Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

11/11/2012 new
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: There are still lots of things to do in order to fend off the dark days. I am cooking the big meal even tho...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

There are still lots of things to do in order to fend off the dark days. I am cooking the big meal even though my daughter will be out of town for Thanksgiving. I have extended an invitation to several in my parish that I know have no close relatives. I may be alone, but that's still OK.

I took several extra days off that week to prepare my home for Advent. Things are really exciting with a little person in my home. He's excited about a Jesse tree and Advent candles. He's excited about making a gift for his mom, secrets, wrapping gifts, cooking baking and candy making.

When we think about what we don't have, let's give a thought to those who have less. There are shelters that need help. Women's shelters are bursting this time of year, usually at the last minute and children who need to know that there is still magic even in the most dire of circumstances. There are children stuck on the cancer floor. Go read one a book, play a game, listen, pray with them.

Dawn..your get togethers sound fun...why not use one as a planning session...plan a trip for caroling to a seniors center, a wrapping session for Operation Christmas, put a holiday food basket together for donation. Just a thought as we are all active in our churches. We all have a lot of love to give. I hope all of our holiday plans bring us together in love and service to God.

--hide--

Annemarie, thank you for the suggestion. You know, I've thought of having a canned food drive or having the group volunteer during one of our events. We've talked about it a bit. The conclusion has been that we all tend to be people already active in our parishes and communities doing those things. The events tend to be food for our soul by way of being a community of faith so that we can go back to our communities to do the hard work we do in our ministries. We need our social time. But I am thinking of maybe doing a service project as an event in the spring or summer.
11/11/2012 new
(Quote) Will-706257 said: I usually don't have a bad Christmas/Thanksgiving season. It helps having a daughter, so as long as we get ...
(Quote) Will-706257 said:

I usually don't have a bad Christmas/Thanksgiving season. It helps having a daughter, so as long as we get to spend time together, it's good.

I also usually get to spend some time with my old high school friends, jeez grade school friends. A lot of us are still local. So, I feel pretty comfortable with them.

But, certainly if anyone is feeling lonely during Advent and Christmas, shout out. There will be lots of people on CM to reach out with love.

God Bless,

Will

--hide--

Hi Will. Yes, family does a lot to help us singles during the holidays. Though, there are those times that I am surrounded by family and still feel lonely. Not often, fortunately. But you bring up a great point-- we are never alone to the point that there is no one for us. That's part of the beauty of CM-- there are people from all over the world here who know what it is to be single.
11/11/2012 new
(Quote) Paul-302787 said: I plan on going to a Pro-Life Gala sponsored by the young adults ministry of the Archdiocese of San Antonio...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said:

I plan on going to a Pro-Life Gala sponsored by the young adults ministry of the Archdiocese of San Antonio in December. I look most certainly forward to it!
--hide--

That's an awesome way to get out and meet people, Paul. Have a great time!!
11/11/2012 new
(Quote) Melissa-155765 said: I would love to attend again the "Simbang Gabi" (Mass at dawn from Dec. 16 - 24) which is a Fi...
(Quote) Melissa-155765 said:

I would love to attend again the "Simbang Gabi" (Mass at dawn from Dec. 16 - 24) which is a Filipino tradition in preparation for the birthday of our Lord at Christmas. However, I am not sure if I will be able to do it because I have work during the day. In case I cannot make it to the "Simbang Gabi", I will attend the Christmas Triduum from Dec. 22 - 24 then spend Christmas Day with my mom and my cousin's family who live near us.

Also, as Dawn had mentioned Christmas song, I was reminded of my fave Christmas songs from several years ago and I'd like to share them with all of you. Happy listening!

www.youtube.com and www.youtube.com
--hide--

Thank you, Melissa! Soon, it will be time to put the tunes on 24/7. note wave
11/11/2012 new
(Quote) Terri-802698 said: After last year's Holiday season being a sad one for me (my father passed in September, and my mother is go...
(Quote) Terri-802698 said:

After last year's Holiday season being a sad one for me (my father passed in September, and my mother is gone too) I'm trying to think of things to do to make this year much better. No kids, or nieces or nephews yet, just my brother and his wife.
Even with electronic technology, do people still snail mail Christmas cards? That would be a start. Then, my parish has a Giving Tree for children and local nursing home residents, so I'll contribute a gift there.
Any other ideas out there?

--hide--

I still send some snailmail cards.

I like your ideas, Terri. Lifelong friends of mine and I have a tradition of going shopping together for a giving tree item. It's a good reminder that it is about the giving not the getting.

Do you bake at Christmas time? Do you decorate? I flip-flop with both of those. Some years I want nothing to do with that. other years I can't find enough people to shower with Christmas cheer.

How about volunteering to help at a school during the holiday time? With all of the parties, pageants, and decorating there is often class-time sacrificed. I know that if I had a volunteer during that time when I was teaching, it would have been a great blessing.
11/11/2012 new
Thank you so much for the many prayers Dawn! I can say that my family members, and they are many, are safe; for this I give thanks as Thanksgiving approaches to Our Lord and the Blessed Mother. I believe she really did wrap her mantel around us. Many on the coast and elsewhere are still struggling, so continued prayer is needed. I encourage people if they have the means to get a statue of Our Lady and place it in a place of honor in your house/apartment or yard. The one I have is from my late Mom, and I believe Our Lady protected us from falling trees. As to Christmas, yes being around the little ones is the best part for me. I got a little taste of that today as two of the littlest ones ran around my house for a few hours. It was a lot of fun and now I find myself ready for a nap. (Not quite time for St. Nicholas to come yet though.) Thanks again Dawn.
11/11/2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: There are still lots of things to do in order to fend off the dark days. I am cooking the big...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

There are still lots of things to do in order to fend off the dark days. I am cooking the big meal even though my daughter will be out of town for Thanksgiving. I have extended an invitation to several in my parish that I know have no close relatives. I may be alone, but that's still OK.

When we think about what we don't have, let's give a thought to those who have less. There are shelters that need help. Women's shelters are bursting this time of year, usually at the last minute and children who need to know that there is still magic even in the most dire of circumstances. There are children stuck on the cancer floor. Go read one a book, play a game, listen, pray with them.

--hide--

Good reminder AnneMarie. I'll be missing my son this year.

11/11/2012 new

Praying I have a lot of the same feelings that you have towards the holidays. My family is somewhat in dissarry..in my opinion..I just have my parents left ...and they are not much fun to be around....especially my dad who is not in very good health..in my opinion.. I will pray for you to have a blessed holiday season and to remember what advent is all about .not the xmas hype and "stuff" that we get...but a solemn quiet time for reflection and prayer...oh how I wish I were Jewish sometimes...Jesus was a Jew..Anyway.. best wishes for a blessed holiday season.. Michael

11/12/2012 new

Missing people is sad, Marirose. I'm sorry. I think that's why I mentioned the seniors center. There are so many there that have no company. I think as the babyboomers edge up, that number is going to skyrocket. So many folks did not marry, or chose not to have children. I'm going to be asking around. As for the women's shelters, they usually have enough, just need hands to wrap, smiles for the get togethers. I'm going to start making some calls. heart

11/12/2012 new
Well i get my children for Thanksgiving so thats a plus. Christmas this year, for the first time in thirty years i will be alone well without humans. Not sure how that will go, i will have to see. I may try to make the Indy thing depending on finances etc. So what will I do ? Attend as Many Masses as i can i think. Maybe fix a goose. Not sure. I rarely decorate for any holiday. Guess thats a man thing. Maybe ill watch the passion on the tv. Im trying to make this about Christ and not about santa. We shall see.
Posts 31 - 40 of 66