Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

My mind is troubled. I don't like to see any individual of sex, race or creed persecuted. I know and understand why the practice of homosexuality is wrong; I just feel sympathetic towards those who are blinded by society's teachings that it is an "accepted sexual orientation". How should I balance the concern I have for homosexuals while strictly adhereing to the Church's teachings?

11/26/2012 new

(Quote) Joachim-908165 said: My mind is troubled. I don't like to see any individual of sex, race or creed persecuted. I...
(Quote) Joachim-908165 said:

My mind is troubled. I don't like to see any individual of sex, race or creed persecuted. I know and understand why the practice of homosexuality is wrong; I just feel sympathetic towards those who are blinded by society's teachings that it is an "accepted sexual orientation". How should I balance the concern I have for homosexuals while strictly adhereing to the Church's teachings?

--hide--
A question to ask is if there's really a difference between acceptance of people with a same sex orientation and Catholic teaching. The Church expects us to practice charity and be compassionate toward others. At the same time, the Church does not expect us to accept acts that are immoral and against the Lord's will.

Attraction to another person can happen in a homosexual manner, also a heterosexual manner. The Commandments all of us are called to lead lives of chastity, no matter what our orientation might be. The issue is sex outside of marriage -- for everyone.

The nature of same-sex attraction is not clearly known or understood. We can't be condemning people just because of their orientation. We're not sure if the orientation is a choice or not. It's their actions that are to be considered, and the old message: "Love the sinner; hate the sin."

All people are entitled to God-given rights, and those must be respected and defended. Can we defend immoral acts though? The simple answer is "No."

Unfortunately, gay issues are permeating the media and nearly everything else we can think of. We're being asked to accept their actions as being "normal". If we stand for chastity and sex within the boundaries of marriage, we cannot in good faith support their actions, gay marriages and/or civil unions.

Clearly homosexual people face great difficultie in their relationships with others. But, keep in mind, that each of us has a cross to bear, and that cross comes in many forms. This is true --- for both gays and straights.

If we speak against same-sex marriage or efforts to promote living an openly gay lifestyle, we are branded as homophobic. Unfortunately, this is their way of making us look like the bad guys. In our daily lives, many, if not most of us, have come to know, become acquainted with, or have a relative who is drawn to the same gender. We don't need to shun them, but we cannot lend support to their lifestyle. If they are chaste, or trying their best to be, they deserve our support.

11/26/2012 new

^ What he said.

11/26/2012 new

Those are some really great and interesting points Ray! Thanks for taking the time to reply. God bless!

11/26/2012 new

Hey Joachim,

Love the sinner , hate the sin , is a good rule no matter what.

People love to be loved . we are all sinners . Let your friend know that your position is based on the inerrant word of God and you are thete for him should he like to discuss it further .

Once a suggestion , twice a form of control

Blessings

11/30/2012 new
Joachim, just stand by your convictions while respecting everyone. That's all I can say.
11/30/2012 new

(Quote) Joachim-908165 said: How should I balance the concern I have for homosexuals while strictly adhereing to the Church&...
(Quote) Joachim-908165 said:

How should I balance the concern I have for homosexuals while strictly adhereing to the Church's teachings?

--hide--

Love them. Treat them with respect and dignity just as Christ treated the Samaritan woman at the well. Don't try to convince them of anything. Your heart is much more effective than words.

theheart

11/30/2012 new
Jesus came to hang out with sinners. We are catholic, but we are sinners too; even though, we are walking towards sanctity. I have homosexual friends since college. They respect my believes and the way I live my life and I respect theirs. They are like brothers to me. I love and care for them. Our church teaches us that our bodies are a temple of God. It does not matter if we are hetereosexual or homosexual, we are a temple of God, and we need to keep our bodies pure for God. May be we are the instrument God is using to get them close to Him.
12/01/2012 new
What I don't get is why people are so obsessed with homosexuality considering that less that 2 percent of the population is homosexual.
12/02/2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: What I don't get is why people are so obsessed with homosexuality considering that less that 2 percen...
(Quote) John-220051 said: What I don't get is why people are so obsessed with homosexuality considering that less that 2 percent of the population is homosexual.
--hide--
Good question, John -- and a good observation. The gay movement has been gaining in strength. As people are becomming less shocked and more tolerant, gays and those sympathetic to their situation are banding together to promote their agenda. With all respect that due them, I'm tired of seeing TV shows, movies and other media catering to their agenda. There are $$$ behind the movement which always helps lobbying. They've organized, effectively putting pressure on. Estimates on the % of the population that is gay vary -- usually within the 2% - 10% range. Who really knows?

How did this come to be? We haven't done enough to promote wholesomeness in the media. One way to support it is to patronize TV program sponsors who advertise on family-acceptable programs; and attend movies that are decent enough to bring Grandma to see. It's becomming more difficult to do that.

If we would band together and contact sponsors, networks, film producers, politicians and so on, we'd have better results. We've allowed too much to slide past us, making the job more difficult. The often used saying is, "All that evil needs to triumph is for good people to say nothing." Our silence has spoken volumes.....unfortunately.

Posts 1 - 10 of 80