Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Need English word!

Nov 13th 2012 new

Ok for a class :)
In airports you have gates, in train stations tracks. And in a bus station?? "gates" too?? Am I correct?

Nov 13th 2012 new

Yes and no. At most bus stations the area where you board the bus is known as the berth.

theheart

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Yes and no. At most bus stations the area where you board the bus is known as the berth.
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Yes and no. At most bus stations the area where you board the bus is known as the berth.

--hide--
And Most Ships its either; Dock or Berth's (cruise ships & freight ships etc)biggrin

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Alma Rosa-704356 said: Ok for a class :)In airports you have gates, in train stations tracks. And in a bus stati...
(Quote) Alma Rosa-704356 said:

In airports you have gates, in train stations tracks. And in a bus station?? "gates" too?? Am I correct?

--hide--
Why? You traveling durin the Holidays or something? Just wondering? wink

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Alma Rosa-704356 said: Ok for a class :)In airports you have gates, in train stations tracks. And in a bus st...
(Quote) Alma Rosa-704356 said:

--hide--

Oh, and train stations have platforms. The tacks are what the train rides on.

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: (Quote) Alma Rosa-704356 said: Ok for a class :)In airports you have ...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Quote:
Alma Rosa-704356 said:

Oh, and train stations have platforms. The tacks are what the train rides on.

--hide--

While that's true, all of the train stations I have traveled from (admittedly a small sample) announce bording at track xx.

In my likewise limited experience with busses, the boarding locations were called gates, which is the term still used at the Greyhound station in Washington, D.C.

Outside the United States the terminology may be quite different.

Nov 13th 2012 new

Didn't you read?
For A CLASS. An English class
Men ... ! never pay full atention

Nov 13th 2012 new

Jerry and I were raised during the same era, and I have haunting memories of the Grayhound Bus Stations with their infamous "The Grayhound Bus for San Francisco is now departing at "GATE mjsfu for Hlbvrd, Smahcvt, Cmewbac, and Nkxadsff".. because I think they got one of the local drunks to do the announcing! laughing laughing Matter of fact, I think Bill Cosby or Red Skelton used to have a parody on this...

I think I've also heard "quaiy" or "Quey". Platform is what's used for the BART train area in San Francisco, and who hasn't heard of "Track" used for trains, as in the song, Chattanooga Choo-Choo! note

Nov 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: Jerry and I were raised during the same era, and I have haunting memories of the Grayhound Bus ...
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said:

Jerry and I were raised during the same era, and I have haunting memories of the Grayhound Bus Stations with their infamous "The Grayhound Bus for San Francisco is now departing at "GATE mjsfu for Hlbvrd, Smahcvt, Cmewbac, and Nkxadsff".. because I think they got one of the local drunks to do the announcing! Matter of fact, I think Bill Cosby or Red Skelton used to have a parody on this...

I think I've also heard "quaiy" or "Quey". Platform is what's used for the BART train area in San Francisco, and who hasn't heard of "Track" used for trains, as in the song, Chattanooga Choo-Choo!

--hide--

laughing laughing laughing

You had to be drunk to hang around some of those stations in the middle of the night! The DC bus depot at 3 AM is not a pretty sight! It looked like a shoot for Starsky and Hutch. Until I noticed there were no cameras. eyepopping eyebrow

Posts 1 - 9 of 9