Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: My all time favorite year for gift giving was when we decided all gifts had to be hand made. My h...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

My all time favorite year for gift giving was when we decided all gifts had to be hand made. My husband's mom crocheted beautiful Christmas Trees, we made tissue box holders and cross-stitched crafts, we received Yule logs, cutting boards and baked breads. It was so neat to see how creative everyone could be. It was so enjoyable to get together without expectations.

My husband and I had a tradition of giving gifts we made ourselves. It was such a joy to work on them together. My daughter has since picked up the tradition and seeing everyone's reactions to the things she's crafted is so sweet. Last year she made about a dozen patchwork pillows for the littlest nieces and nephews, all appliquéd with their names on them. They loved them.

--hide--
Kathy,

Your story reminded me of something that I've done for years. While I am NOT a crafty person, I have made quilted photo albums and picture frames as gifts for brides, expectant mothers, and other family members. They actually turn out quite lovely and they are a great themed item for folks to have there pictures all together for what ever occasion the gift is given for.

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Carmen-910629 said: (Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Brenda, I had someone give me a years' sup...
(Quote) Carmen-910629 said:

[quote]Jerry-730726 said:

Brenda, I had someone give me a years' supply of cranberry juice. All I could think of was Christmas Vacation: "It's the gift that keeps on giving Clarke!"

[ /quote]

OMgosh, I just spit my drink out! That quote is hilarious!!!!

--hide--
Yes Carmen...that can happen. Once I was going to leave CM (but didn't as it turned out) And one kind member and friend (who has now left himself) said his "keyboards were now going to be safer!!"

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Kathy, Your story reminded me of something that I've done for years. While I ...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Kathy,

Your story reminded me of something that I've done for years. While I am NOT a crafty person, I have made quilted photo albums and picture frames as gifts for brides, expectant mothers, and other family members. They actually turn out quite lovely and they are a great themed item for folks to have there pictures all together for what ever occasion the gift is given for.

--hide--
You did well Linda! wink
These stories remind me of a gift (albeit a great one) my Father gave us just in time for Christmas the year after my Mom passed. He had taken many of my Mom's dresses and had this lady craft quilts for all seven of the children...and one for him. The lady did a marvelous job of taking squares of the dresses material and stitched them into the quilt. When pictures are taken of this quilt it looks like a mosaic. Stunning and very meaningful!

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: Linda,Once again, Jerry has come...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Linda,

Once again, Jerry has come up with a winner for a thread. Both of you have that in common.

I am entering this thread today and have read many of the posts and all of yours. I knew at some point, you would reference your conversion to Catholicism as your greatest gift. Certainly one to be proud. That is the Catholic's gain and the Protestant's loss.

In my lifetime, I can't say I ever received a bad gift. I always figured if I received a gift inappropriatefor me, then that individual still had to put forth some effort and thought. Of course, they sometimes could have thought of something else. I always graciously thanked everyone.

For the best gift, I have had several. I come from a family of modest means. My dad worked hard for little money. In 1957 when I was 10, I received a Sears J. C. Higgins 26 inch bicycle. At that time, the bike cost $66.00 which was a great personal financial sacrifice. The bike was a little big but young children grow fast. This bike had chrome fenders, a horn, nice light, white wall tires and a carrier on the rear fender so I could take the girls in the neighborhood for rides. They loved it. I was the envy of the guys and gals. When I got much older, I wish I would have had the sense to keep the bike.

Let me say for the record, my former spouse always gave me great gifts. The only reason hers weren't at the top of the list was due to the sacrifices dad had to endure to buy that bike. When we were married, we had more money for gifts.

From a spiritual standpoint, one Christmas about 10 years ago, I received from a non-family member a rosary from Bethlehem, The beads were made by local craftsmen and come from trees of olive wood from the Holy Land. River water from the Jordan is placed inside the center-piece of the rosary. I have only used that rosary twice as I have told my children I want that rosary to be buried with me.

I must say I have given some strange gifts to others but that is for another time. Some I could not mention on CM.

Linda, - no meats? no salted hams? no furs? no jewels? Gosh, your next husband will have it easy. Seriously, you will be his greatest gift.

Blessings to all,

Leon

Leon,

Thank you for your kind words. As always, you're the true "Southern Gentleman".

As far as my "next husband"....the dollar menu at McDonald's and a BIG piece of CAAAAAKE will do nicely for this humble gal.

--hide--

Linda,

Thank you for the kind words.

Regarding food - no McDonald's, no Burger King, KFC or Beenie Weenie for your Linda. Nothing but upscale and gourmet for you. Praying hug rose I'll just bet other men on CM would agree.

Jerry, your thread will lock today or tomorrow. As just one poster, you did a great job.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Dec 1st 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: You did well Linda! These stories remind me of a gift (albeit a great one) my Father gave us just in time...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

You did well Linda!
These stories remind me of a gift (albeit a great one) my Father gave us just in time for Christmas the year after my Mom passed. He had taken many of my Mom's dresses and had this lady craft quilts for all seven of the children...and one for him. The lady did a marvelous job of taking squares of the dresses material and stitched them into the quilt. When pictures are taken of this quilt it looks like a mosaic. Stunning and very meaningful!

--hide--

I like that idea! I have been thinking about having Andrews collection of band shirts made into a quilt.....I may have enough to make more than one and share with my Mom...... scratchchin perhaps in time for Mother's Day....
Dec 1st 2012 new

While in the hospital a good friend sent me a HUGE vase with exotic orchid "reeds" Quite a beautiful gift! One of my nurses who I thought did a great job would always remark how beautiful the arrangement was. So on my final day there.....I gifted the vase to her...saying "You did a great job.....thank you and have a Merry Christmas!"

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: While in the hospital a good friend sent me a HUGE vase with exotic orchid "reeds" Quit...

While in the hospital a good friend sent me a HUGE vase with exotic orchid "reeds" Quite a beautiful gift! One of my nurses who I thought did a great job would always remark how beautiful the arrangement was. So on my final day there.....I gifted the vase to her...saying "You did a great job.....thank you and have a Merry Christmas!"

--hide--
Jerry, what a lovely gift idea you had. How wonderful that you"Paid If Forward". rose Dove

Dec 1st 2012 new

One time my little sister got this present called "Betsy Wetsy" The doll obviously would "wet" its diaper when fed it's little bottle. And then one would change the diapers. My brother and I
(mischievous as we were) got a hold of the bottle and fed "Betsy" over and over again. That doll wet the diaper, dress, and the sheets of her little crib. You should have seen my sisters' look when she saw what her "Betsy" had done!! (We then started calling her "Wetty Betty"!laughing laughing

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: One time my little sister got this present called "Betsy Wetsy" The doll obviously woul...

One time my little sister got this present called "Betsy Wetsy" The doll obviously would "wet" its diaper when fed it's little bottle. And then one would change the diapers. My brother and I
(mischievous as we were) got a hold of the bottle and fed "Betsy" over and over again. That doll wet the diaper, dress, and the sheets of her little crib. You should have seen my sisters' look when she saw what her "Betsy" had done!! (We then started calling her "Wetty Betty"!

--hide--
Hey Jerry, are you sure y'all didn't call her "WETTY BEDDY"??? wink laughing laughing

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: One time my little sister got this present called "Betsy Wetsy" The doll obviously woul...

(mischievous as we were) got a hold of the bottle and fed "Betsy" over and over again. That doll wet the diaper, dress, and the sheets of her little crib. You should have seen my sisters' look when she saw what her "Betsy" had done!! (We then started calling her "Wetty Betty"!

--hide--
Well....my gift to all of you.....LOVE YOU! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

This topic has been automatically locked due to size. Any further discussion can be continued in a new topic.
Posts 191 - 200 of 200