Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.
I am a west coast girl that has never lived on the east coast. Talk to me. What do I need to know? I am thinking about buying a house or a condo. I have a Volvo. How will that do in the snow? Do the smallest cities still have trains/mass transit?
Aug 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-756196 said: I am a west coast girl that has never lived on the east coast. Talk to me. What do I need to know? I am ...
(Quote) Linda-756196 said: I am a west coast girl that has never lived on the east coast. Talk to me. What do I need to know? I am thinking about buying a house or a condo. I have a Volvo. How will that do in the snow? Do the smallest cities still have trains/mass transit?
--hide--

It has been quite a while since I've lived in that area, so this information may be dated. Caveat emptor!

Keep in mind you are moving to the People's Republic of Taxachussetts. (There's more than one clue to whatt to expect in that statement.)

The main problem with driving in the snow in MA is the incompetent drivers. No car, short of a Hummer, will protect you from those. Be especially careful the first 2-3 snowfalls each year.

Real estate prices are generally highest inside the 128/95 loop and decrease as you move outward. Outside the 495 loop is most affordable, but that can be quite a commute to Bedford, but perhaps not too bad if your work hours don't correspond with rush hour. Bedfuhd, Concahd, and Lincoln were fairly pricey; Billerica (and perhaps Carlisle) may be more affordable.

Remember the law of conservation of 'r's: drop them from words that have them and add them to words that don't. For example, "warsh ya cah in Havah yahd"

Worcester = Woostah (or Wustah)
Medford = Medfuhd (or Mefuh)
Haverhill = Havrill
Leominster = Leminstah
-borough = -boro

On I-95/128 you can be going North and South at the same time!

If you need to fly, consider Manchester (NH) airport over Boston.

The cars inside a rotary (traffic circle) have the right of way. Regardless of what those trying to enter think.

When driving in a rotary, close your eyes and hit the accelerator. (Just kidding. Sort of.)

Aug 25th 2012 new

I've lived all my life in MA and Concord, Lincoln, Weston, Wellesley and Newton are expensive to buy houses. I don't know about apartments. Of course Boston is expensive.

Route 9 can be difficult because if you need to turn around because you made an error driving it normally takes awhile before you can turn around.

Bedford also has an airport.

Also be prepared for crazy weather - this past year we didn't have much snow but some years we have tons (awhile back we had snow on April 1st) August is always hot (you wouldn't expect that from a northern state). We also have "Indian Summer" when in September and/or October it is warm. Also one of the best things about New England autumn when the leaves change, people come from all over to see them. In Massachusetts it happens in late fall but you can always drive further north earlier in the season. biggrin

Aug 25th 2012 new

[quote]Rosanna-586248 said:

I've lived all my life in MA and Concord, Lincoln, Weston, Wellesley and Newton are expensive to buy houses. I don't know about apartments. Of course Boston is expensive.

Route 9 can be difficult because if you need to turn around because you made an error driving it normally takes awhile before you can turn around.

Bedford also has an airport.

Also be prepared for crazy weather - this past year we didn't have much snow but some years we have tons (awhile back we had snow on April 1st) August is always hot (you wouldn't expect that from a northern state). We also have "Indian Summer" when in September and/or October it is warm. Also one of the best things about New England autumn when the leaves change, people come from all over to see them. In Massachusetts it happens in late fall but you can always drive further north earlier in the season.

I forgot to mention our public transportation is great. The subway has six lines that bring you to a whole lot towns. We also have trains. I generally don't go the buses but they are good also.

In Boston there are a lot of one ways which is a hassel and the parking is killer in town, be prepared to pay a lot of money for the parking garages.

Another thing (and I hope you will never need to use them) we have some of the best hospitals in the world (people come here from all over).

That's all I can think of right now if you have any more questions I will try to answer them.

Aug 25th 2012 new

Marge from Maine lives in Portland and she shops at Hanscomb from time to time.. You will have to post this in the Pinkies Room on FB..There are lots of great women in that area.. Maggie from Georgetown MA is pretty close too..So is Becky from Marlborough.. (cannot spell that name to save me, but it looks sort of right..)

Aug 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Marge from Maine lives in Portland and she shops at Hanscomb from time to time.. You will have to ...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Marge from Maine lives in Portland and she shops at Hanscomb from time to time.. You will have to post this in the Pinkies Room on FB..There are lots of great women in that area.. Maggie from Georgetown MA is pretty close too..So is Becky from Marlborough.. (cannot spell that name to save me, but it looks sort of right..)

--hide--

You've got it right. Although the residents usually spell the town names as -boro rather than -borough

Nov 17th 2012 new
(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Marge from Maine lives in Portland and she shops at Hanscomb from time to time.. You will have to post this in t...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

--hide--
How do I get to the pinkies room? Thanks I live in Sudbury MA
Nov 17th 2012 new

wave Hi Linda, I'm glad to hear that you finally know for sure where you'll be living and working. Best of luck in the new location! Thank you so much for your service and for your sons' service! You get a Gold Star! You get a Gold Star! You get a Gold Star! Praying

Posts 1 - 8 of 8