Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Why do we say what we say?

Dec 2nd 2012 new
Since I was not born here in America, I hear a lot of expressions which bewildered me. Perhaps some of you can add to this but let me begin with the expression: "Knocking on wood"...I asked someone something and they have to literally knock on wood before they answer. At first I was like: "What the heck?" but after looking it up I come to learn the origin of this expression: The derivation may be the association that wood and trees have with good spirits in mythology, or with the Christian cross. It used to be considered good luck to tap trees to let the wood spirits within know you were there. Traditions of this sort still persist in Ireland.

So...please educate me with other expressions...very grateful for your contribution :)
Posts 1 - 1 of 1