Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women w...
(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women when it comes to my rite, which is 100 percent Catholic. We have the same Pope and the same faith. It's just expressed slightly differently.

How should I approach that with Roman Catholic women I date?
--hide--

Short and sweet, just like you did here, John ... mention that you are still Catholic, 100%, you have the same pope, but your liturgy is expressed a little differently ... I'm sure an open-minded Catholic lady will understand perfectly.

All the best!

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I explain it and they still think I'm Greek or Russian Orthodox and that I'm not a Catholic.
(Quote) John-220051 said: I explain it and they still think I'm Greek or Russian Orthodox and that I'm not a Catholic.
--hide--

If you explain that your bishop is fully in communion with Rome then any real Catholic will get the point right away. She may still have questions because some things Eastern are very different looking, but if she still questions the authenticity of your Catholicism then maybe there is an official Vatican listing of Eastern rites that you could point her to. These days there are some shady groups claiming to be Catholic so if something looks very different then I think an official web site should calm her angst if she has any. There are some people (of both sexes) who are "more Catholic than the Pope" types -- if an official Vatican listing of Eastern rites is not sufficient then move on.

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women w...
(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women when it comes to my rite, which is 100 percent Catholic. We have the same Pope and the same faith. It's just expressed slightly differently.

How should I approach that with Roman Catholic women I date?
--hide--

I would love to be able to attend a good, reverent Byzantine Catholic liturgy. I attend an excellent Novus Ordo parish but I prefer the Eastern liturgy. But none in KY. :(

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Apologies for wandering off topic Ray and John, and meant no offense.
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Apologies for wandering off topic Ray and John, and meant no offense.

--hide--
Peter -- no apologies to me are necessary. My intention (also straying off course) was to draw your attention to what the speaking tongues is about. This is a gift of the Holy Spirit -- not babbling. It may sound like it, but there's a lot more to it. I encourage you to read the reference I posted. We certainly don't want to offend the Spirit.....and I'm sure that wasn't what you intended.

Some people are uncomfortable with liturgical practices that are perfectly acceptable, just not what they're accustomed to. Try to be open to these. If it's too difficult, stick with the regular Mass.

Nov 16th 2012 new
(Quote) John-324285 said: That is an awesome mass! The young adult group Veritas had an event there a few months ago and we got i...
(Quote) John-324285 said:

That is an awesome mass! The young adult group Veritas had an event there a few months ago and we got introduced to it and had a Q&A with the priest afterward.

--hide--

Fr. McAnerney? The church is right near Cal Expo
Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Madonna-819886 said: While you are educating them on the different rites of the Catholic church that are al...
(Quote) Madonna-819886 said:

While you are educating them on the different rites of the Catholic church that are allowed under the authority of the Magisterium, you might want to look into educating yourself on the Spirit filled Catholic Charismatic Mass that sings the praises of God. They sing TO Jesus and not just about Jesus. kumbaya Lord, oh kumbaya!! (Someone's praying Lord, O be with us!)..........yeah, baby!!

--hide--

Madonna, I apologize for my comment about kumbaya. It lacked charity and I got over zealous in a wrong way. The comment was not directed at Catholic Charismatic Masses or the Charismatic movement in the Catholic Church. I was making fun of the theology I was taught during the late '70's and throughout the '80's while I was receiving a Catholic eduation at my parish. I feel it lacked substance and made an uncharitable comment about it. I've been to a lot of Catholic Charismatic Masses and am very familiar with the gifts of the Holy Spirit and witnessing them in a powerful way during Mass and praise and worship sessions.

I do disagree with your statement, "They sing TO Jesus and not just about Jesus." I feel it implies that other Masses do not sing TO Jesus and somehow only Charismatic Masses do. The Mass is all about the Eucharist which is the source and summit of the Mass and thus all (Charismatic and others) Masses are about singing TO Jesus and not just about Jesus.

Nov 17th 2012 new
(Quote) Can I just say, I can't help but think about the Pet Shop Boys song, "West End Girls" when I see the topic of this thread. &qu...
(Quote) Can I just say, I can't help but think about the Pet Shop Boys song, "West End Girls" when I see the topic of this thread. "The East End boys and West End girls". *l* Sorry, most of my formational years were during the '80s. *l* Anyway.
--hide--
Dan I had to laugh. I thought I'd be the only one who had that thought about that song. Sorry to interrupt the thread folks. This is a good subject and I'm learning a lot, but that was too funny to let pass. Please continue. Don't mind me.
Nov 17th 2012 new
That hasn't been my experience. I fell in love with my best friend, but she decided we were incompatible because of the ritual differences.
Nov 17th 2012 new
That hasn't been my experience. I fell in love with my best friend, but she decided we were incompatible because of the ritual differences.
Nov 17th 2012 new

(Quote) Eric-114571 said: I would love to be able to attend a good, reverent Byzantine Catholic liturgy. I attend an...
(Quote) Eric-114571 said:

I would love to be able to attend a good, reverent Byzantine Catholic liturgy. I attend an excellent Novus Ordo parish but I prefer the Eastern liturgy. But none in KY. :(

--hide--

When I first came here, to Columbus, Ohio, I was told to attend St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church ... also told that it would satisfy my Sunday obligation for Mass and Communion attendance. It is very lovely, reverent, respectful of The Holy Eucharist, the likes of which I don't ever recall hearing/seeing at a Roman Catholic Latin Mass. But I've returned to my roots to another Roman Rite Catholic Church which has, bit by bit, returned to the Latin. We receive The Holy Eucharist while kneeling at the altar rail, there are no altar girls, and no lay ministers. We have four priests and a cadre of some 90 altar boys.

So, Eric, if you ever find yourself traveling to Columbus, Ohio, look up St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church ... you will be very blessed.

smile theheart

Posts 31 - 40 of 58