Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Just bought today a collectors' edition by U.S.News "Secrets of the Bible" There are several topics discussed on the mysteries of Faith. but there was, mentioned in passing (page 12), about the best selling novels made into a movie entitled "Left Behind" by LaHaye and Jenkins. Do you think these scenarios about the end of times would have real posssibilities? Note: We can also discuss all the topics in this magazine to make this thread more informative.

Nov 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Just bought today a collectors' edition by U.S.News "Secrets of the Bible" The...
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said:

Just bought today a collectors' edition by U.S.News "Secrets of the Bible" There are several topics discussed on the mysteries of Faith. but there was, mentioned in passing (page 12), about the best selling novels made into a movie entitled "Left Behind" by LaHaye and Jenkins. Do you think these scenarios about the end of times would have real posssibilities? Note: We can also discuss all the topics in this magazine to make this thread more informative.

--hide--

Can't discuss much since I don't have the magazine. What does it say?

Nov 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Can't discuss much since I don't have the magazine. What does it say?
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Can't discuss much since I don't have the magazine. What does it say?

--hide--
Cindy, here are the topics:

PROPHETS AND SEERS

Divining the future Are prophesies regarding our future possible? We can cite any prophesy we heard of.

Abraham and his children How about Ishmael and Isaac, Which generations are God's chosen ones?

Moses, Revered by Three Faiths Was the story of Moses real? How about the Plight from Egypt, the Ten Commandments

Joseph Smith's vision Was the story of Joseph Smiths finding the book of Mormons believable?

JESUS AND HIS TIMES

Who was this man? How much do you know Jesus Christ? Is he the Son of God? What are his proofs?

In his Footsteps Would you be his disciple? Would you believe in his Gospel?

A Focus on the First Christmas Is the Christmas story true?

WOMEN ICONIC AND INFAMOUS

Lust and Politics Do women have religeous or political roles like Bathsheba?

The Wicked Pagan Queen Stories about Jezebel and her biblical significance

The Conquest of 900 Charlots How about Deborah? Was her role significant?

A Mother's Tale What does the Bible say about Mary, the Mother of Jesus?

Long a Miscast Outcast What about Mary Magdalene? Was it true that she is the wife of Jesus?

CONTROVERSIES AND DISCOVERIES

Digging for Proof Archeologists findings as proofs. What are they?

In Search of Noah's Flood Is the story about the flood true. What have we found as proofs?

Where was the Garden Have we ever located the Garden of Eden?

Legends of the Lost Ark What happened to the Ark of the Covenant?

We can pick any of the above topics and see if our Catholic views either match or differ from the authors. The italics are my guide questions

Nov 12th 2012 new
Thanks. Ok now you start it, this could take til the end of the year. Interesting.
Nov 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Thanks. Ok now you start it, this could take til the end of the year. Interesting.
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Thanks. Ok now you start it, this could take til the end of the year. Interesting.
--hide--
I love this Cindy. Let us begin with the first topic - Divining our future: This has to do with all kinds of prophesies regarding our future Fate. Have you heard of any and what can you say about it? The "Left behind" novels, would that be possible? Then after this we will move to the next topic. I know you and many other CM members have something to say about how the world will end and what does our Catholic teaching say about it?

Nov 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Just bought today a collectors' edition by U.S.News "Secrets of the Bible" The...

--hide--
My response to fundamentalists who argue their belief in the rapture and say I'll be among the "left behind" is, "Can I have your stuff?"

Nov 12th 2012 new
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Just bought today a collectors' edition by U.S.News "Secrets of the Bible" There are several...

--hide--

Hello Liberacion,

To answer many of your questions, the book "The Rapture Trap: A Catholic Response to "End Times" Fever" by Paul Thigpen is a superb resource. The Left Behind series is entertaining reading, but full of theological errors that potentially could lead one astray from sound Catholic doctrine.

As for prophecy telling you the date of Christ's return, I am reminded of the parable of the wise and foolish handmaidens waiting for the bridegroom. Stay awake and be ready, for you do not know the hour that the Lord is coming.

Blessings!
Nov 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Rae-242317 said: Hello Liberacion, To answer many of your questions, the book "The Rapture Trap: A Cat...
(Quote) Rae-242317 said:

Hello Liberacion,

To answer many of your questions, the book "The Rapture Trap: A Catholic Response to "End Times" Fever" by Paul Thigpen is a superb resource. The Left Behind series is entertaining reading, but full of theological errors that potentially could lead one astray from sound Catholic doctrine.

As for prophecy telling you the date of Christ's return, I am reminded of the parable of the wise and foolish handmaidens waiting for the bridegroom. Stay awake and be ready, for you do not know the hour that the Lord is coming.

Blessings!
--hide--

Thanks Rae. You got me first. I was also thinking of that same parable about the 10 virgins waiting for their groom. There was also a Biblical passage about Jesus warning of false prophets. What is happening now in the Middle East, and the Earthquakes, bad weather. hunger and violence everywhere would surely make one thinks that the end of time is near. I think this Bible verse would be one of the readings during the start of Advent. There was also one prophesy I read, but I need to find in what book did I read it so I can have a reference. It is about the Third Anti-Christ, who he is and what he will be doing. I think it was Hal Lindsey's 1970 best seller entitled "The Late Great Planet Earth" It says that the Third Anti-Christ used to be a world leader, who the entire world look up to as as great leader, then something happens that he change gear and became the Anti-Christ. It is said that he wears a turban, typical of a Muslim outfit, slim in built and of a dark skin. Also in the prophesy America will not longer be a super power and would only become an bystander and will not be able to help the world in the battle called "The Armaggedon" Some modern prophets are saying that these things are happening now. Should we be wary about this?

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: I love this Cindy. Let us begin with the first topic - Divining our future: This has to do w...

I love this Cindy. Let us begin with the first topic - Divining our future: This has to do with all kinds of prophesies regarding our future Fate. Have you heard of any and what can you say about it? The "Left behind" novels, would that be possible? Then after this we will move to the next topic. I know you and many other CM members have something to say about how the world will end and what does our Catholic teaching say about it?

--hide--

Mark, Ch. 13 is rather plain about all this:

www.usccb.org

"But of that day or hour, no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." (Mk 13:32 NABRE)

Nov 13th 2012 new

Rae,

I have to agree on this. It was absolutely entertaining. It is more than that for me though. I had stepped away from God for almost ten years. After seeing the movie, I started reading the books, I opened my bible and I went back to church. The errors amused me, led to other questions and more time with the bible. I think there is a lot of good even with the error as long as people are reading the series with the understanding that it is fiction. The teen series was a great read, too. heart

Posts 1 - 10 of 19