Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Free to marry?

Nov 16th 2012 new

What does it mean when someone answers that question with UNSURE? And why would someone who answers that question with NO be on this site? I do not understand.

Nov 16th 2012 new

Many divorcees on this site were married outside the Church and aren't fully knowledged on the subject. However, I'm also led to believe that some answer "unsure", not because they cannot be married in the Church at the present, but because they aren't certain they want to be married.

Just my two cents

theheart

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Sharon-816628 said: What does it mean when someone answers that question with UNSURE? And why would someone who answ...
(Quote) Sharon-816628 said:

What does it mean when someone answers that question with UNSURE? And why would someone who answers that question with NO be on this site? I do not understand.

--hide--

Welcome to the Forum Sharon. wave

Not all of us were saintly early on. Thank you Jesus for Your forgiveness and love. theheart I answered Unsure when I signed up because I am, however, I am seeking those answers and hope to change that to yes. My first marriage was in the church and I was granted an annulment withing a year of being divorced. My second marriage ( 6 years later) was not in the church, however he was catholic. Therefore I answered Unsure. Hope that helps a little.

Nov 16th 2012 new

I am thinking that you may be right on that one in some cases. Thank you Victor!

Nov 16th 2012 new

Thanks, Donna! That does help me to understand the Unsure part.

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Sharon-816628 said: What does it mean when someone answers that question with UNSURE? And why would someone who answ...

--hide--
Victor summed it up pretty well -- it's most likely a lack of knowledge. And, yeah, there are some people who aren't sure they want to get married (or married again).

To marry freely and sacramentally in the Catholic Church, any and all prior marriages must at least be reviewed (let's say in the case of a widowed person proving his/her spouse has passed away), and anything else must be investigated more thoroughly. How thoroughly depends uon the circumstances. It could be that a person cannot marry without undergoing an annulment process. During that time, a person is still in limbo because that person is still considered to be married in the eyes of the Church until proven and declared otherwise. A person requesting an annulment does not receive a guaranty of getting one.

Bottom line: "It ain't over 'til it's over."

This is a brief overview of the situation regarding prior marriages.

There could also be some impediments that need to be resolved by the Church. These don't involve prior marriages; rather, they are other issues.

Nov 16th 2012 new

Thank you, Ray. I understand now. I could understand some cases where there had been previous marriages. I did not think of the fact that they may be on the dating site unsure if they wanted to get married. Since my mind has always been that marriage would be the ultimate end/beginning with someone who I fell in love with. I was in a relationship with someone for 34 years who I thought would eventually want what I did. Finally woke up & got enough confidence in myself to walk away from that. I don't want to get involved with someone again who is not totally open to the possiblities of marriage.

Nov 18th 2012 new
Im in 'total' agreement Sharon! God Speed to you!!! :-)
Nov 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-871766 said: Welcome to the Forum Sharon. Not all of us were saintly early on. Thank you Jesus...
(Quote) Donna-871766 said:

Welcome to the Forum Sharon.

Not all of us were saintly early on. Thank you Jesus for Your forgiveness and love. I answered Unsure when I signed up because I am, however, I am seeking those answers and hope to change that to yes. My first marriage was in the church and I was granted an annulment withing a year of being divorced. My second marriage ( 6 years later) was not in the church, however he was catholic. Therefore I answered Unsure. Hope that helps a little.

--hide--

In your case Donna, you'd need an annulment, lack of form, I believe because you didn't have a sacramental marriage (in the church), so in essence, unless you get that annulment you are not free to marry (in the church, which is what that question is about) whether one is free to marry in the church, a sacramental marriage.

Nov 18th 2012 new

--hide--

I'd like to think that if a person who has previously been married and has no intentions of ever re-marrying an is a member on here, for them to be specific about it and honest, seeking friendship only, or companionship etc....stating less than that can be misleading, in my honest opinion.

Posts 1 - 10 of 19