Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

11/13/2012 new

(Quote) Cathy-620979 said: Sounds good to me. But I'm willing to bet in his heart of hearts Mitch McConnell cares...
(Quote) Cathy-620979 said:

Sounds good to me.

But I'm willing to bet in his heart of hearts Mitch McConnell cares one million times more about keeping taxes low for rich people than he does about the HHS Mandate.

BTW, today's income tax rates (which have not gone up since Obama took office) are substantially lower than they were in the 50s and 60s - when the US economy was the envy of the world

www.businessinsider.com

It's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but this is strong proof that higher taxes won't kill us. Given the structural budget deficit, we must raise taxes.

So good deal as far as I'm concerned.

--hide--
REad your article and see where you are coming from....still don't buy into it because it defies logic...less money for businesses means less money to hire...I know it would for me if I had a business... but either way doesn't matter as people don't have a right to steal from other people...everyone should be taxed a flat rate of ten percent.

11/13/2012 new

I have little faith that the Supreme Court will stand up for Religious Freedom; especiallly if Obama appts. another liberal.

If this anyway to prevent the HHS Mandate from going to effect, now maybe the best chance..

Tax Rates can always be lowered again; Undoing a total screwup like the HHS Mandate will take years;

11/13/2012 new

PS I do not like the idea of raising taxes!

11/13/2012 new

(Quote) Ron-26907 said: I have little faith that the Supreme Court will stand up for Religious Freedom; especiallly if Obama...
(Quote) Ron-26907 said:

I have little faith that the Supreme Court will stand up for Religious Freedom; especiallly if Obama appts. another liberal.

If this anyway to prevent the HHS Mandate from going to effect, now maybe the best chance..

Tax Rates can always be lowered again; Undoing a total screwup like the HHS Mandate will take years;

--hide--
WEll, you start the petition and I will sign it! I think we should let them raise taxes and watch it fail! BECAUSE they will just keep raising spending!

11/13/2012 new

Here is proof that the article is bogus and raising taxes DOESN'T work because they will just keep raising spending...all the proof we need....EUROPE!

11/13/2012 new

I just signed this petiton at standupforreligiousfreedom.com

11/13/2012 new

(Quote) Ron-26907 said: I just signed this petiton at standupforreligiousfreedom.com
(Quote) Ron-26907 said:

I just signed this petiton at standupforreligiousfreedom.com

--hide--

I'm familiar with this one, but it isn't the same as what you are proposing...let them have their tax cut in return for religous freedom....we need a petition for that started.

11/14/2012 new
Im with you Ron! Totally agree! Thumbs up to you brother, and God Bless :-)!!!
11/14/2012 new

(Quote) Joe-787295 said: (Quote) Cathy-620979 said: Sounds good to me. But I'm willing to ...
(Quote) Joe-787295 said:

Quote:
Cathy-620979 said:

Sounds good to me.

But I'm willing to bet in his heart of hearts Mitch McConnell cares one million times more about keeping taxes low for rich people than he does about the HHS Mandate.

BTW, today's income tax rates (which have not gone up since Obama took office) are substantially lower than they were in the 50s and 60s - when the US economy was the envy of the world

www.businessinsider.com

It's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but this is strong proof that higher taxes won't kill us. Given the structural budget deficit, we must raise taxes.

So good deal as far as I'm concerned.

Cathy - what is too low? Name the rate where even you think it is too high. Is it 30%, 40%, 50%, how about take it all. How about make it 100% over a certain amount. Then you run for office and tell us all what that amount should be. Then you take all the money and hand it to others as you see fit.

God asks for 10% - why do governments deserve more?

--hide--

I heard an interesting round table discussion regarding this topic by Conservatives on CSPAN at a think tank. The economists have actually run the numbers, and the tax rate at which higher taxes actually begins to reverse revenues is about 40%. So, in the Reagan era when tax rates were lowered from 60% to in the 30s% it increased revenue. But there is not much evidence that further reductions would increase revenue and a slight increase would probably not decrease revue until you hit about 40%.

The other part of this equation though is the cumulative tax rate. Above just refers to the federal Income tax rate, but the actual taxes paid by the half of the Country that actually works are much higher. So 36% going to 39+% for FIT, then add 15% for Soc Sec (7+ you pay plus 7+% your employer pays but that is taken out of your pay in reality because it is a benefit paid by your company), then State Income Tax (9% and going up in Calif), then Obamacare taxes (19 types of of them but worst is a 3.8% tax hike), then sales tax on everything you buy, property tax on the high value items you own, and the actual tax rate can be way over 50%. Now add the required health care benefits which are actually a tax because you or your employer now have no choice. We are way beyond a tithe!

Of course none of this speaks to the Population Control/Birth Control Mandate that Obama-Sibelius are trying to force down our throats. That part is clearly unconstitutional. But, as the Supreme Court has ruled, any kind of taxation is now legal. Ugh.

While it is true that we cannot balance the budget without increased taxation, the Left has not made any effort to curb spending, so what Conservatives fear, rightly so, is any increase in taxes just adds fuel to the flames by enabling more reckless spending. Taxes are to a government like alcohol is to an alcoholic or cocaine to a drug addict. Taxes actually make the problem worse because the government always spends all available plus borrows to spend more, whatever you pay. This is the crux of the matter. We need a change in mindset. it starts with smaller government that actually balances its budget. Join you local Tea Party! Let's keep both Democrats and Conservatives shamed into REDUCING SPENDING.

Posts 11 - 20 of 34