Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women when it comes to my rite, which is 100 percent Catholic. We have the same Pope and the same faith. It's just expressed slightly differently.

How should I approach that with Roman Catholic women I date?
11/15/2012 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women when it com...
(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women when it comes to my rite, which is 100 percent Catholic. We have the same Pope and the same faith. It's just expressed slightly differently.

--hide--

I am officially Roman Catholic, but I have attended Melkite Divine Liturgies for more than threee years. I know what you are up against. I have some really devoted Roman Catholic friends who feel like I am abandoing Catholicism. I feel just the opposite. I feel like I am expanding my Catholicism. Both Rites are beautiful in their own way. It is a matter of education and of living the Faith in your own life that will ring them to understand the Eastern world of Catholicism. Persevere. It is worth it.

Kathleen
11/15/2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women w...
(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women when it comes to my rite, which is 100 percent Catholic. We have the same Pope and the same faith. It's just expressed slightly differently.

--hide--

Explain it to them... Add that your liturgy is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

11/15/2012 new
I explain it and they still think I'm Greek or Russian Orthodox and that I'm not a Catholic.
11/15/2012 new

I think you need an exegesis on your profile or in an email explaining it all, that it IS Catholic, that it is in communion with Rome, that you are very familiar with the latin rite, that you are not going to try and "convert" them that they have to attend your rite, , that you will compromise about what rite you attend and share both traditions, etc.

I think people are just not aware of the richness of the Catholic faith, and all they know if the post Vatican II American kumbaya Catholic liturgy, and don't even know that other rites exist. Use the instance of your profile or correspondence to educate them.

11/15/2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women w...

--hide--
This isn't meant for you to read to your lady friends (unless you both have a lot of time), and it's matter-of-fact material, perhaps you can glean some relevant information from the following site:

www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0246.html

It covers a lot of history and areas where you don't need to go for now. It's something that is often confusing and difficult for people to understand.

Hope this helps.

11/15/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: This isn't meant for you to read to your lady friends (unless you both have a lot of time), and...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

This isn't meant for you to read to your lady friends (unless you both have a lot of time), and it's matter-of-fact material, perhaps you can glean some relevant information from the following site:

www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0246.html

It covers a lot of history and areas where you don't need to go for now. It's something that is often confusing and difficult for people to understand.

Hope this helps.

--hide--
Oops - you can look it up from the info above, but I'll try again to get the direct link.

www.catholiceducation.org

11/16/2012 new
John, my Melkite brother! Unfortunately most Americans think only Roman rite Catholics are the only Catholics.

It is my goal to attend a Mass in all 22 rites of the Church. I've been to Melkite, Byzantine Ruthenian, Assyrian Chaldean, Ukrainian and of course Roman rite Masses.

The most beautiful one was at St. George Greek Melkite Catholic Church in Sacramento. Part of the Eparchy of Newton, MA. Mass was in English, Arabic and Greek.
11/16/2012 new

--hide--

Can I just say, I can't help but think about the Pet Shop Boys song, "West End Girls" when I see the topic of this thread. "The East End boys and West End girls". *l* Sorry, most of my formational years were during the '80s. *l* Anyway.

John, my thought is to give them a quick education in Church history. I've had to explain the Eastern rites to classes of CCD classes I've taught and in fact, to adult Catholics (Roman rite). Pat is right that there are a lot and I mean a lot of Roman Catholics who are just plain ignorant. I would agree with the other posts in this thread that the Eastern rites have beautiful liturgies. I've had the honor of attending a Mass in a Ukrainian Catholic and Maronite church. They're slightly different, but so beautiful. I hope to make it to other eastern rite Masses. In all honesty, once upon a time I thought about leaving the Roman rite to join the Maronite rite. Of course, it doesn't help that I have a weakness for Lebanese women. *l*

11/16/2012 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I think you need an exegesis on your profile or in an email explaining it all, that it IS Catholic, t...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I think you need an exegesis on your profile or in an email explaining it all, that it IS Catholic, that it is in communion with Rome, that you are very familiar with the latin rite, that you are not going to try and "convert" them that they have to attend your rite, , that you will compromise about what rite you attend and share both traditions, etc.

I think people are just not aware of the richness of the Catholic faith, and all they know if the post Vatican II American kumbaya Catholic liturgy, and don't even know that other rites exist. Use the instance of your profile or correspondence to educate them.

--hide--

Digging on the expression, "all they know if the post Vatican II American kumbaya Catholic liturgy". Just two words for that.......yeah, baby!!!

Posts 1 - 10 of 58