Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Wouldn't it be safe to say that ecumenism has been a leading ticket of uncatechized Catholics out of Catholicism?

Far more Catholics have become Protestants because of ecumenism than the other way around.
11/19/2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Wouldn't it be safe to say that ecumenism has been a leading ticket of uncatechized Catholics out of ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Wouldn't it be safe to say that ecumenism has been a leading ticket of uncatechized Catholics out of Catholicism?

Far more Catholics have become Protestants because of ecumenism than the other way around.
--hide--
I think these are 2 separate issues, John. The lack of catechesis in my off-the-cuff opinion probably has more to do with the lack of nuns and priests who would often oversee and teach religion classes in parochial schools, and teach "Sunday School" classes to youngsters. There was also more of a strict discipline imposed on youngsters to attend these classes if they weren't in a parochial setting. As our culture evolved to the point where there are more working mothers, there is less time and less energy that parents have to devote to this. Education, secular or religious, begins in the home; it must be fostered and continued there. If parents are lax, it follows that their children will probably be, too.

Personally, I welcomed the ecumenical spirit and see a lot of positive benefits from it. Previously, Catholics were regarded in some circles as being snobbish and looking down at other's faiths. Not a good way to win people over to our side. Ecumenism has emphasized the commonality of faith groups, and working together. We see evidence of this in faith based charitable organizations -- there is a deep rooted spirituality as a driving force, but not necessarily promoting a particular faith. The staff, the volunteers and the recipients of the services all benefit from this atmosphere. Also, we see more unity against what we regard as evils in society. For example, the issue of abortions isn't strictly Catholic. Other faiths are pro-life as well. By banding together in unison, the pro-life movement has become stronger with more people firmly against it and fighting for change. We can accomplish more in unity than we can separately. There are too many success stories resulting from the united spirit of different faiths to ignore or deny the positive influence ecumenism has had.

We don't have to dig too deeply to see how much we all have in common -- we're all God's children.

11/19/2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Wouldn't it be safe to say that ecumenism has been a leading ticket of uncatechized Catholics out of ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Wouldn't it be safe to say that ecumenism has been a leading ticket of uncatechized Catholics out of Catholicism?

--hide--

Is it possible to be an adult Catholic, mature in mind, and not be accountable to know what is necessary for salvation?

It's this person's own fault if he ignores the promptings of the first principles (seek the truth in all things and do good and avoid evil) and fails to educate himself.

Some people blame the dwindling numbers of Catholics on "ecumenism" or other words which are used now to label vague notions, but I don't think so. I think it's a situation of correlation, not causation.

12/09/2012 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: Wouldn't it be safe to say that ecumenism has been a leading ticket of uncatechized Catholics out of Catholicis...

--hide--

I would say that the devil is the one that leads Catholics out of Catholicism.

From my understanding, ecumenism comes straight from the Bible. Through ecumenism, The Holy Catholic Church is following the teachings of Jesus.

John 17:21 That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
12/09/2012 new

--hide--

I think the distinction has to be made between proper and improper Ecumenism, and the difference is that of witness to the Gospel.

The first is done in the spirit of witness that leads to evangelization, and instruction of the ignorant to the truths of the Faith they may not understand (which is one of Spiritual Works of Mercy).

The improper form, which is the one that always seems to get the exposure, is really just the error of Indiffferentism born of the folly of the "enlightenment". That has indeed drawn cathoilcs away from the practice of the Faith, leading to the loss of many souls.

12/09/2012 new
As with most things ecuminism can be correctly done or incorrectly done. First and formost those practicing it must be strong in the faith and orthodox. Twisting the truth or lying about it or ignoring it get us no where and in fact makes jt worse for everyone. The faith doesnt need so much defending most of the time as clearly explained. Many will come if the faith is told in all her majesty. Its when you "compromise" that you falter. Keep in mind social justice issues can unite us to a point, but i suggest you read B16 latest motoproprio before you head down that path far.
Posts 1 - 6 of 6