Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

11/11/2012 new
What is a "White Elephant"?

This is one of the most fun traditional activities we have in our CM Indy group. Every Christmas Party, each attendee brings a "gift" from home. This is not meant to be a purchased gift, but rather something that they want to part with. White Elephants can be useful, attractive, desirable, or, well.... just plain o' junk. What is one person's trash is another's treasure, right? Wrap it up all attractive like!! present (shhhNot tags or identification of who brought the gift!!!)

Then at the party we will put them all in a pile in the middle of the room. Numbers are drawn for the order of selecting the gifts. Then we take turns by number choosing a gift from the pile. Each person (with the exception of #1) has the option of stealing a gift that has already been selected or choosing from the pile. A single gift can only be stolen twice (only three owners). Once a gift has been selected it is opened before the next number goes.

It's a lot of fun! Takes a long time as we have gotten larger as a group, but it is so fun to laugh over people's reactions and have fun with all the possibilities. We have some gifts that make return appearances and have become the stuff of legends. We're looking forward to the hilarity that this year's White Elephant will bring!! hyper
11/13/2012 new

<--------is looking around for the tackiest White Elephant gift I can possibly find. laughing laughing laughing rolling eyes cool

I'll be sure to wrap it up real pretty too!

11/13/2012 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: <--------is looking around for the tackiest White Elephant gift I can possibly find. I&#...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

<--------is looking around for the tackiest White Elephant gift I can possibly find.

--hide--

The White Elephant thing is pretty cool... Ive got a good one too... However, mine probably wont be wrapped as pretty as yours Mary... hehe...

11/14/2012 new

(Quote) Dennis-754668 said: (Quote) Mary-363093 said: <--------is looking around for the tackiest ...
(Quote) Dennis-754668 said:

Quote:
Mary-363093 said:

<--------is looking around for the tackiest White Elephant gift I can possibly find.

The White Elephant thing is pretty cool... Ive got a good one too... However, mine probably wont be wrapped as pretty as yours Mary... hehe...

--hide--

I know of at least one person who is hoping I bring back Slinky Dog for another chance to claim him - but nope, it's not gonna happen.
Now come on Dennis, it's not hard to wrap a bottle of chocolate wine........... laughing wink

11/18/2012 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: (Quote) Dennis-754668 said: (Quote) Mary-363093 said: <...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

Quote:
Dennis-754668 said:

Quote:
Mary-363093 said:

I know of at least one person who is hoping I bring back Slinky Dog for another chance to claim him - but nope, it's not gonna happen.
Now come on Dennis, it's not hard to wrap a bottle of chocolate wine...........

--hide--

Thats funny Mary... It looks like Slinky Dog found a good home... It will also, be fun to see how many of the gifts make a return apperance... Chocolate wine aye...

11/18/2012 new
(Quote) Dennis-754668 said: Thats funny Mary... It looks like Slinky Dog found a good home... It will also, be fun to see ...
(Quote) Dennis-754668 said:

Thats funny Mary... It looks like Slinky Dog found a good home... It will also, be fun to see how many of the gifts make a return apperance... Chocolate wine aye...

--hide--

Lol I do wish I was attending --- I live White elephant parties!!!!!
11/20/2012 new
Still would love to have more people join us for our annual party! We have many wonderful people coming, really the very best kind of people-- God's people! Fun, faith-filled and just a bit crazy! I promise we will do all that we can to make sure you enjoy yourself! Not too late at all to sign up!! And don't hesitate to ask questions. We crave questions! mischievous
11/20/2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: Still would love to have more people join us for our annual party! We have many wonderful people coming, r...
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: Still would love to have more people join us for our annual party! We have many wonderful people coming, really the very best kind of people-- God's people! Fun, faith-filled and just a bit crazy! I promise we will do all that we can to make sure you enjoy yourself! Not too late at all to sign up!! And don't hesitate to ask questions. We crave questions!
--hide--

wave O.K.....Here's one. Is the hotel reservation info posted somewhere else? O.K Two shhh ...if one has a 17 year old son, could one bring said son? He is Baptist, but maybe with a few good squeezes we can turn him around. laughing (I am totally kidding of course biggrin ).

11/21/2012 new
(Quote) Celia-821539 said: O.K.....Here's one. Is the hotel reservation info posted somewhere else? O.K Two ...if one has ...
(Quote) Celia-821539 said:

O.K.....Here's one. Is the hotel reservation info posted somewhere else? O.K Two ...if one has a 17 year old son, could one bring said son? He is Baptist, but maybe with a few good squeezes we can turn him around. (I am totally kidding of course ).

--hide--

wave Celia! We'd love to have you join us!!! If you prefer to make hotel reservations, you can, but we do have room for everyone to stay at Nancy's and Rob's houses. We want our guests (especially our first timers) to feel comfortable. Part of the blessings that the CM Indy Crew offers is low cost FUN FUN FUN. We take pleasure in being able to draw people from long distances because we can offer the option of not having to pay for a place to stay.

And let me assure you that our accommodations are planned so that no one need feel apprehensive about the male- female dynamic. We have very clear separation of the sleeping quarters. After more than fifteen overnight events, we've never had a problem with this and have the idea down pat!

We have always said that our events should include the family members of our attendees. We want to include, not exclude. Your son is welcome to join us. We've had teenage offspring join us before, and they become just part of the overall good time. We do our best to make them comfortable and feel welcome. All of us know that we can be a powerful witness to others, especially youth, about living our Catholic faith in a real and appealing way.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me here or privately. Please sign up on the events page and include a message about your plans.
11/21/2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: ..... and just a bit crazy! ....
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: ..... and just a bit crazy! ....
--hide--

HEY! irked Who you callin' crazy? tongue boggled
Oh heck, I can't even pull off PRETENDING to be shocked - that particular shoe fits several of us! laughing But we're all crazy in a FUN way!

BTW Lady Dawn, I'm on a MISSION...

for mistletoe! lovestruck! heart wave

GOTTA have some mistletoe at our party again, it was so much fun last year! (Many thanks to our dear Sir Ray for supplying us with 'surprise mistletoe' last year, even if he didn't get to attend the party and benefit from it himself!)

I'm smooch-deprived weeping - so are a bunch of other CM gals, we need some Christmas cheer! And for anyone who's wondering - YES smooches on the cheek will do just fine too - we Indy gals are not picky! shhh laughing

Posts 11 - 20 of 36