Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Dominican Rite

Oct 27th 2012 new

It looks like I will have an opportunity to go to a Dominican Rite Mass in a couple of weeks. Has anybody else been to one? Does anybody have a link to a Latin/English missal?

Oct 27th 2012 new
Here's a video of a Dominican-rite Mass www.youtube.com

en.wikipedia.org
Nov 8th 2012 new

Are these done regularly? I heard that pre-Vatican II they had their own rite done in Latin, but I'm too young to have ever seen it.

Nov 8th 2012 new
Watch the YouTube clip.
Nov 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Eric-114571 said: Are these done regularly? I heard that pre-Vatican II they had their own rite done in Latin, but I...
(Quote) Eric-114571 said:

Are these done regularly? I heard that pre-Vatican II they had their own rite done in Latin, but I'm too young to have ever seen it.

--hide--

It dates back to the 13th century, so it's several centruies older than the Tridentine Mass.

This particular parish does it twice a year (Feast of St. Dominic and Anneversary of Deceased Members of the Dominican Order)

Nov 9th 2012 new

So I just got back from the Mass. It was really impressive.

The church building is a bit more than a hundred years old, made of brick. Traditional architchture, looks older than it is, actually.

It was a Requiem Mass, got started a couple hours after dark and they had most of the lights out. The choir (which is a professional or semi-professional group that's good enough they will be performing at the Kennedy Center) did a fantastic job!

A great experience, really glad I went! Wish I hadn't missed out on the Feast of St. Dominic a few months back!

Nov 12th 2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: It dates back to the 13th century, so it's several centruies older than the Tridentin...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

It dates back to the 13th century, so it's several centruies older than the Tridentine Mass.

This particular parish does it twice a year (Feast of St. Dominic and Anneversary of Deceased Members of the Dominican Order)

--hide--

Wow, I had no idea that mass was that much older than the Tridentine Mass.

Nov 12th 2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: So I just got back from the Mass. It was really impressive. The church building is...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

So I just got back from the Mass. It was really impressive.

The church building is a bit more than a hundred years old, made of brick. Traditional architchture, looks older than it is, actually.

It was a Requiem Mass, got started a couple hours after dark and they had most of the lights out. The choir (which is a professional or semi-professional group that's good enough they will be performing at the Kennedy Center) did a fantastic job!

A great experience, really glad I went! Wish I hadn't missed out on the Feast of St. Dominic a few months back!

--hide--
I need to do that! There is a church about 40 miles away that has them. I wish I knew Latin.

Nov 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Eric-114571 said: Wow, I had no idea that mass was that much older than the Tridentine Mass.
(Quote) Eric-114571 said:

Wow, I had no idea that mass was that much older than the Tridentine Mass.

--hide--

One of the reasons it survived is that it was a couple centuries older than Protestanism- nobody was worried that heresies from Calvan or Luther had been incorporated.

Nov 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Marirose-887295 said: I need to do that! There is a church about 40 miles away that has them. I wish I knew Latin.
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:

I need to do that! There is a church about 40 miles away that has them. I wish I knew Latin.

--hide--

Knowledge of Latin isn't absolutely required; it's impossible to hear much of what is being said anyway. It IS important to know what is going on.

I think the older forms of the Mass are designed to connect more with the emotional side than the logical (which is not to say that logic is irrelevant). They do a good job of giving you a sense of wonder, awe, and reverence. A much better job of that than the ordinary form of the Mass. That is no doubt why there are people who are attached to the older form.

If you want to try a latin Mass and haven't done so before, I'd suggest that you get there early and read through the missal a couple of times so you have a decent grip on what is happening even though you obviously aren't going to have every word or even paragraph down. Then just let yourself experience the Mass without worrying about exactly what sentance the Priest is speaking at the moment. Ability to follow along will improve with time, and I think it's a mistake with becoming so wrapped up in following along on the level of the words being spoken that you lose site of what is happening at the alter. The proverbial problem of being unable to see the forest for the trees.

Posts 1 - 10 of 12