Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

So I was just wondering if you prefer someone who has the same degree as yours or lower or higher? I have my bachelor's degree and am now going for my masters. I don't think a degree is one of the most important things when finding your other half. Your education does not make you the person you are. It does not make someone more or less intelligent. But for some reason I do find men who have an equal degree as mine to have more in common. I feel we are able to communicate, talk and discuss things that interest me, about life, religion, society, etc... I don't know why that is? Maybe because they share the same love or motivation for education? Also I have come across some profiles who specifically state that they do not want a woman who is intelligent or more intelligent than them! Really!?

So men do you want to find a woman who is your equal in education and intelligence, or do you prefer someone with a lower degree. Same question to you ladies. Are you looking for someone who has a higher or same degree as yours?

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Sally-894891 said: So I was just wondering if you prefer someone who has the same degree as yours or lower or higher...
(Quote) Sally-894891 said:

So I was just wondering if you prefer someone who has the same degree as yours or lower or higher? I have my bachelor's degree and am now going for my masters. I don't think a degree is one of the most important things when finding your other half. Your education does not make you the person you are. It does not make someone more or less intelligent. But for some reason I do find men who have an equal degree as mine to have more in common. I feel we are able to communicate, talk and discuss things that interest me, about life, religion, society, etc... I don't know why that is? Maybe because they share the same love or motivation for education? Also I have come across some profiles who specifically state that they do not want a woman who is intelligent or more intelligent than them! Really!?

So men do you want to find a woman who is your equal in education and intelligence, or do you prefer someone with a lower degree. Same question to you ladies. Are you looking for someone who has a higher or same degree as yours?

--hide--

Sally, if you haven't looked there already, I have a thread that I started in the Women's (pinkies) Forum that discusses this issue - along with a few other points. So, you might want to look at it. I'll be interested to hear the gentlemen's opinions about this topic!

Nov 19th 2012 new

I'm looking for some who has a higher degree than me, but, I don't have a degree, so... tongue

I still don't have my HSD/GED, but I actually just bought the book today to continue on that path. clap

I want to be a SAHM (stay at home mother) so someone who has a degree and/or a good job is something I'm looking for so that we don't have to have a 2 income household to make ends meet.

Nov 19th 2012 new

Who cares? I'm looking for a good woman w/ strong morals, values, and common sense who can communicate w/ a kind and gentle heart.

I'm highly educated but only thru an MBA. My programming experience has no "degree", but I'm highly respected there.

There are a lot of good people whose only "degree" is from the School of Hard Knocks.

I had a platonic relationship w/ a highly skilled Lady MD years ago, and I told her she was out of my league education-wise. She repled that she was also a human being..we got along fine.

Nov 19th 2012 new

Degrees don't mean what they meant decades ago.

Status-conscious people from India seem to care about them, but the world is devaluing degrees fast.

Nov 19th 2012 new

Education and intelligence are not synonymous. I know people who have no education that can talk me under the table on a variety of topics; one in particular studies quantum physics. I know people with graduate degrees that do not discuss anything BUT their education and/or field of interest. I am currently slogging through classes to get the degree I should have years ago. This has not made me incapable of holding my own with the engineers I have worked with for over 20 years.

On the flip side, familiarity breeds contempt. I am not, nor have I ever been a 'girly-girl' and many of those things simply irritate me. I find that I am more to the point than is expected of women in general. That type of clarity has helped me to succeed in this field. It also has made me infinitely more comfortable with people who utilize linear thinking. I have little patience for philosophers or people with a very liberal background who have never left the walls of academia.

Those are MY comfort zones. I also am a morning person, prefer warmer climates and will never be a huge party animal. It is all about what an individual is comfortable with, what makes a relationship work for you. heart

Nov 19th 2012 new

I could careless about degrees, I am looking for a person of good character. My dad and my grandpa did not have degrees but they were smarter and had more character and common sense then I have seen from some people with advanced degrees.

Nov 19th 2012 new

The most important thing in a relationship is kindness. Having a degree doesn't make you kind. Not having a degree does not make you kind either. It is who you are inside that is the most important. It is not looks, education, age, material wealth, or possessions. Maybe you are attracted initially by any one of these things but it is truly who you are that determines if your relationship will last. I know of two brothers one is a dentist.....highly educated and his brother never went to university. However, the brother the one who only has a high school education is very wealthy. He learned how to lay hardwood floors and started his own business. Does that make one better than the other? No In fact the dentist is married to someone without a university degree. He is happily married. He married her and she doesn't have the same education as he does. I know of another couple who met in university. They both had a similar education. The wife got in a terrible car accident and her face was disfigured from her car catching on fire. She had many skin grafts and operations to her face but her face was never the same. Her husband divorced her because he couldn't handle her disfigured face. She was a very beautiful girl before the car accident. Oh and they met while attending a Catholic university. So it didn't matter that they both had a similar education, were both Catholic and that she was good looking but was disfigured by a terrible car accident. No what truly matter is who you are.......education is only one aspect of who you are but it is not the most important.

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: (Quote) Sally-894891 said: So I was just wondering if you prefer someone...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Quote:
Sally-894891 said:

Sally, if you haven't looked there already, I have a thread that I started in the Women's (pinkies) Forum that discusses this issue - along with a few other points. So, you might want to look at it. I'll be interested to hear the gentlemen's opinions about this topic!

--hide--

Well, if this thread is also in the Pinkie Room then I can make a prediction as to where this thread is likely to go...

1.) In one camp there will be the younger crowd who may also be new to this site who will believe that a good relationship and mate goes far beyond matters like status and education level. They will draw inspiration from the success stories of others on this site who have found their "one" in spite of the fact that they weren't a "perfect" match. They put their full faith and trust in God and it led them to the one perfect for them.

2.) And in the other camp there will be those whose memberships here pre-date the New Testament (and likely the most active contributors in the Pinkie Room thread) who will insist that anything less than absolute perfection means that you will be short-changing yourself of what you really deserve. These people will also incessantly complain about being continuously passed over by men that they think are their perfect match for every reason other than themselves, but themselves would reject someone simply because they don't comb their hair the right way. (That's NOT a joke either!)

If I'm looking for inspiration and advice, I'm going with the first camp. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with those in the other camp - everyone is entitled to their preferences - but I generally prefer to take advice from those who are doing better than me, not the same or worse. Obviously, whatever those in the latter camp are doing hasn't worked, isn't working now, and, judging by history, likely won't be working anytime in the forseeable future.

Just the two cents of one man based on his 3 years of experience on CM... 'tis all! biggrin

theheart

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Well, if this thread is also in the Pinkie Room then I can make a predicti...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Well, if this thread is also in the Pinkie Room then I can make a prediction as to where this thread is likely to go...

1.) In one camp there will be the younger crowd who may also be new to this site who will believe that a good relationship and mate goes far beyond matters like status and education level. They will draw inspiration from the success stories of others on this site who have found their "one" in spite of the fact that they weren't a "perfect" match. They put their full faith and trust in God and it led them to the one perfect for them.

2.) And in the other camp there will be those whose memberships here pre-date the New Testament (and likely the most active contributors in the Pinkie Room thread) who will insist that anything less than absolute perfection means that you will be short-changing yourself of what you really deserve. These people will also incessantly complain about being continuously passed over by men that they think are their perfect match for every reason other than themselves, but themselves would reject someone simply because they don't comb their hair the right way. (That's NOT a joke either!)

If I'm looking for inspiration and advice, I'm going with the first camp. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with those in the other camp - everyone is entitled to their preferences - but I generally prefer to take advice from those who are doing better than me, not the same or worse. Obviously, whatever those in the latter camp are doing hasn't worked, isn't working now, and, judging by history, likely won't be working anytime in the forseeable future.

Just the of one man based on his 3 years of experience on CM... 'tis all!

--hide--

Actually Victor, you're wrong on both counts. I think what it comes down to is that you can't generalize how women will react on the basis of age, of how long they have been on here, or any other factor for that matter. You're making assumptions, and remember the old saying about making assumptions ...

Posts 1 - 10 of 133