Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: The Volt is newer technology. New technology doesn't come cheap. Dealerships were closed i...
(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: The Volt is newer technology. New technology doesn't come cheap.

Dealerships were closed if they were exclusively GM. If they were co-branded they could still sell the other nameplate. ie a Chevrolet and Subaru dealership could still sell Subarus.

Pres. Obama is right, "Osama is dead, GM is alive"

And yes, CEOs are still greedy. Making cars in Mexico hasn't lowered the price to consumers but it has lined plenty of corporate pockets.
--hide--

So why are we bailing out these "greedy" CEO's?These companies need to re-learn how to compete or go the way of the Studebaker and Packard. Will you bail me out if I make bad business decisions? The Volt, while newer technology, is still over engeneered and over priced. Besides, some of our stimulus money went to a company to build batteries for it overseas. So much for American built.

As far as obama's quote, Osama is dead because of intelegence that Obama fought tooth and nail against getting nad Gm's woes were only kicked down the road thanks to our tax money.

Nov 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: I, for one, NEVER shop at Wal-Mart. Wouldn't set foot in there even if they gave away thei...
(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said:

I, for one, NEVER shop at Wal-Mart. Wouldn't set foot in there even if they gave away their sweatshop-made goods.
--hide--

That is your choice. But don't bother going anywhere else. They all, Sears, Macy's anyone you want to name, buy from the same sources.

Nov 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: Someone earning $30/hr plus benefits didn't drive GM to financial ruin. CEOs making millio...

Someone earning $30/hr plus benefits didn't drive GM to financial ruin. CEOs making millions with an expense account, poor engineering, awful design and a populace which would rather purchase imports bankrupted GM.
--hide--

Why did the populace prefer imported cars?

Very simple, they produced better cars with more value. And, Tee Hee, most of them are built right here in the good old US of A in non-unionized plants where the workers receive pay and benefits at least as good as American Company workers and they are treated better too.

The problem is not the $30/hr a worker might get. Its all the extras that at least double that rate to $60/hr for the Company turning out poorly designed, engineered and manufactured heaps. OH and that last one, manufactured, is the responsibility of those $30/hr workers.

How much were the President and Vice Presidents of the Unions paid? How about their expense accounts?

There is enough blame to go around to everyone involved.

Nov 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Why did the populace prefer imported cars? Very simple, they produced better cars ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Why did the populace prefer imported cars?

Very simple, they produced better cars with more value. And, Tee Hee, most of them are built right here in the good old US of A in non-unionized plants where the workers receive pay and benefits at least as good as American Company workers and they are treated better too.

The problem is not the $30/hr a worker might get. Its all the extras that at least double that rate to $60/hr for the Company turning out poorly designed, engineered and manufactured heaps. OH and that last one, manufactured, is the responsibility of those $30/hr workers.

How much were the President and Vice Presidents of the Unions paid? How about their expense accounts?

There is enough blame to go around to everyone involved.

--hide--

Paul verywell said. I drive an American made automobile from a foreign company. Your are so right the Pres or VP of unions are fat cats, they may have started as a unionized worker but they got educated and took the helm. There was enough blame to go around.

Nov 16th 2012 new
(Quote) Ron-481546 said: So why are we bailing out these "greedy" CEO's?These companies need to re-learn...
(Quote) Ron-481546 said:

So why are we bailing out these "greedy" CEO's?These companies need to re-learn how to compete or go the way of the Studebaker and Packard. Will you bail me out if I make bad business decisions? The Volt, while newer technology, is still over engeneered and over priced. Besides, some of our stimulus money went to a company to build batteries for it overseas. So much for American built.

As far as obama's quote, Osama is dead because of intelegence that Obama fought tooth and nail against getting nad Gm's woes were only kicked down the road thanks to our tax money.

--hide--

When GM's loan is repaid, it will be an investment in America's future industry.
Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: When GM's loan is repaid, it will be an investment in America's future industry.

When GM's loan is repaid, it will be an investment in America's future industry.
--hide--

One or two companies in an entire industry?

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: When GM's loan is repaid, it will be an investment in America's future industry.

--hide--

Gustavo, as a real life current demonstration of just why Unions are losing out among working People just look at waht is happening at Hostess.

Now there may be all kinds of reasons not having to do with the workers that their sales decreased and they could not charge enough for their products to make a profit.

So they filed for reorganization bankruptcy. The holders in bankruptcy (appointed by the Court) asked for concessions from their unions to try to keep the company alive and people employed. Maybe they even asked for too many concessions. It doesn't matter. The union leaders are so intransigent that the holders in bankruptcy have just thrown in the towel and asked to Court to liquidate the company.

So now instead of some losing their jobs and those still employed making less, EVERYONE loses their jobs. That was really protecting the working man wasn't it?

The lenders of the Company may still realize something from their busted investment (those dirty Wall streeters) because the Company's Brands (Wonder Bread, Hostess cakes, etc) may still have value and be sold. No certainty of that. And its is almost a certain guarantee that any company that buys one or more of the brands is not going to need to hire any of those Hostess workers who lost their jobs.

I don't know, maybe they thought Obama was going to step in and bail the company out with taxpayer money and hand control fo the company to the Union. Whatever, the Union failed in its job and a lot of people suffer.

Nov 16th 2012 new

I've also read the Union's propaganda on this. And it does not fly.

The simple fact is, the company is no more everyone, including management, admistration people as well as the Union members no longer have a job.

However, you cut it, it is a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Based on the Union's statement for their stupidity, the Company should have been laid to rest years ago. Of course their workers would have been out of jobs a long time.

An argument that says, "We tried to help save the company in the past and now that it has completely failed you have to keep us on the job." just does not cut it.

Nov 16th 2012 new
(Quote) Paul-866591 said: I've also read the Union's propaganda on this. And it does not fly. The simple fact is, t...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

I've also read the Union's propaganda on this. And it does not fly.

The simple fact is, the company is no more everyone, including management, admistration people as well as the Union members no longer have a job.

However, you cut it, it is a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Based on the Union's statement for their stupidity, the Company should have been laid to rest years ago. Of course their workers would have been out of jobs a long time.

An argument that says, "We tried to help save the company in the past and now that it has completely failed you have to keep us on thejob." just does not cut it.

--hide--

Were the Hostess employees supposed to grovel for their jobs? Beg to work for half their wage? Have their benefits slashed to nothing? Not feasible. They have mortgages, kids to feed and lives to live.
Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: Were the Hostess employees supposed to grovel for their jobs? Beg to work for half their wage?...

Were the Hostess employees supposed to grovel for their jobs? Beg to work for half their wage? Have their benefits slashed to nothing? Not feasible. They have mortgages, kids to feed and lives to live.
--hide--

And how are they going to feed their families and pay their mortgages now that they have no jobs along with the office people and the managers as well?

As I noted before, based on the Union's own propaganda, the Company should have been liquidated when it first went into bankruptcy in 2004. Its continued operation since has only prolonged the agony.

Sorry it just does not fly Gustavo. The Union leaders had a choice, accommodate and possibly save the company or lose the jobs. The Union leaders, who can care less, chose to lose the jobs. It does not affect their income or power.

I would also add, that I don't believe the company was savable. It is obvious it was not savable in 2004 and things are no better now.

I hope that everyone affected has learned something and get a job quickly, although that is problematically with the rank amateurs we have running things in this country. But hey, we may soon reach the old Soviet Union's solution, the Government will pretend to pay everyone and in return everyone will pretend to work.

Posts 31 - 40 of 67