Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

11/17/2012 new

(Quote) Daniel-634934 said: Just tell me what you like to drink...lol
(Quote) Daniel-634934 said: Just tell me what you like to drink...lol
--hide--

Well since it is Thanksgiving perhaps a sweet red wine would be enjoyed the most. Chilled of course.

11/20/2012 new
(Quote) Carmen-910629 said: Christmas rocks! I got to come home from the hospital with a newborn on Christmas some moons ago (best drug-ne...
(Quote) Carmen-910629 said:

Christmas rocks! I got to come home from the hospital with a newborn on Christmas some moons ago (best drug-needing memory)! So we have at least three familiy birthdays to celebrate during this time. For my children and I this season rocks. We have a special Novena in which we read quite extensively about the Holy Family's faith and physical journey to delivery. It is beautiful to recall the calm and respect the Holy Parents had for each other. Not wanting to worry Mother Mary that he could not find a place to have the baby. Not wanting to worry St. Joseph that she was ready to deliver. Whoever wrote the words, beautiful. Wish I could have been part of that kind of couple!Anyway, at the end of each day's readings there are songs to sing (not the classical carols) and they only sit through the rest because they know this part is coming. They parade around with their instruments and make enough noise to raise Lazarus. They are so disappointed when the Novena ends; they ask for it all year round!

So the children and I go all out. We've collected enough decorations to make it (as my brother would say) a German castle! Almost no wall downstairs is left undecorated. They get tired of "helping" in about two hours and I still have another day to go lol! We bake and put together packages of those "sweet goodies" for our families. Everything stops and this month (December) is a huge fun event. Oreos have a red filling inside at this time and we make trees, trains, angels, but mostly just get sick. The best part is making the Gingerbread house. Have you ever tried this? The darn things never stay together and they break so easily, but who cares, they are a blast to make. (the candy kits are usually cheap and nasty tasting though)

As far as presents, I try to buy only 1 special thing per child so they learn it is about Jesus, not them.

On a personal note, it would be nice to have someone special, but that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon so I sign up online to attend parties for different groups I'm a member of. I mean, a girl still likes to dress up, right? Even if it is just for herself!

I'm getting excited just thinking about all of this fun.

--hide--

Wow, Carmen! It sounds like you have a lot of really neat traditions. Your novena sounds very beautiful! Is there a way to get a copy of it? I'd love to find it.
11/20/2012 new
(Quote) Helen-881220 said: my sister usually has a Christmas Eve party with special foods, and we usually exchange gifts at this time. mos...
(Quote) Helen-881220 said:

my sister usually has a Christmas Eve party with special foods, and we usually exchange gifts at this time. mostly the gifts are very small,and just fun stuff. the men always seem to get thescratch-off lottery cards,and watching them is like watching a young kid opening presents. Hopefully, Midnight Mass is in the picture. it is mostly the brothers and sisters that attend the Christmas dinner at Mom's. this makes it even more special, as we have mom all to ourselves! she is 91.

--hide--

It's wonderful to be able to spend Christmas with adult siblings. I miss the days of sharing it with my brother, especially Midnight Mass. I tend to go by myself these days. Well, not completely. My dad, who is a deacon, is always assisting at the Mass. Mom often opts out to rest up for the next day. I miss sitting next to someone I know and love, singing and praying with them.
11/20/2012 new
(Quote) Daniel-634934 said: It looks like this year I will be wallowing in misery
(Quote) Daniel-634934 said:

It looks like this year I will be wallowing in misery

--hide--

Daniel? You turning into the grinch? Bah hum-bug!!! Snap out of it!! You need to step out of that mode. Christmas is still a month off. Plenty of time to find Christmas Joy. Gotta focus on Jesus, Others, then Yourself!!

I've found that it is just when I surrender my own desire to share the romantic season with someone else, God blesses us with more that what we've hoped for.

In God's time it will happen. In the meantime our job is be party planners/party guests. 'Tis the season!santahat
11/20/2012 new
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: You have too much going for you. I remember holidays when I did that. I am finally in a place where I am go...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

You have too much going for you. I remember holidays when I did that. I am finally in a place where I am good being alone as I am no longer lonely. There are too many people who truly love me to be there ever again. My daughter is 26. She has spent all but one Thanksgiving since she was 15 with friends of ours (she was too close to delivering to make the trip). I no longer agonize over that. Last year, I made plans with other friends who had no family in the area. It was nice not to be a late add on to someone's day out of pity.

God pushed me to make a change this year, to open my home to others. I passed the word to several people in my area and in my church. As of Monday (when I gave away my big table that seats six), I was planning to be here alone. Fast forward, I know have eight which includes my daughter and grandson with three more tentative! It's going to be a full house and I'm more excited than I have been in years.

Reach out Daniel, to someone else who is alone. Use that outstretched hand to hug someone, serve at a soup kitchen, open them to God. I promise that God will fill that open hand with blessings beyond measure!

--hide--

clap Excellent advice, Annemarie!
11/20/2012 new

mine is tattered. Over 40 years old hand me down from my parents. I'll see if I can get a copy online.

Posts 61 - 66 of 66