Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Just a funfact. A (children's)holiday in the Netherlands 'Sinterklaas' that we celebrate on December 5th. The holiday is a traditional catholic holiday where we celebrate the birthday of saint Nicholas of Myra (Turkey/Greece). Here's some more information about him: en.wikipedia.org

Now why this is a funfact for you Americans. Santa Claus is a spin-off of the dutch holiday Sinterklaas. Do you see the similarities in name? Also the way it's celebrated has a lot of similarities. Like with sinterklaas we get presents on the evening of December 5th, traditionally through the chimney. Also Sinterklaas has helpers just like Santa Claus. Sinterklaas has 'zwarte piet' (black piet).

11/17/2012 new
(Quote) Sally-894891 said: Just a funfact. A (children's)holiday in the Netherlands 'Sinterklaas' that we celebrate on Decembe...
(Quote) Sally-894891 said:

Just a funfact. A (children's)holiday in the Netherlands 'Sinterklaas' that we celebrate on December 5th. The holiday is a traditional catholic holiday where we celebrate the birthday of saint Nicholas of Myra (Turkey/Greece). Here's some more information about him: en.wikipedia.org

Now why this is a funfact for you Americans. Santa Claus is a spin-off of the dutch holiday Sinterklaas. Do you see the similarities in name? Also the way it's celebrated has a lot of similarities. Like with sinterklaas we get presents on the evening of December 5th, traditionally through the chimney. Also Sinterklaas has helpers just like Santa Claus. Sinterklaas has 'zwarte piet' (black piet).

--hide--

I have been somewhat interested over the years on how Santa Claus gets interperated in different cultures. A slight side note was when I visited Palermo, Sicily, with family, around Christmas about 6 years ago. There were several apartments that had a Santa Claus hanging off a rope ladder from apartment balconies. Since most homes did not have chimneys and fireplaces, their tradition had Santa Claus climb in through a window or balcony door, and various helpers too.
11/20/2012 new

A lot of us here in the states celebrate St. Nicholas' feast day, too. I used it as a teaching instrument to keep the meaning of Christmas as it belongs to the Christ child. It became a bigger deal when I moved to an area that was predominantly Ukrainian. My daughter and I were talking about how we're going to add more significance to the feast for my grandson this year. I'm really thankful that classes end on the 5th this year!!! heart

11/20/2012 new

We used to celebrate this holiday in my Catholic school, I think. We'd all put a shoe outside the classroom, and a while later, it'd be filled with candy! Lot's of fun!

11/20/2012 new

(Quote) James-912930 said: We used to celebrate this holiday in my Catholic school, I think. We'd all put a shoe outside...
(Quote) James-912930 said:

We used to celebrate this holiday in my Catholic school, I think. We'd all put a shoe outside the classroom, and a while later, it'd be filled with candy! Lot's of fun!

--hide--

James you will be happy to know...this is a tradition still carried on today! My kids love to see what will be in their shoes outside of the classrooms! It is a great way to start the season.

11/20/2012 new
That's awesome. Yes, during the time that sinterklaas is in the country you can put your shoe at the front door every evening and get a present in the morning.
Posts 1 - 6 of 6