Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

11/13/2012 new

[quote]Dawn-58330 said:

Annemarie, thank you for the suggestion. You know, I've thought of having a canned food drive or having the group volunteer during one of our events. We've talked about it a bit. The conclusion has been that we all tend to be people already active in our parishes and communities doing those things. The events tend to be food for our soul by way of being a community of faith so that we can go back to our communities to do the hard work we do in our ministries. We need our social time. But I am thinking of maybe doing a service project as an event in the spring or summer. [/quote}
Hi Dawn wave

I wish I could come back to Indy for your Advent gathering, too...I'm so very glad that I was able to make it to the Phoenix CM event this weekend, and we all discussed getting together again and doing a "service project" of some kind. Soooo...with that in mind, I'd be up for joining together with you to help get something like that together in the future!

Who else would like to join us?? biggrin

11/13/2012 new
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: (Quote) Dawn-58330 said: Annemarie, thank you for the suggestion. You know, I've ...
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said:

[quote]Dawn-58330 said:

Annemarie, thank you for the suggestion. You know, I've thought of having a canned food drive or having the group volunteer during one of our events. We've talked about it a bit. The conclusion has been that we all tend to be people already active in our parishes and communities doing those things. The events tend to be food for our soul by way of being a community of faith so that we can go back to our communities to do the hard work we do in our ministries. We need our social time. But I am thinking of maybe doing a service project as an event in the spring or summer. [/quote}
Hi Dawn

I wish I could come back to Indy for your Advent gathering, too...I'm so very glad that I was able to make it to the Phoenix CM event this weekend, and we all discussed getting together again and doing a "service project" of some kind. Soooo...with that in mind, I'd be up for joining together with you to help get something like that together in the future!

Who else would like to join us??

--hide--

Depending on the timing count me in.... I really am not sure how many from our group helped but I did drop in a donation to the group collecting for food boxes at the Phoenix church Sunday... I figured it was the least I could do....,
11/13/2012 new

halfway through the darn shopping. the sooner all the headaches are behind me, the sooner i may actually be able to enjoy the holiday. it could be si beautiful. why is it such a terrible impoosition, a financial, physical, and emotional strain?

11/14/2012 new
Hang in there buddy. Better days are ahead I believe. I hope you get that belt, but even if you don't I hope you feel Our Lady and her Son with you during your matches and on Christmas.
11/15/2012 new

Christmas rocks! I got to come home from the hospital with a newborn on Christmas some moons ago (best drug-needing memory)! So we have at least three familiy birthdays to celebrate during this time. For my children and I this season rocks. We have a special Novena in which we read quite extensively about the Holy Family's faith and physical journey to delivery. It is beautiful to recall the calm and respect the Holy Parents had for each other. Not wanting to worry Mother Mary that he could not find a place to have the baby. Not wanting to worry St. Joseph that she was ready to deliver. Whoever wrote the words, beautiful. Wish I could have been part of that kind of couple!Anyway, at the end of each day's readings there are songs to sing (not the classical carols) and they only sit through the rest because they know this part is coming. They parade around with their instruments and make enough noise to raise Lazarus. They are so disappointed when the Novena ends; they ask for it all year round!

So the children and I go all out. We've collected enough decorations to make it (as my brother would say) a German castle! Almost no wall downstairs is left undecorated. They get tired of "helping" in about two hours and I still have another day to go lol! We bake and put together packages of those "sweet goodies" for our families. Everything stops and this month (December) is a huge fun event. Oreos have a red filling inside at this time and we make trees, trains, angels, but mostly just get sick. The best part is making the Gingerbread house. Have you ever tried this? The darn things never stay together and they break so easily, but who cares, they are a blast to make. (the candy kits are usually cheap and nasty tasting though)

As far as presents, I try to buy only 1 special thing per child so they learn it is about Jesus, not them.

On a personal note, it would be nice to have someone special, but that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon so I sign up online to attend parties for different groups I'm a member of. I mean, a girl still likes to dress up, right? Even if it is just for herself!

I'm getting excited just thinking about all of this fun.

11/15/2012 new

my sister usually has a Christmas Eve party with special foods, and we usually exchange gifts at this time. mostly the gifts are very small,and just fun stuff. the men always seem to get thescratch-off lottery cards,and watching them is like watching a young kid opening presents. Hopefully, Midnight Mass is in the picture. it is mostly the brothers and sisters that attend the Christmas dinner at Mom's. this makes it even more special, as we have mom all to ourselves! she is 91.

11/17/2012 new

It looks like this year I will be wallowing in misery sad

11/17/2012 new

(Quote) Daniel-634934 said: It looks like this year I will be wallowing in misery
(Quote) Daniel-634934 said:

It looks like this year I will be wallowing in misery

--hide--

Save me a seat on that train Daniel. Misery loves company!

11/17/2012 new

You have too much going for you. I remember holidays when I did that. I am finally in a place where I am good being alone as I am no longer lonely. There are too many people who truly love me to be there ever again. My daughter is 26. She has spent all but one Thanksgiving since she was 15 with friends of ours (she was too close to delivering to make the trip). I no longer agonize over that. Last year, I made plans with other friends who had no family in the area. It was nice not to be a late add on to someone's day out of pity.

God pushed me to make a change this year, to open my home to others. I passed the word to several people in my area and in my church. As of Monday (when I gave away my big table that seats six), I was planning to be here alone. Fast forward, I know have eight which includes my daughter and grandson with three more tentative! It's going to be a full house and I'm more excited than I have been in years.

Reach out Daniel, to someone else who is alone. Use that outstretched hand to hug someone, serve at a soup kitchen, open them to God. I promise that God will fill that open hand with blessings beyond measure! heart

11/17/2012 new
(Quote) Donna-871766 said: (Quote) Daniel-634934 said: It looks like this year I will be wallowing in misery
(Quote) Donna-871766 said:

Quote:
Daniel-634934 said:

It looks like this year I will be wallowing in misery

Save me a seat on that train Daniel. Misery loves company!

--hide--
Just tell me what you like to drink...lol
Posts 51 - 60 of 66