Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

11/25/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I understand now what you were saying in the previous post. It is interesting how you ...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I understand now what you were saying in the previous post. It is interesting how you are using Italy in this post because
the Holy Roman Empire was so big at one time.

--hide--

The Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Empire were big and far reaching, but that didn't mean that everyone in it spoke Latin. Case in point is the Eastern Roman Empire, which, I believe after the Iconoclast controversy, had already ceased using Latin as the state language in favor of Greek...while the state language of the Western part of the Empire was as yet still Latin.

I am not disputing that English, as it is the language of the Republican Federation of the states of America, ought to be used in public commerce. I am saying it's not anybody's business what language I speak to my sister on the street, and it shouldn't be a prejudicial aspect.

11/25/2012 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: The Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Empire were big and far reaching, but that didn'...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

The Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Empire were big and far reaching, but that didn't mean that everyone in it spoke Latin. Case in point is the Eastern Roman Empire, which, I believe after the Iconoclast controversy, had already ceased using Latin as the state language in favor of Greek...while the state language of the Western part of the Empire was as yet still Latin.

I am not disputing that English, as it is the language of the Republican Federation of the states of America, ought to be used in public commerce. I am saying it's not anybody's business what language I speak to my sister on the street, and it shouldn't be a prejudicial aspect.

--hide--

"Prejudicial aspects" are not entering into this conversation unless you want to introduce them by your comment.

11/25/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: "Prejudicial aspects" are not entering into this conversation unless you wan...

"Prejudicial aspects" are not entering into this conversation unless you want to introduce them by your comment.

--hide--

OK

11/25/2012 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: The Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Empire were big and far reaching, but that didn'...

--hide--

Why are you calling our country the "Republican Federation of the states of America?" Very strange.

11/25/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Culture shock is a good term. Because it is a culture shock to hear that much Spanish spok...

Culture shock is a good term. Because it is a culture shock to hear that much Spanish spoken that much of the time
in my own area. It is not general negativity. Spanish is not a soothing or soft spoken language. It is irritating.
At least the Spanish they speak around here.

--hide--

Whether Spanish sounds soothing and soft-spoken or harsh and ugly is an extremely subjective point. How you characterize it can depend a lot on your other experiences and associations with the language and culture. If you have more negative experiences to associate with a culture/language, you are more likely to think it has an unpleasant sound, and vice-versa.

What is it about hearing so much Spanish around you that worries, concerns, or frustrates you?

11/25/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Why are you calling our country the "Republican Federation of the states of Ameri...

Why are you calling our country the "Republican Federation of the states of America?" Very strange.

--hide--

That's what it effectively is, Marianne. We elect representatives to decide what we want: republicanism. Our states have joined in a federation under the title of USA, viz. the Federal Gov't...so, I call it a republican federation. It seems logical to me.

11/26/2012 new

(Quote) Laura-896845 said: Whether Spanish sounds soothing and soft-spoken or harsh and ugly is an extremely su...
(Quote) Laura-896845 said:

Whether Spanish sounds soothing and soft-spoken or harsh and ugly is an extremely subjective point. How you characterize it can depend a lot on your other experiences and associations with the language and culture. If you have more negative experiences to associate with a culture/language, you are more likely to think it has an unpleasant sound, and vice-versa.

What is it about hearing so much Spanish around you that worries, concerns, or frustrates you?

--hide--

There is no need to play analyst. Language is a sound. Sounds permeate the senses. Some are melodious, others
are not.

11/26/2012 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: That's what it effectively is, Marianne. We elect representatives to decide what we...

That's what it effectively is, Marianne. We elect representatives to decide what we want: republicanism. Our states have joined in a federation under the title of USA, viz. the Federal Gov't...so, I call it a republican federation. It seems logical to me.

--hide--

Well, that is a new name I have learned.

11/26/2012 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: As far as Europe goes, nationalism based on language is quite new. Even now in European...

As far as Europe goes, nationalism based on language is quite new. Even now in European countries such as Spain and France, the Basque language, Euskara and the Corsican language (also spoken in Italy), Corsu are still spoken widely. While they aren't majority languages, to my knowledge they are still taught in school in the regions where they're common.

After coming in from Ellis Island in 1917, my Lithuanian great-grandfather moved to "little Lithuania" in Chicago. There, it is common to hear the language, even now. There even used to be a Lithuanian language newspaper there, too.

I don't have a problem hearing people speak Spanish or Hindi or Urdu or Portuguese or any number of other languages. These things come and go. I understand speaking in English being a pre-requisite of business with the public at large, but could care less if people spoke their mother-tongue on the bus, sidewalk, shopping mall, etc. in a private capacity.

It's not language that divides us in the USA, it's religion and rationality. I, for one, do not ascribe to the post-protestant mainstream americanism...and that divides me from a lot of people whether I speak English or not.

--hide--

Do you know if Lituania was becoming Communist when your great grandfather came to the USA?

11/26/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: As I walk around the streets, or go into stores, or take mass transit, I hear so muchSpani...

As I walk around the streets, or go into stores, or take mass transit, I hear so much
Spanish around me.

A lot is wrong with a divided America.

--hide--

Are you for real? surprised How is speaking a foreign language causing a division in America? Please elaborate.

Posts 21 - 30 of 112