Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

11/14/2012 new

(Quote) Mike-646924 said: Go on the 2nd Date Celia; Take one date/ day at a time; (you can gather info later) you ha...
(Quote) Mike-646924 said:

Go on the 2nd Date Celia; Take one date/ day at a time; (you can gather info later) you have nothing to loose; Good luck with your new relationship! Mike "peace"!!

--hide--

Nothing except her soul. It happens all too frequently to people who thought it would never happen to them...

11/14/2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Because, David, the Church is the authority on these matters. She has restrictions for good reas...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Because, David, the Church is the authority on these matters. She has restrictions for good reason: to guide us in situations which may pose a risk to our eternal salvation. While the Church does permit marriages of mixed faiths/disparity of cult, she clearly does so with reservations, as expressed in the Catechism and evidenced by the requirement for approval by an ecclesiastical authority.

Why focus on the why nots? In this case, because that was how the original poster's (OP) question was framed. In other cases it may be to present a more balanced picture because either the OP or the respondents have covered one side. In yet others it may be because one side represents a moral or spiritual error.

We as individuals, and society as a whole, would be in far better shape if we were in the habit of asking Why should I do this? How does it bring me closer to God? And accepting the Church's guidance (meaning the Magisterium, not individual clergy) rather than asking "Why not?" and then doing our best to reject every argument presented in response.

--hide--

AMEN, Jerry!!! More people need that attitude. My arms are tooooo short to box with God.
11/14/2012 new

Aren't you obligated to convert him?!! mischievous

11/15/2012 new

You are in love, do the best you can to make each other happy. We all have the same GOD.

11/15/2012 new

(Quote) Nick-314192 said: You are in love, do the best you can to make each other happy. We all have the same GOD.
(Quote) Nick-314192 said:

You are in love, do the best you can to make each other happy. We all have the same GOD.

--hide--

Well said Nick!!

11/16/2012 new

(Quote) Celia-821539 said: That's me with my ignorant face on. Being a recent convert, could someone please tell me what...
(Quote) Celia-821539 said:

That's me with my ignorant face on. Being a recent convert, could someone please tell me what happens if you meet, fall in love with, and decide to marry someone of a different denomination? Say, oh, for example, Baptist.

A. Do I get kicked out of the church? Just kidding. But, is it frowned upon?

B. What you decided you wanted to marry this person? Is there some kind of procedure where you can marry outside the Faith, but still take vows in your church? Or are you forever giving up the idea of getting married in the Catholic Church?

It really makes a difference to me, so I suppose I need to know if it is worth meeting the person if it goes in any way against those confirmation vows.

--hide--

Hi Celia, I agree with Jerry. If you are dating for possible future with this guy, and he requires an annulment for you two to have a sacramental marriage, it can be lengthy process. I stayed with my former BF for over 4 years, his annulment was not granted, it was devastating for me, but I learned that although we loved eachother, he wasn't what I needed. I prayed throughout the whole process for God's will, because God knew my heart. So I have no doubt that God protected me, (I've since learned some other things that would have caused problems if we had married) When you are "in love" you can't see some of the things that could cause problems later.

Be a good witness to your Catholic faith, understand scripture and why Holy Mother Church teaches what she does, and it is not to hurt us, but to keep us holy, which is her primary mission. The cop out that "God understands" doesn't fly . . . He has His Holy Word to tell us and His Church to guide us and His Spirit to enlighten us. No where in these institutions does it say, "sure go ahead if you love eachother, God understands."

I see a lot of people who marry non-Catholics either leave the Church or suffer in misery because their spouse didn't understand, didn't care about or hated the Catholic Church. And yes, there are people who married non-Catholics who were wonderful people, but just think how much more wonderful if they could have deeply share their faiths and beliefs? And for me that is the key, people of other faiths do not understand what the Catholic Church really believes and teaches, if they did, they would become Catholic. biggrin I want someone I can really share my faith with, discuss scripture from a Catholic perspective and experience the sacraments with me. But those are my needs and may not be yours.

And no, you won't get kicked out of the Church and we here will all still love you no matter what your decision. hug

Posts 21 - 26 of 26