Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: He can testify as a private citizen or they can subpoena him. So, it might take a bit l...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

He can testify as a private citizen or they can subpoena him. So, it might take a bit longer, but I do believe he will be called to testify. I do feel sorry for his wife forever. It is bad enough to have a husband who cheats, but to then come out in public is awful for the woman- how embarrassing to air one's dirty laundry in public!

--hide--
Well, as of now, it is reported that he won't be testifying do to the resignation...I sure hope you are right because that doesn't make sense to me at all!!! We'll see, I guess.

Nov 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: BREAKING NEWS - CIA Director David Petraeus has submitted his resignation. He asked to be relea...

BREAKING NEWS - CIA Director David Petraeus has submitted his resignation. He asked to be released for "personal" reasons. But, this is very coincidentaly timing - 3 days after Obama's reelection. Normally this position is very stable and does not change when President is reelected. FOX news has also reported that there was a meeting scheduled yesterday for CIA higherups which was cancelled, and instead Petraeus was called into a meeting with President Obama yesterday. Petraeus is saying that he is resigning because he had engaged in an extra-marital affair (he has been married 37 years).

Does anyone besides me think he is really resigning because he had an affair? If so, most of the White House cabinet and administration should probably resign (I know I'm being a bit cynical here). And, he resigns right before the biggest hearings on Benghazi? I suspect a deal has been struck between Mr. Obama and Mr. Petraeus.

--hide--

Whatever the real reason, you do have to admit that resigning because he had an affair was at least somewhat noble, unlike the elder Statesman of the Democratic Party with the intial WJC from Hope.

Nov 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Whatever the real reason, you do have to admit that resigning because he had an affair wa...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Whatever the real reason, you do have to admit that resigning because he had an affair was at least somewhat noble, unlike the elder Statesman of the Democratic Party with the intial WJC from Hope.

--hide--

Yes, I do think the resignation was appropriate. What bothers me is the public nature of all this which is really hurtful to Holly Petraeus and likely to the husband of the woman he had an affair with. I just read a bit about all of them. Petraeus is 70, his wife is 60. The woman he had an affair with is 40, married with 2 young children (4 and 6), married to a radiologist, and is a doctoral candidate (hasn't finished dissertation yet, I think). So, this was adultery for both parties. Truly, I don't understand why a woman 40 years old with 2 young children, a good career, husband and home would do this. I do understand (but don't condone) why a 70 year old man would be tempted by a 40 year old woman. I feel sorry for the spouses of Petraeus and this woman. Oh, and the news said this affair starte July 2011. What a public mess!

Nov 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: BREAKING NEWS - CIA Director David Petraeus has submitted his resignation. He asked to be relea...

BREAKING NEWS - CIA Director David Petraeus has submitted his resignation. He asked to be released for "personal" reasons. But, this is very coincidentaly timing - 3 days after Obama's reelection. Normally this position is very stable and does not change when President is reelected. FOX news has also reported that there was a meeting scheduled yesterday for CIA higherups which was cancelled, and instead Petraeus was called into a meeting with President Obama yesterday. Petraeus is saying that he is resigning because he had engaged in an extra-marital affair (he has been married 37 years).

Does anyone besides me think he is really resigning because he had an affair? If so, most of the White House cabinet and administration should probably resign (I know I'm being a bit cynical here). And, he resigns right before the biggest hearings on Benghazi? I suspect a deal has been struck between Mr. Obama and Mr. Petraeus.

--hide--

I think this is some sort of media hype, designed to take up space on pages, and keep Americans talking about this nonsense.

We should not even give it any credence. Something else is probably going on, as you say.

Nov 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Well, as of now, it is reported that he won't be testifying do to the resignation...I sure h...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Well, as of now, it is reported that he won't be testifying do to the resignation...I sure hope you are right because that doesn't make sense to me at all!!! We'll see, I guess.

--hide--

Petraeus will be subpoenaed. I wonder if he resigned to avoid being blackmailed by the White House? It is an interesting thought.

- Elizabeth

Nov 10th 2012 new

Supposedly Petraeus was a big Romney supporter. Whatever the former's involvement in the Benghazi fiasco, Obama wants him out.

Nov 10th 2012 new

There is a lot of speculation going on here with very little in the way of facts. I strongly suspect that if the sitting president weren't so thorougly disliked hereabouts, there would be a lot less suspicion.

It is entirely possible, perhaps even probable, that we aren't hearing the whole story. But that doesn't mean it's time to start hatching conspiracy theories. There needs to be much more evidence on the table for that to become credible.

Petraeus was head of the CIA, and there are all kinds of embarrassing things that, while not illegal, can cost you a security clearance. Can't really function in an intelligence organization without one. He may well be stepping down rather than having something like that play out in public.

Just something to think about.

Nov 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: Petraeus will be subpoenaed. I wonder if he resigned to avoid being blackmailed ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

Petraeus will be subpoenaed. I wonder if he resigned to avoid being blackmailed by the White House? It is an interesting thought.

- Elizabeth

--hide--
It is possible....anything is possible.

Nov 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Whatever the real reason, you do have to admit that resigning because he had an affair wa...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

--hide--
Not noble at all....how long has he been having this affair and he JUST NOW has to resign five days before he was supposed to testify. And he has to make his reason for resigning PUBLIC when it would embarrass his wife to the world....no not noble.

Nov 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Not noble at all....how long has he been having this affair and he JUST NOW has to resign five d...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Not noble at all....how long has he been having this affair and he JUST NOW has to resign five days before he was supposed to testify. And he has to make his reason for resigning PUBLIC when it would embarrass his wife to the world....no not noble.

--hide--

Cheryl, reread my note. My point was that it was nobel in comparison to Clinton. Did not mean or imply anything else.

Clinton did not have the decency to resign. Everyone around him supported him when they should have dropped him like a hot potato.

I am not ready to accept any conspiracy theories behind this resignation. To me the only significant thing about it is that the reason why he resigned was made so public.

Common decency should have dictated a quit resignation with no publicity to prevent or at least miimize the embarassment for all the parties involved; him, his wife, his mistress and her husband.

Unfortunately, today our society looks on scandel as entertainment rather the sordid, sinful mess it really is.

Posts 11 - 20 of 124