Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

I have been married x 2, the first time in the church and the second not. What do I need to do? And how do I tell that part of my brain to be quiet when it says you were first married 40 years ago and he has remarried so why bother? I find it hard to remember most of the marriage, of course that could be a defense mechanism. Then do I have to have my 2nd one annuled also? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, jan

Nov 28th 2012 new

Hi Jan,

It is good that you are looking into this. I have never been married, so my suggestion would be to call your parish Priest or Deacon. They should have someone that is in charge of annullments at your parish. Good luck and God bless you! Veronica

Nov 28th 2012 new

Hello, Jan,

Great question! Many people puzzle over this same issue. Here's the deal...

The Catholic Church assumes every marriage is valid unless proven otherwise. If you were married in the Church the first time and especially if you both were baptized, the Church assumes you have a valid marriage unless you allow them the opportunity to determine if the marriage wasn't valid afterall. There are many reasons why this might happen. So, your second marriage is not recognized as a valid marriage because you were already bound to your first spouse. Therefore, you would not need a second annulment unless your first marriage was proven to not be valid.

Don't confuse "valid" with "real." The Church does recognize that two people stood before witnesses, professed vows, lived together and started a family. They had a real relationship. But it may not have been a valid union in the eyes of God. The annulment process helps determine what happened.

I encourage you to apply for the annulment process because you will experience much healing through it. Here are some articles I've written about the annulment process that I hope you find helpful in answering your questions:

www.catholicmatch.com

www.catholicmatch.com

www.catholicmatch.com

www.catholicmatch.com

I will keep you in my prayers.

Sincerely,

Lisa Duffy

Nov 28th 2012 new

Thank you ladies, I will be checking into this tomorrow and will let you know! jan

Posts 1 - 4 of 4