Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

The Federal Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit in St. Louis last night agreed to block the implementation of the HHS Mandate against \– Catholic businessman Frank O’Brien – while he pursues his appeal of the lower court decision. Below is part of what you can find at CatholicVote.org concerning this subject.

"To be clear, this ruling only stops the enforcement of the mandate against Frank O'Brien's company. But the Court traditionally does not grant such a motion unless they believe we have a solid case, and have a reasonable change to win.

This is a significant step considering that the ruling was made on behalf of a private business – not a religious organization. Of course religious organizations deserve protection from the mandate, but so does every American. We want religious freedom for everyone!

I am emphasizing to the media that while Mr. O’Brien’s company is not a religious organization, he does not view his faith as something separate from his professional work. Christians do not check their faith at the church door on Sundays. We are called to live out our faith in everything we do.

Yesterday's decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit marks the highest court yet to issue an injunction against the HHS mandate."

To get more information, go to CatholicVote.org.

Hopefully, this serious Constitutional issue will be cleared up and we can go back to having religious freedom in America. It's time now to pray, pray, and pray some more. Praying

- Elizabeth

11/29/2012 new

THANK YOU for sharing. It seems we are not hearing much lately, but myabe it is just me. Keep us posted!

11/29/2012 new

It gets even better higher up the ladder.

www.foxnews.com

11/29/2012 new

(Quote) Brian-699857 said: It gets even better higher up the ladder.www.foxnews.com.
(Quote) Brian-699857 said:

It gets even better higher up the ladder.

www.foxnews.com

--hide--

You are absolutely right, Brian. The thing I love most about the Liberty University case is that this is a Protestant school which broadens the religious base against Obamacare. If all lines up, the Christian business person, Christian school, Christian hospitals, etc. both Catholic and Protestant will be able to defeat this mandate using the First Amendment. You gotta love America...there's more than one way to skin a cat, and it appears those of us who appreciate our religious freedom are working on different methods to do the skinning.

These legal battles costs a lot of money and I am hopeful those of us who are angered about Obamacare and want this changed will contribute to the legal funds that are leading the fight. What we didn't do in the election, we can do through the Courts, but the financial cost of litigation is high.

- Elizabeth

11/29/2012 new

I'm thinking there will be a flood of money to support the case, but I'm wondering if the university can request an injuction to prevent any modifications from taking place until the case is satisfied. I'll leave it to the lawyers on the site to chime in there, but we sure did a lot of those motions taking place in AZ in the appeals courts when the immigration bills were being hammered out.

11/29/2012 new

I believe that I heard that at least one of these is being helped with legal assistance from ACLJ (American Center for Law & Justice).

Perhaps all of the Catholic bishops should consider a 2nd Sunday collection in every parish across the U.S. to help finance just these sorts of lawsuits. A smaller business could be put out of business fighting such a legal battle. If they knew that they could tap into some sort of general legal fund, it could make a huge difference.

I think that a 2nd Sunday collection would really get the attention of the people in the pews. Who knows, maybe non-Catholic denominations would join in too. Many millions of dollars could be raised rather instantly over a single weekend and it would be simple for a parishoner to contribute even a single dollar to the effort. I don't think that this would run afoul of the tax-exempt status of religious organizations because the money would be used to support an issue (not a person).

Just my thoughts.

Ed

11/30/2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I believe that I heard that at least one of these is being helped with legal assistance from ACLJ (Am...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I believe that I heard that at least one of these is being helped with legal assistance from ACLJ (American Center for Law & Justice).

Perhaps all of the Catholic bishops should consider a 2nd Sunday collection in every parish across the U.S. to help finance just these sorts of lawsuits. A smaller business could be put out of business fighting such a legal battle. If they knew that they could tap into some sort of general legal fund, it could make a huge difference.

I think that a 2nd Sunday collection would really get the attention of the people in the pews. Who knows, maybe non-Catholic denominations would join in too. Many millions of dollars could be raised rather instantly over a single weekend and it would be simple for a parishoner to contribute even a single dollar to the effort. I don't think that this would run afoul of the tax-exempt status of religious organizations because the money would be used to support an issue (not a person).

Just my thoughts.

Ed

--hide--

In addition to your great idea, I think the bishops should ask the people in the pews to join them in a call for the Catholic universities with law schools to each write a "Friend of the Court" brief supporting this lawsuit. We need to show the court that there are more than a few voices to be heard.

Besides, it's time we showed some spine in this country and improved the ways we use our several universities to advance the religious missions of Mother Church. We've permitted a loose relationship between the goals of the church and our many Catholic universities for far too long.

11/30/2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I believe that I heard that at least one of these is being helped with legal assistance from ACLJ (Am...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Just my thoughts.

Ed

--hide--

I like your idea, Ed. I wonder how it could be put into action?

- Elizabeth

11/30/2012 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: In addition to your great idea, I think the bishops should ask the people in the pews to j...
(Quote) John-727073 said:

In addition to your great idea, I think the bishops should ask the people in the pews to join them in a call for the Catholic universities with law schools to each write a "Friend of the Court" brief supporting this lawsuit. We need to show the court that there are more than a few voices to be heard.

Besides, it's time we showed some spine in this country and improved the ways we use our several universities to advance the religious missions of Mother Church. We've permitted a loose relationship between the goals of the church and our many Catholic universities for far too long.

--hide--

I agree, John. I just saw on the news that an Elementary school child had to take the word "God" out of a poem he wrote in honor of his grandfathers who had fought in Vietnam. Sometime I think I will wake up and all the nonsense will be just a bad dream.

- Elizabeth

12/01/2012 new

Thanks for the feedback.

I found a few email addresses for Bishop Soto's office (Sacramento diocese)... email addresses for the bishop and his staff executive assistants. Perhaps I will send an email to them and see what happens. Bishop Soto has been somewhat active concerning the HHS mandates.

Ed

Posts 1 - 10 of 28