Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Knights' anti-gay marriage funding sparks petition

Updated: Tuesday, 20 Nov 2012, 5:30 PM EST
Published : Tuesday, 20 Nov 2012, 10:59 AM EST

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — A Catholic advocacy group was delivering more than 5,000 petition signatures to theKnights of Columbus that ask the Catholic fraternal organization to stop funding divisive political issues, such as opposing same-sex marriage..

Catholics United Education Fund planned to protest Tuesday outside the Knights' New Haven headquarters.

The liberal advocacy group, which claims 45,000 members, says the Knights spent more than $600,000 opposing same-sex marriage in the last election cycle. The effort drives younger Catholics away from the faith and the Knights should focus on serving the poor and vulnerable, the group said.

"As Catholics who love the church, many of whom like myself have dedicated my life to the church, are saddened that the faith is increasingly aligned with a far right reactionary political agenda," said James Salt, executive director of Catholics United.

The Knights, which provides life insurance and is the largest lay Catholic organization in the world, said it supports Catholic social teaching, including on moral issues. The group says its first concern has always been charity, and over the past decade has donated more than $1.4 billion and 664 million hours to charitable cause

Catholics United, citing a report last month from a coalition of Catholics who support gay rights, said the Knights donated more than $600,000 this year for ballot initiatives in Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington state.

Voters in Washington, Maryland and Maine approved gay marriage earlier this month, while Minnesota voters rejected a proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

The Catholic Church supported anti-gay marriage campaigns in those states.

The Knights have spent more than $6 million since 2005 opposing same-sex marriage, according to the report cited by Catholics United.

Nov 20th 2012 new

It is better for the Knights to be persecuted for telling the Truth, in Charity, to a nation that doesn't want to hear it than to fall to the darkness of compromise (aka capitulation) that is destroying so much else of what was the Catholic Identity of this country.

If we stand together, we will not be moved. If we fray, we will fail.

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Michael-556947 said: Knights' anti-gay marriage fu...
(Quote) Michael-556947 said:

Knights' anti-gay marriage funding sparks petition

Updated: Tuesday, 20 Nov 2012, 5:30 PM EST
Published : Tuesday, 20 Nov 2012, 10:59 AM EST

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — A Catholic advocacy group was delivering more than 5,000 petition signatures to theKnights of Columbus that ask the Catholic fraternal organization to stop funding divisive political issues, such as opposing same-sex marriage..

Catholics United Education Fund planned to protest Tuesday outside the Knights' New Haven headquarters.

The liberal advocacy group, which claims 45,000 members, says the Knights spent more than $600,000 opposing same-sex marriage in the last election cycle. The effort drives younger Catholics away from the faith and the Knights should focus on serving the poor and vulnerable, the group said.

"As Catholics who love the church, many of whom like myself have dedicated my life to the church, are saddened that the faith is increasingly aligned with a far right reactionary political agenda," said James Salt, executive director of Catholics United.

The Knights, which provides life insurance and is the largest lay Catholic organization in the world, said it supports Catholic social teaching, including on moral issues. The group says its first concern has always been charity, and over the past decade has donated more than $1.4 billion and 664 million hours to charitable cause

Catholics United, citing a report last month from a coalition of Catholics who support gay rights, said the Knights donated more than $600,000 this year for ballot initiatives in Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington state.

Voters in Washington, Maryland and Maine approved gay marriage earlier this month, while Minnesota voters rejected a proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

The Catholic Church supported anti-gay marriage campaigns in those states.

The Knights have spent more than $6 million since 2005 opposing same-sex marriage, according to the report cited by Catholics United.

--hide--


If the KOC charter says they can spend their money to support political causes, then it seems OK to me.

Too bad that Catholics United finds its offensive.

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Michael-556947 said: Knights' anti-gay marriage fu...
(Quote) Michael-556947 said:

Knights' anti-gay marriage funding sparks petition

Updated: Tuesday, 20 Nov 2012, 5:30 PM EST
Published : Tuesday, 20 Nov 2012, 10:59 AM EST

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — A Catholic advocacy group was delivering more than 5,000 petition signatures to theKnights of Columbus that ask the Catholic fraternal organization to stop funding divisive political issues, such as opposing same-sex marriage..

Catholics United Education Fund planned to protest Tuesday outside the Knights' New Haven headquarters.

The liberal advocacy group, which claims 45,000 members, says the Knights spent more than $600,000 opposing same-sex marriage in the last election cycle. The effort drives younger Catholics away from the faith and the Knights should focus on serving the poor and vulnerable, the group said.

"As Catholics who love the church, many of whom like myself have dedicated my life to the church, are saddened that the faith is increasingly aligned with a far right reactionary political agenda," said James Salt, executive director of Catholics United.

The Knights, which provides life insurance and is the largest lay Catholic organization in the world, said it supports Catholic social teaching, including on moral issues. The group says its first concern has always been charity, and over the past decade has donated more than $1.4 billion and 664 million hours to charitable cause

Catholics United, citing a report last month from a coalition of Catholics who support gay rights, said the Knights donated more than $600,000 this year for ballot initiatives in Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington state.

Voters in Washington, Maryland and Maine approved gay marriage earlier this month, while Minnesota voters rejected a proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

The Catholic Church supported anti-gay marriage campaigns in those states.

The Knights have spent more than $6 million since 2005 opposing same-sex marriage, according to the report cited by Catholics United.

--hide--
"Catholics United Education Fund" need to change their names and quit claiming to be Catholic causing scandal to our faith....disgusting. Love the sinner and hate the sin.....Catholics believe in SIN no matter how hard the devil tries to say their aint any.

Nov 21st 2012 new

Seems to me that the real problem here is that this is yet another example of an organization (Catholics United Education Fund) using the name "Catholic" that does not support Catholic teaching. I believe that there should be a legal way for the "Catholic" church to force such organizations to stop using the word "Catholic" in their name when they are not in communion with the Catholic church.


KofC can and should support such efforts to redefine marriage. This is completely in line with Catholic teaching.


Ed

Nov 21st 2012 new

Of course, their was an error in the preceding message... It should read....

"KofC can and should support such efforts to stop the redefinition of marriage. This is completely in line with Catholic teaching.


Ed

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Seems to me that the real problem here is that this is yet another example of an organization (...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Seems to me that the real problem here is that this is yet another example of an organization (Catholics United Education Fund) using the name "Catholic" that does not support Catholic teaching. I believe that there should be a legal way for the "Catholic" church to force such organizations to stop using the word "Catholic" in their name when they are not in communion with the Catholic church.


KofC can and should support such efforts to redefine marriage. This is completely in line with Catholic teaching.


Ed

--hide--
I volunteered through my Knights of Columbus council to be a circulator for our parish to gather signatures opposing the redefinition of marriage here in the People's Republic of Maryland. At least we managed to get it on the ballot. I'm still shocked that we lost. This group's existence is news to me. Scary.

Posts 1 - 7 of 7