Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 20th 2012 new

I've been all over the place and this seems right. All my life i've been to Catholic as well as all sorts of Protestant and also nothing beliefs (thats what I call atheism). Yes. Catholicism isn't perfect but I almost shamefully laugh when you suggest that Protestant education is better. Apparently you haven't been to many protestant services if you don't think they constantly ask for money. They do as much, if not more. Protestant churches have gotten a lot more of my money than the Catholic Church, which is worldly more philanthropic. I've been back for a very few years. Other than that (I'm 50), I've been elsewhere and back since I was 12. I'm sorry I didn't figure it out earlier. I've listened to many Protestant sermons and Catholic homilies. Anecdotal, I know, but my dad, if he practiced, said he'd be Catholic.

My experience in Protestant churches is not only do they constantly ask for money. They neglect their existing congregants (while asking them to pay more when they're not being "fed"). And I felt that if I didn't help "save" unbelievers, I was inherently selfish. And the irony of it was that I thought I was. I didn't feel "saved" either. I guess they thought I'd be around and if I wasn't an individual, I didn't count as much as the new "saved" people (who are also individuals) Then the Protestants cave in to get more members or to keep as many of the marginal ones as they can. I don't see that in the Catholic Church. I suggest you observe elsewhere before you critisize only the Catholic Church. I don't know what you think but I've seen the prostitution of values.. And I've spent years in both.

I don't know how things can be interpreted, but I've never ever heard the blatant order (not request) for money in the Catholic Church. I've never left a mass disgusted as I have elsewhere.

Nov 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Julie-909449 said: I've been all over the place and this seems right. All my life i've been to Catholic as w...
(Quote) Julie-909449 said:

I've been all over the place and this seems right. All my life i've been to Catholic as well as all sorts of Protestant and also nothing beliefs (thats what I call atheism). Yes. Catholicism isn't perfect but I almost shamefully laugh when you suggest that Protestant education is better. Apparently you haven't been to many protestant services if you don't think they constantly ask for money. They do as much, if not more. Protestant churches have gotten a lot more of my money than the Catholic Church, which is worldly more philanthropic. I've been back for a very few years. Other than that (I'm 50), I've been elsewhere and back since I was 12. I'm sorry I didn't figure it out earlier. I've listened to many Protestant sermons and Catholic homilies. Anecdotal, I know, but my dad, if he practiced, said he'd be Catholic.

My experience in Protestant churches is not only do they constantly ask for money. They neglect their existing congregants (while asking them to pay more when they're not being "fed"). And I felt that if I didn't help "save" unbelievers, I was inherently selfish. And the irony of it was that I thought I was. I didn't feel "saved" either. I guess they thought I'd be around and if I wasn't an individual, I didn't count as much as the new "saved" people (who are also individuals) Then the Protestants cave in to get more members or to keep as many of the marginal ones as they can. I don't see that in the Catholic Church. I suggest you observe elsewhere before you critisize only the Catholic Church. I don't know what you think but I've seen the prostitution of values.. And I've spent years in both.

I don't know how things can be interpreted, but I've never ever heard the blatant order (not request) for money in the Catholic Church. I've never left a mass disgusted as I have elsewhere.

--hide--

Julie, just a couple of things.

The only thing I Believe Protestant education for their ministers is better is in homiletics. On average they are better preachers than Catholic priests are on average. They may also have an edge in biblical studies. But in every other ministerial subject, Catholic seminary education is better. Except for those two areas, Catholic priests are far better educated on average.

I would also point out that as far as the begging goes, I only spoke of what I saw in my childhood. In all my grammar school days, I never heard a sermon on any subject except money; Sunday after Sunday after Sunday. That is a total of 416 Sundays and 416 sermons on why the parishioners were not giving enough to keep the Church operating. Funny, that Parish is still operating today. As an aside, the pastor came from a wealthy family and I will grant that while he was Pastor, even for many years after my family had moved away, it was his money that kept that parish alive financially. And that was despite two carnivals a year, at least 4 raffles, weekly bingo and assorted other fund raisers plus tuition for the school.

I am sure I have not had the same experience as you have had with Protestant services, but the few I did attend, when a plea for money took place, it was only a minor mention. That was also true of a Reformed Jewish service I attended. The plea for money was a mere mention and the rest of the sermon on the Torah.

The main impression I cam away with from the non-catholic servies I have attended was always, if only our priests were able to preach like that. To me the difference in preaching abilities was that striking. I got nothing else of real value from any of them.

That was probably why in the 30 or so years I abandoned the Church, I never went out of my way to find another denomination to associate with. There just was nothing there, despite the excellent preaching skills I observed.

Nov 20th 2012 new
Hello Julie. It takes courage to share your own experience as you have, so I commend you and thank you for it. I see some good advice in your posts and from others who followed. Personally I've never subscribed to the medical theory of reduction abortion being necessarily safer for the mother or the other children. Granted I am not a scientist, but so much of the abortion justification by the medical community in general is based on false and/or bad science, starting first and foremost with the claim that life doesn't necessarily begin at conception. One thing that came to mind when reading your story was Pope John Paul II's "The Gospel of Life". There is a section in there regarding women who have had abortions. Have you read this? It really echoes some of the advice given here but goes beyond and gives hope. I think you are on that path. Thank you for sharing your story, and God bless you on your journey. John
Nov 21st 2012 new

I didn't purposely destroy my embryos. I just couldn't do it. That presents another problem. If they are adopted, they'd only survive if they were implanted (IVF). I guess indirectly, I did destroy them. When they're frozen in liquid nitrogen, they crystalize (cells are destroyed). They're over 10 years old so the likeliness of viability is virtually nil.

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Julie-909449 said: I didn't purposely destroy my embryos. I just couldn't do it. That presents another probl...
(Quote) Julie-909449 said:

I didn't purposely destroy my embryos. I just couldn't do it. That presents another problem. If they are adopted, they'd only survive if they were implanted (IVF). I guess indirectly, I did destroy them. When they're frozen in liquid nitrogen, they crystalize (cells are destroyed). They're over 10 years old so the likeliness of viability is virtually nil.

--hide--

I am so sorry. I don't know what it is like to be in this position but I know that God can handle this issue Julie!

I think these complicated issues above are an example of why the Catholic Church is against these artificial means of conception. So that is in some way painful or perplexing I would imagine.

Posts 21 - 25 of 25