Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

(Vatican Radio) The problems facing married priests in the Eastern Catholic Church were at the heart of a seminar in Rome this week, sponsored by the Australian Catholic University and the Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies at St Paul University in Ottawa, Canada.

The Second Vatican Councils decree on the Eastern Catholic Churches clearly reaffirmed the value of the Oriental rites with their distinct liturgical practises and traditions. Yet a Vatican document dating back to 1929 prohibited Eastern rite bishops from ordaining married men in the West or sending them from the East to Western countries where they were said to cause confusion among the faithful. While Roman or Latin rite bishops in some countries, such as Australia, formally welcome married priests to serve their Eastern rite communities, others still see it as a source of tension and division.

To find out more, Philippa Hitchen went along to the conference and spoke to Fr Peter Galadza, a married Ukrainian Greek Catholic priest and professor of Oriental liturgy at the Sheptysky Institute in Ottawa

en.radiovaticana.va
Nov 17th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: (Vatican Radio) The problems facing married priests in the Eastern Catholic Church were at the heart of a...
(Quote) John-220051 said: (Vatican Radio) The problems facing married priests in the Eastern Catholic Church were at the heart of a seminar in Rome this week, sponsored by the Australian Catholic University and the Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies at St Paul University in Ottawa, Canada.

The Second Vatican Councils decree on the Eastern Catholic Churches clearly reaffirmed the value of the Oriental rites with their distinct liturgical practises and traditions. Yet a Vatican document dating back to 1929 prohibited Eastern rite bishops from ordaining married men in the West or sending them from the East to Western countries where they were said to cause confusion among the faithful. While Roman or Latin rite bishops in some countries, such as Australia, formally welcome married priests to serve their Eastern rite communities, others still see it as a source of tension and division.

To find out more, Philippa Hitchen went along to the conference and spoke to Fr Peter Galadza, a married Ukrainian Greek Catholic priest and professor of Oriental liturgy at the Sheptysky Institute in Ottawa

en.radiovaticana.va
--hide--

Although the 1929 document forbade sending priests east to get ordained, haven't there been cases where that's exactly what happened? It was somewhat common among the Ukrainians and sometimes the Melkites did it too.

Nov 18th 2012 new
My parish has a married priest. The opinion of some bishops is that the 1990 Code of Canon Law abrogated the 1929 law.
Nov 18th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: My parish has a married priest. The opinion of some bishops is that the 1990 Code of Canon Law abrogated ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: My parish has a married priest. The opinion of some bishops is that the 1990 Code of Canon Law abrogated the 1929 law.
--hide--

Who has the option, and is that in the Eastern Code of Canon Law?

Nov 18th 2012 new
No. That the Code suppressed all prior canonical rulings by making them obsolete. That's what I had heard from a priest.
Nov 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Who has the option, and is that in the Eastern Code of Canon Law?
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Who has the option, and is that in the Eastern Code of Canon Law?

--hide--

Hi, Steven,
I looked up some canons in the 1990 Code of Canons of Oriental Churches, and found two canons which may be the basis of the argument that the 1929 prohibition in the document Cum Data Fuerit (from the Sacred Congregation for the Oriental Church) has been abrogated. The document only references the Greek-Ruthenian rite, not all the Eastern Catholic rites, so it looks only to be a particular law which may fall under Canon 6.

Article 12 of Cum Data Fuerit:

"Until there shall be a sufficient number of Greek-Ruthenian priests who have been educated in the United States, whenever any mission of the Ruthenians, either vacant or newly erected, is to be provided with a rector, the ordinaries shall ask bishops of the Greek-Ruthenian Rite of Galicia, Hungary or Yugoslavia, for priests, through the agency of the Sacred Congregation for the Oriental Church. A priest who shall go thither on his own accord, being neither called by one of the Greek-Ruthenian bishops nor sent by the Sacred Congregation, cannot be conceded any faculties by the Greek-Ruthenian bishop, whether it be for celebrating Mass, or for administering sacraments, or for exercising any ecclesiastical duties whatsoever. In the meantime, as has already several times been decreed, priests of the Greek-Ruthenian Rite who wish to go to the United States of North America and stay there, must be celibates."

1990 Code of Canons of Oriental Churches:

"Canon 6 - Once this Code goes into effect:
"1° all common or particular laws are abrogated, which are contrary to the canons of the Code or which pertain to a matter ex integro regulated in this Code;
"2° all customs are revoked which are reprobated by the canons of this Code or which are contrary to them and are neither centenary nor immemorial.

"Canon 373 - Clerical celibacy chosen for the sake of the kingdom of heaven and suited to the priesthood is to be greatly esteemed everywhere, as supported by the tradition of the whole Church; likewise, the hallowed practice of married clerics in the primitive Church and in the tradition of the Eastern Churches throughout the ages is to be held in honor."

Nov 18th 2012 new
Cum Data Fuerit and similar legislation was unjust and resulted in the schism of most the Greek Catholics in North America into Eastern Orthodoxy.

Smart move.

Besides it violated the terms of the Unions of Uzhorod and Brest, which stipulated that married clergy would be retained.
Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Cum Data Fuerit and similar legislation was unjust and resulted in the schism of most the Greek Catholics...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Cum Data Fuerit and similar legislation was unjust and resulted in the schism of most the Greek Catholics in North America into Eastern Orthodoxy.

Smart move.

Besides it violated the terms of the Unions of Uzhorod and Brest, which stipulated that married clergy would be retained.
--hide--

Married clergy was maintained. The document never stated that the Greek-Ruthenians could no longer ordain married men to the ministerial priesthood. It merely stated that ministerial priests could not transfer to the USA if they were married.

Schism is only committed by bad will, not the cause of the big, bad Roman Church. God never demands evil be done that good may come of it.

Nov 19th 2012 new
The arrogance and ignorance of the Roman Curia led to an unnecessary schism. You seem to think that Catholicism and Latinism are the same thing.

They aren't.
Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: The arrogance and ignorance of the Roman Curia led to an unnecessary schism. You seem to think that Catho...
(Quote) John-220051 said: The arrogance and ignorance of the Roman Curia led to an unnecessary schism. You seem to think that Catholicism and Latinism are the same thing.

They aren't.
--hide--

It may seem that I equate Catholicism and Latinism, but I don't. I equate Catholicism with Romanism. The central point around which we all gather as "catholics" is Rome (i.e., the Pope, successor of St. Peter) and orthodoxy. It's not an either/or situation; Rome and orthodoxy are not exclusive centers where one can be orthodox and reject obedience to Rome.

There are many eastern rites which are just as legitimate as the Latin Rite...and they all fall under Rome ULTIMATELY for regulation.

I don't believe there was any injustice perpetrated upon the Greek-Ruthenians by the Sacred Congregation for the Oriental Church in it's 1929 prohibition in Cum Data Fuerit...and I don't think you've presented any evidence as such, either, only made the public claim that this is the case.

Posts 1 - 10 of 47