed explanation.I will install a malware removal system.As for Firefox,I find that if you click the arrow and highlight "private browsing",it is quite helpful and cuts down on system interference.

Posts 1 - 10 of 13