Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

11/12/2012 new

Jerry's link to the snopes report disclaims all of this thankfully! Thanks Jerry! heart

11/12/2012 new

I hope this doesn't turn into a demonization of unions in general. People should remember Rerum Novarum.

11/12/2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Jerry's link to the snopes report disclaims all of this thankfully! Thanks Jerry!
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Jerry's link to the snopes report disclaims all of this thankfully! Thanks Jerry!

--hide--

You're welcome!

11/12/2012 new

I think people are not contributing as much to these victims because now they are expecting the govt. to do it....unfortunately it isn't happening...the govt. isn't doing it and they aren't getting the help they need. Too much of our tax dollars go to the politicians and top heavy administrators of these programs...I just feel sorry for these people. I donated at church last weekend....I'm thinking our church as well as other ministries will keep doing what they can to help, but I don't think they will get as many contributions as they would have prior to more govt.

11/13/2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Jerry's link to the snopes report disclaims all of this thankfully! Thanks Jerry!
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Jerry's link to the snopes report disclaims all of this thankfully! Thanks Jerry!

--hide--

Unfortunately, snopes has lost its reliability. In this particular incidence, I have family members in Alabama who know that this personally happened. Information is easy to find. You can Google "Alabama Power turned away from helping Sandy Victims." Some of this may have been straightened out by now, I hope.

- Elizabeth
11/13/2012 new

It sounds like there was a great deal of confusion regarding this incident.

www.cbsnews.com

11/13/2012 new
Yep, just as I suspected, Faux News with it's "fair and balanced" reporting.

God bless organized labor! Labor omnia vincit
11/13/2012 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: Unfortunately, snopes has lost its reliability. In this particular incidence, I have fami...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

Unfortunately, snopes has lost its reliability. In this particular incidence, I have family members in Alabama who know that this personally happened. Information is easy to find. You can Google "Alabama Power turned away from helping Sandy Victims." Some of this may have been straightened out by now, I hope.

- Elizabeth

--hide--

Sure, you can find "information" out there. That doesn't mean it's accurate. Since the Snopes report contains statements by the IBEW (electrical workes' union), the Alabama power companies, the a New Jersey power company and it addresses the specific incidents that have caused much of the confusion, it seems most reasonable to take it at face value unless another source specifically challenges its sources of authority.

11/13/2012 new

(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: Yep, just as I suspected, Faux News with it's "fair and balanced" reporting. God...
(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: Yep, just as I suspected, Faux News with it's "fair and balanced" reporting.

God bless organized labor! Labor omnia vincit
--hide--

Gustavo, one of the problems is that organized labor no longer represents many people. The only "industry" where unions are growing is Government. But even with those large numbers, labor unions only represent about 11% of workers. And there is a reason for that.

No, not Union busting, but workers realizing that in most cases, Unions no longer really represent them. Instead they represent the Union Leaders who as a group are only interested in themselves and power.

If Unions would clean up their act, maybe the average worker would choose to join. But the way things are now, Unions have lost the heart and loyalty of the working man.

11/13/2012 new
(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Gustavo, one of the problems is that organized labor no longer represents many people. The only ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Gustavo, one of the problems is that organized labor no longer represents many people. The only "industry" where unions are growing is Government. But even with those large numbers, labor unions only represent about 11% of workers. And there is a reason for that.

No, not Union busting, but workers realizing that in most cases, Unions no longer really represent them. Instead they represent the Union Leaders who as a group are only interested in themselves and power.

If Unions would clean up their act, maybe the average worker would choose to join. But the way things are now, Unions have lost the heart and loyalty of the working man.

--hide--

I will always have a place in my heart for organized labor. When unions are gone so is the middle class. My grandfather was a Longshoreman, my aunt belongs to the UFCW and I was in the Carpenters Union. I proudly display a Union sticker on my union made pickup.

"A strong organized labor movement helps every working American"-- former Vice President and Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore
Posts 11 - 20 of 67