Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Addressing the Holidays

Nov 7th 2012 new
Officially the holiday season is a few weeks away, but we all have seen the blatant signs of it coming. Are you ready? Often the season is difficult for us singles. It's hard to be alone in the sea of marrieds we are with at family gatherings, office parties, church, and other areas of our life. Do you have a plan for making sure that you get the most out of the holidays? Or are you planning on wallowing in the misery? Do you have some secret strategies that you can share with us?

I contemplated this today when I heard my first Christmas song on the radio (I know, some of you heard it in September) and I realized I'm not ready. But I have a plan! I am attending a few CM gatherings. I have found I am never uncomfortable or down about the holidays when I know I'll be celebrating with great CM friends! (There are already at least a dozen definite attendees. wink ) Come join us at the CM Indy Christmas party on the first Sunday of Advent! We'd love to celebrate with you! party
Nov 7th 2012 new
Here's a link to the events page www.catholicmatch.com

(meant to have it in there. irked )
Nov 7th 2012 new
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: Officially the holiday season is a few weeks away, but we all have seen the blatant signs of it coming. Are you read...
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: Officially the holiday season is a few weeks away, but we all have seen the blatant signs of it coming. Are you ready? Often the season is difficult for us singles. It's hard to be alone in the sea of marrieds we are with at family gatherings, office parties, church, and other areas of our life. Do you have a plan for making sure that you get the most out of the holidays? Or are you planning on wallowing in the misery? Do you have some secret strategies that you can share with us?

I contemplated this today when I heard my first Christmas song on the radio (I know, some of you heard it in September) and I realized I'm not ready. But I have a plan! I am attending a few CM gatherings. I have found I am never uncomfortable or down about the holidays when I know I'll be celebrating with great CM friends! (There are already at least a dozen definite attendees. ) Come join us at the CM Indy Christmas party on the first Sunday of Advent! We'd love to celebrate with you!
--hide--

hug hug You know I wish I could join you but you will be in my prayers. My plan for the holidays this year includes continuing to work on my house. It is feeling like a home now & that makes me very happy. I plan on decorating a tree and yes some of my ornaments will be sentimental ones. But for me Christmas is about Advent, a time of preparation & prayer. It is about family & taking time to tell them how much we love them. It is also about friends & attending a party or two. I may even plan a small one this year & invite those who I know are alone or lonely because when Christmas arrives I want that joy. Joy that Christ was born & loves us the same today, tomorrow & always. theheart theheart theheart
Nov 7th 2012 new
That would be a fun time, I'm sure, Dawn! Wish I could afford to attend.

The holidays have not been a very happy or enjoyable time for me since maybe my childhood. In recent years, many family members have passed on, so our holiday table has been shrinking and shrinking. And those that do gather, well, they have "fun" challenges of their own. But I get sad about "what used to be" only if I stop to ponder, and I am usually too busy to do that.

As far as seeing those blatant signs of the holiday season so early in the year---YUCK! Makes me mad. I love to hear Christmas carols all the month of December, but the store displays before then disappoint me.
Nov 7th 2012 new
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: You know I wish I could join you but you will be in my prayers. My plan for the holidays this year inc...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

You know I wish I could join you but you will be in my prayers. My plan for the holidays this year includes continuing to work on my house. It is feeling like a home now & that makes me very happy. I plan on decorating a tree and yes some of my ornaments will be sentimental ones. But for me Christmas is about Advent, a time of preparation & prayer. It is about family & taking time to tell them how much we love them. It is also about friends & attending a party or two. I may even plan a small one this year & invite those who I know are alone or lonely because when Christmas arrives I want that joy. Joy that Christ was born & loves us the same today, tomorrow & always.
--hide--

hug Thank you, Brenda! I know that we will be praying for each other. And I know that someday we'll meet you at a gathering. It sounds like you have a good plan for enjoying the real spirit of the season. I like the idea of inviting others who may being feeling worse about the holidays. That's such a gift-- being selfless that way. I'm glad that home is feeling "home" now. heart
Nov 7th 2012 new
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: That would be a fun time, I'm sure, Dawn! Wish I could afford to attend. The holidays have not ...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: That would be a fun time, I'm sure, Dawn! Wish I could afford to attend.

The holidays have not been a very happy or enjoyable time for me since maybe my childhood. In recent years, many family members have passed on, so our holiday table has been shrinking and shrinking. And those that do gather, well, they have "fun" challenges of their own. But I get sad about "what used to be" only if I stop to ponder, and I am usually too busy to do that.

As far as seeing those blatant signs of the holiday season so early in the year---YUCK! Makes me mad. I love to hear Christmas carols all the month of December, but the store displays before then disappoint me.
--hide--

I'm with you about the YUCK!, Lina. It's backwards-- they spend no time actually celebrating the real seasons. All the music is gone by 12/25 pm. weeping weeping

I hope that Advent brings you much joy this year! Praying
Nov 7th 2012 new

After Mass on Christmas morning, I'll go to the movies then to a Chinese restaurant for dinner. Problem solved.

The Jews are wise and always know how best to handle a cruddy situation like what Christmas has become in our society.

grinch X 1,000,000,000 = biggrin

Nov 7th 2012 new
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: That would be a fun time, I'm sure, Dawn! Wish I could afford to attend. The holidays have not ...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: That would be a fun time, I'm sure, Dawn! Wish I could afford to attend.

--hide--

hug rosary Perhaps focusing on what advent is will help. I do daily readings & try to attend as many extra masses as possible. Sometimes when that is not possible I just slip into the church & pray by myself. It really does help put my focus back on the birth of Jesus. theheart
Nov 7th 2012 new
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: Thank you, Brenda! I know that we will be praying for each other. And I know that someday we'll meet yo...
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said:

Thank you, Brenda! I know that we will be praying for each other. And I know that someday we'll meet you at a gathering. It sounds like you have a good plan for enjoying the real spirit of the season. I like the idea of inviting others who may being feeling worse about the holidays. That's such a gift-- being selfless that way. I'm glad that home is feeling "home" now.
--hide--

rolling eyes I actually started this when my son was little trying to help teach him what the true meaning of Christmas/Advent was. And he learned well, when he was alive he always had several college/high school buddies that had no one who cared enough to make time to prepare holiday meals. I think the saddest thing when young people get past the age of 16 is that parents forget family is still first after God & that it is important to plan family gatherings especially during the holiday season.
Nov 8th 2012 new

My invitation got lost in the mail. sad weeping

Posts 1 - 10 of 66