Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

11/29/2012 new

Facebook won't become a danger if you use it properly with thought-out boundaries and if you know what it is you are using facebook for. My facebookis pretty private and I don't befriend just anyone if I don't know them. For me facebook is a great tool to communicate and I actually use it allot for my studies, to make appointments with friends, to keep in touch with old classmates and most importantly to be able to communicate with family (who are scattered all over the globe). I do see many people who use it obsessively and are not able to separate the real life from the internet-life. What are your own thoughts on facebook and the danger of it?

11/29/2012 new
(Quote) Sally-894891 said: Facebook won't become a danger if you use it properly with thought-out boundaries and if you know what it i...
(Quote) Sally-894891 said:

Facebook won't become a danger if you use it properly with thought-out boundaries and if you know what it is you are using facebook for. My facebookis pretty private and I don't befriend just anyone if I don't know them. For me facebook is a great tool to communicate and I actually use it allot for my studies, to make appointments with friends, to keep in touch with old classmates and most importantly to be able to communicate with family (who are scattered all over the globe). I do see many people who use it obsessively and are not able to separate the real life from the internet-life. What are your own thoughts on facebook and the danger of it?

--hide--

Sally, I am wondering if women get stalked by men on FB? If so that is a clear and definite danger. Also, sometimes I get long lost friends and relatives' requests to become friends with them...people I am not really interested in speaking to. I wonder if I offend them by not accepting their requests.
11/29/2012 new
I think when it comes women being harassed by men it happens when a woman has giving such a person space. A woman has so much control in the way she interacts with a man to the way she dresses. There is no excuse for any man to act disrespectful to a woman, but a woman can stimulate it unintentionally. That's Why i think it very important for any woman to think cautious about her actions with any man. Like for example accepting a request from someone you don't know. As for friendrequests, I've had requests too from people I don't know. If you don't want someone as friends on FB, it is not offensive to not accept. FB is very very personal. Why share it with people you don't want to share it with? It's YOUR account and YOUR right to accept whoever you want! ;)
12/02/2012 new
On the humorous side, here's an email I sent today to my niece who requested I "Like" a company on Facebook, difficult for me who is not on Facebook........ Hi T! You know it's not like me to not like things. I actually do like this request and I do like that Real Estate Agency for helping you out. But sadly I'm not on Facebook so I can't like them. I'm not saying I hate them but I just can't like them. I'm sorry there's just nothing I can do about it. I am afraid I can't like them now and I don't think I'll ever like them in the future. I love what they're doing and what they stand for, and I hope many people like them, but I just can't like them. It's not that I don't like them, actually I do, but I just can't like them. I refuse to like them. But I really do like them. Love ya! Uncle John
12/02/2012 new
(Quote) John-746882 said: On the humorous side, here's an email I sent today to my niece who requested I "Like" a company on Fa...
(Quote) John-746882 said: On the humorous side, here's an email I sent today to my niece who requested I "Like" a company on Facebook, difficult for me who is not on Facebook........

Hi T! You know it's not like me to not like things. I actually do like this request and I do like that Real Estate Agency for helping you out. But sadly I'm not on Facebook so I can't like them. I'm not saying I hate them but I just can't like them. I'm sorry there's just nothing I can do about it. I am afraid I can't like them now and I don't think I'll ever like them in the future. I love what they're doing and what they stand for, and I hope many people like them, but I just can't like them. It's not that I don't like them, actually I do, but I just can't like them. I refuse to like them. But I really do like them.

Love ya!

Uncle John
--hide--

Uncle John, I hope she won't pick up the phone and call a psychologist lol!
12/02/2012 new
Oops posted it twice. Now here's a response I got from my nephew in law, who is also not on Facebook...... For that matter, Uncle John, I, like you, do not like Facebook. Therefore, while you are a wonderful uncle-in-law and an inspiring man, I simply cannot, will not, and refuse to like you. I like our conversations and actually really like your emails, but it is truly impossible to like you. In fact, since we are like each other and do not like Facebook, I doubt that anybody in the family likes either of us.
12/02/2012 new
(Quote) Uncle John, I hope she won't pick up the phone and call a psychologist lol!
(Quote) Uncle John, I hope she won't pick up the phone and call a psychologist lol!
--hide--
Lol Khoa. Yes she actually picked up the phone and called me. It was a good laugh.
12/02/2012 new

I joined FB back in January 2006 when it was only for college students and alumni. It was great, especially since I joined several months after Katrina when people were still displaced. Over the years, it just got more and more chaotic. In the spring of 2011, in my final semester of grad school, a friend got hacked, and I clicked on something with my name on it. I wondered if I made my account vulnerable to something, and I completely closed it. Two months later, when all the chaos of grad school was pretty much done, I started a new account and cut the 1000+ "friends" to more like 300. Then, in August (2011), while starting a new position, I completely deleted my new account. To this day, over a year later, people are still asking, When are you getting back on FB?

A few cases in point:

A childhood best friend found out she was pregnant. - I found out through another friend who has FB.

A friend was in town. - She was wondering why I never texted her to let her know my availability. lol Well, I had no idea she was coming in town. Now she knows to text me separately.

A friend recently gave birth. - She had to text me the photos separately, while basically everyone else just saw it on FB.

The way I see it --- if someone is too lazy to let me know separately, then it's not worth the friendship. Now, crazy enough, 2 of my close friends now are people whom I reconnected with on FB and MySpace. So, from time to time, I think, "Well, if I hadn't been on social networking, I wouldn't be in touch with Angela or Kelli." But, I don't feel the urge to get back on. If it were the old FB, maybe... but this one is not my cup of tea.

12/02/2012 new
(Quote) Tara-916865 said: I joined FB back in January 2006 when it was only for college students and alumni. It was great, especially sin...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

I joined FB back in January 2006 when it was only for college students and alumni. It was great, especially since I joined several months after Katrina when people were still displaced. Over the years, it just got more and more chaotic. In the spring of 2011, in my final semester of grad school, a friend got hacked, and I clicked on something with my name on it. I wondered if I made my account vulnerable to something, and I completely closed it. Two months later, when all the chaos of grad school was pretty much done, I started a new account and cut the 1000+ "friends" to more like 300. Then, in August (2011), while starting a new position, I completely deleted my new account. To this day, over a year later, people are still asking, When are you getting back on FB?

A few cases in point:

A childhood best friend found out she was pregnant. - I found out through another friend who has FB.

A friend was in town. - She was wondering why I never texted her to let her know my availability. lol Well, I had no idea she was coming in town. Now she knows to text me separately.

A friend recently gave birth. - She had to text me the photos separately, while basically everyone else just saw it on FB.

The way I see it --- if someone is too lazy to let me know separately, then it's not worth the friendship. Now, crazy enough, 2 of my close friends now are people whom I reconnected with on FB and MySpace. So, from time to time, I think, "Well, if I hadn't been on social networking, I wouldn't be in touch with Angela or Kelli." But, I don't feel the urge to get back on. If it were the old FB, maybe... but this one is not my cup of tea.

--hide--

Tara, Welcome back! Geez what happened to your account? It went back down to two postings? Lol! Any way, Celia in TN is having a get together for Christmas, you should come too! :)
12/02/2012 new
Lol! I started a new account. TN isn't that far away, but still a good 6 hours or more! But thanks!
Posts 11 - 20 of 24