Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Dec 2nd 2012 new

I'd have to agree that it is part of the discernment process. I highly recommend St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises. When I was still discerning religious life (all of three months ago it's amazing how fast God works when He gets it in his mind to) I was told by several sisters that when you're where He wants you to be there is a feeling of ease, and peace that just satisfies the soul, I never had that when I was with the sisters, no matter how much I wanted to feel it. I don't know if that's because He wants me to be single completely forever or if I'm meant for marriage, but God leads us day by day step by step and so far I'm feeling more called to marriage than anything else personally. He wouldn't give us the desire if it weren't for real so if there's no desire, no curiosity for the vocation of perpetual chastity pray about it and see what God shows you. Scripture is a big thing to help with that, somehow we're just drawn to certain passages at certain times. God presents us with opportunities and waits for us to take them. (hope this helped a lil' bit)

God bless!

Dec 2nd 2012 new
I'm really glad you asked this question. I have thought for a good ten or 15 years that I was not meant for marriage, even thought about religious life. I chickened out of that, lol. I love my life, my family, my friends, my job, my church, and had zero desire to be married; until recently. And I am wondering why? It was difficult saying, especially to my grandmothers, that I wasn't planning on marriage. Everyone looks at you like you just sprouted a green horn. Now, I look at myself this way because I'm not sure what sparked the change.
Dec 2nd 2012 new
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: Just my two cents. What is more important is Holiness! Weither as a priest, brother, nun, married,single it doesnt ...
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: Just my two cents. What is more important is Holiness! Weither as a priest, brother, nun, married,single it doesnt matter. Our goal is to go home to be with our Father in heaven!! This is not an easy goal. God puts people in our lives to help in this goal. Maybe for some, the married life is best. St Paul has something to say about that. But if we truely love God, then He will provide for our every need. Not want but need. If we really need that other, He will provide. So seek ye first the Kingdom and the rest will come according to His will!
--hide--
I like that, need not want..... I will definitely ponder and pray on that. Thanks!
Dec 2nd 2012 new
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: Just my two cents. What is more important is Holiness! Weither as a priest, brother, nun, married,single it doesnt ...
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: Just my two cents. What is more important is Holiness! Weither as a priest, brother, nun, married,single it doesnt matter. Our goal is to go home to be with our Father in heaven!! This is not an easy goal. God puts people in our lives to help in this goal. Maybe for some, the married life is best. St Paul has something to say about that. But if we truely love God, then He will provide for our every need. Not want but need. If we really need that other, He will provide. So seek ye first the Kingdom and the rest will come according to His will!
--hide--
I like that, need not want..... I will definitely ponder and pray on that. Thanks!
Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: LOL! This made me laugh. It's something I've bee...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

LOL! This made me laugh.

It's something I've been praying on. For all of you who roll your eyes and go, "You're ONLY 31," I don't want to hear it! lol We'll see where this road goes. But, from what I've read, it is a vocation; otherwise, I wouldn't be praying on it.

--hide--
You are wise to pray about it. I prayed about it. The story is a long one and every melancholy person in the room will be thankful I spared them ...lol but that is why I KNOW, it isn't my vocation. Sometimes, I wish I knew otherwise so I could just give up being open to the men that cross my path. Oh well, it will happen when God makes it right.

Dec 2nd 2012 new

In the book of Genesis, God created Adam, and Adam was lonely. No creature God created for Adam was suitable until He created Eve, and Adam (and God) were at last satisfied and called the pairing of the man and the woman "good." Because this is set forth in the very first book of the Bible, I strongly disagree with St. Paul's advocating staying single as a way of life, UNLESS you are called to a religious vocation (that is a totally different issue). I do not believe God intended us, His beloved creations, to live alone since the only reason women were created in the first place was to be the "suitable partner/helpmate" for men! Think about that. And God, as Trinity, is Himself not alone, and we are reflections of His Image. I read the Bible and believe it to be the Word of God and Eternal Truth, and I believe Genesis makes it clear that we were created to live as part of a male/female coupling, unless called to religious life.

Dec 2nd 2012 new

Good question, Nancy! I'm forty-one right now, and the older I get, the harder it seems for me to find someone that's to my liking. I didn't used to be as picky about the men I dated when I was younger, but now I am. I know I want to be in a committed relationship, but at the same time I enjoy my freedom to do what I wish when I wish to. I place it in God's hands when the going gets rough. I let Him take the steering wheel and point me in the direction He wants me to go.

Dec 2nd 2012 new

It helped me Jessica, thank you!

Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-838315 said: At what point in life do you decide (discern with certainty) that you might just be called to a s...
(Quote) Nancy-838315 said:

At what point in life do you decide (discern with certainty) that you might just be called to a single life?

--hide--

until we enter hospice care, maybe even then, we still have the ability to find ad marry someone. why give up?

of course those who assiduously avoid interaction with the opposite sex may profit by doing a little serious introspection.

Dec 2nd 2012 new
(Quote) David-364112 said: until we enter hospice care, maybe even then, we still have the ability to find ad marry someone. ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

until we enter hospice care, maybe even then, we still have the ability to find ad marry someone. why give up?

of course those who assiduously avoid interaction with the opposite sex may profit by doing a little serious introspection.

--hide--
I am not recommending "giving up." Frankly, I'm not recommending anything... Just asking the question. I know many women, relatives included, who have not really lived life because they have been waiting around into their 40s, 50s, and even 60s "waiting" to get married... "Life" never began for them. At what point do you not make getting married your central focus or a major focus in your life?
Posts 21 - 30 of 93