Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

What Would You Do?

11/26/2012 new

This thread was inspired by a story I just read of a real-life occurrence. If anyone would like to add different "what would you do" scenarios after answering, please do!

You buy a little picture at a yard sale for very cheap. When you take the picture out of the frame, you find another picture underneath, and this one turns out to be done by someone of some note, and the picture is worth about $5000.

What would you do:
--do you feel completely entitled to the $5000, and keep it all;
--do you share a portion of it with the person at whose yard sale you bought it;
--do you return it completely to that person;
--or do you make another choice of action?

More interestingly: why did you make your choice?

11/26/2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: This thread was inspired by a story I just read of a real-life occurrence. If anyone would like to...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

This thread was inspired by a story I just read of a real-life occurrence. If anyone would like to add different "what would you do" scenarios after answering, please do!

You buy a little picture at a yard sale for very cheap. When you take the picture out of the frame, you find another picture underneath, and this one turns out to be done by someone of some note, and the picture is worth about $5000.

What would you do:
--do you feel completely entitled to the $5000, and keep it all;
--do you share a portion of it with the person at whose yard sale you bought it;
--do you return it completely to that person;
--or do you make another choice of action?

More interestingly: why did you make your choice?

--hide--
I'd just return it. I'm pretty far from sainthood, but at my age money just doesn't mean much anymore.

11/26/2012 new

Findsy Keepsies. biggrin Losers Weepsies. weeping

11/26/2012 new

More posts---anyone, anyone?? eyebrow

11/26/2012 new

This is taking some thought. Not knowing where the person who had the yard sale got it from leaves me wondering about the rightful owner. The fact that it was hidden under another picture leads me to believe the original owner must have died without telling anyone about it, so there are probably heirs that would hold it dearly sentimental. So for that reason I would try to solve the mystery and find the original owner. However, if I purchased it at a second hand shop or flea market would I feel compelled to return it to the shop/market? I don't think so. I would thank the good Lord for placing me at the right place at the right time. It may be valued at $5000 but is only worth that amount if someone is willing to pay that much for it.

02/02/2013 new

(Quote) Donna-871766 said: This is taking some thought. Not knowing where the person who had the yard sale got it from leave...
(Quote) Donna-871766 said:

This is taking some thought. Not knowing where the person who had the yard sale got it from leaves me wondering about the rightful owner. The fact that it was hidden under another picture leads me to believe the original owner must have died without telling anyone about it, so there are probably heirs that would hold it dearly sentimental. So for that reason I would try to solve the mystery and find the original owner. However, if I purchased it at a second hand shop or flea market would I feel compelled to return it to the shop/market? I don't think so. I would thank the good Lord for placing me at the right place at the right time. It may be valued at $5000 but is only worth that amount if someone is willing to pay that much for it.

--hide--

I would agree with Donna, I would look into who owned the picture prior to the people selling it and end up returning the picture to them.

02/02/2013 new

If I were the one who sold it...I wouldn't feel as though I were owed anything by the person who bought it from me...and yet...If I was the one who bought it....I too may feel compelled to at least share some of it's worth with the seller....darn Catholic guilt!!!

02/02/2013 new
Tell the dictator in chief so he can sign an executive order BANNING yard sales because D.C. doesn't get any of the action! irked

Oh wait, this isn't Zoom's Banned thread is it? embarassed
Posts 1 - 8 of 8