Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

War on Men

Dec 2nd 2012 new

Here's the article ladies - Are you among the enemy?

www.foxnews.com

Dec 2nd 2012 new
Stephen, interesting article. I am going to have to wholeheartedly agree that women have changed. However, I completely disagree with the author's conclusion as to why women have changed. What I think is controversial, but I also think it's based on Truth:

Women have changed because *they had to*.

Here's what I mean. I think the Enemy has been attacking men, and hindering them from being TRUE men for a long time. And it's catching up with us. When the Enemy attacks and handicaps men from acting as men (leaders, loving women as the church, encouraging, etc.), women have no choice but to step up and act as the leaders. This has gotten completely out of control, but you can see that it's cyclical.

I don't envy men these days. I think it IS hard to be a true man of God--strong, with moral character, able to lead and love at the same time. But I don't think men changed because of women. I truly believe it's the other way around.

I read a very interesting metaphor in a book called The Resolution for Men (I just read the intro, as I was ordering The Resolution for Women). It starts with a minivan with a family, driving late at night. The man is driving, but he is very tired and falling asleep at the wheel. He dozes off, and his wife grabs the steering wheel and overcorrects the vehicle, causing an almost fatal crash.

I think this is a really good depiction of what has happened. Women have over corrected. I see nothing wrong with women being educated or earning salaries by using their talents. I think women have been oppressed in the past. But the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.

So, when looking for someone to blame for the dynamics between men being able to be men, and women being able to get their wish of a happy marriage, look no further than the Enemy. There's your answer.
Dec 3rd 2012 new

The article is a bit polarizing and inflammatory, but raises some good points.

What do you think Stephan about what the author has to say about the feelings and impression of men?

Dec 3rd 2012 new

What do you think Stephan about what the author has to say about the feelings and impression of men?

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Gayle-865231 said: Stephen, interesting article. I am going to have to wholeheartedly agree that women have changed. Howeve...
(Quote) Gayle-865231 said: Stephen, interesting article. I am going to have to wholeheartedly agree that women have changed. However, I completely disagree with the author's conclusion as to why women have changed. What I think is controversial, but I also think it's based on Truth:

Women have changed because *they had to*.

Here's what I mean. I think the Enemy has been attacking men, and hindering them from being TRUE men for a long time. And it's catching up with us. When the Enemy attacks and handicaps men from acting as men (leaders, loving women as the church, encouraging, etc.), women have no choice but to step up and act as the leaders. This has gotten completely out of control, but you can see that it's cyclical.

I don't envy men these days. I think it IS hard to be a true man of God--strong, with moral character, able to lead and love at the same time. But I don't think men changed because of women. I truly believe it's the other way around.

I read a very interesting metaphor in a book called The Resolution for Men (I just read the intro, as I was ordering The Resolution for Women). It starts with a minivan with a family, driving late at night. The man is driving, but he is very tired and falling asleep at the wheel. He dozes off, and his wife grabs the steering wheel and overcorrects the vehicle, causing an almost fatal crash.

I think this is a really good depiction of what has happened. Women have over corrected. I see nothing wrong with women being educated or earning salaries by using their talents. I think women have been oppressed in the past. But the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.

So, when looking for someone to blame for the dynamics between men being able to be men, and women being able to get their wish of a happy marriage, look no further than the Enemy. There's your answer.
--hide--

Gayle,

I sent your reply to the person I got the article from - My 18 year old daughter and 2012 graduate of SMA (St Mary's Academy, Portland, Oregon) and this is the skype message I received from her:

you totally need to read this article that all the SMA girls were slandering. (I happen to agree with it though)
[5:08:22 PM] Savannah: www.foxnews.com

As you can see most of the SMA (all girls Catholic High School which happens to be 153 years old) "slander" the author too!

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Karen-133138 said: The article is a bit polarizing and inflammatory, but raises some good points.What do you...
(Quote) Karen-133138 said:

--hide--

It's not what I think

It's what my 18 year old daughter, who sent me the article, THINKS!

Read my earlier post to Gayle

Dec 3rd 2012 new

Your topic is odd, it seems you are baiting to see if a woman will come to push you off your male pedestal ? By asking that question - I have done the evil deed flower Who will be the guilty party the baiters or the baitees? Is that a word baitees? Both sexes will move apart to accomplish on their own to prevent humiliation. It doesn't really have to do with feminity or masculinity - it has to do with kindness and respect.

www.youtube.com

Dec 3rd 2012 new

I read your second post about your daughter.

Dec 3rd 2012 new

This is already a thread in this Single Living room, no? :

www.catholicmatch.com

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Gayle-865231 said: Women have changed because *they had to*. I don't envy men these days. I think it IS hard to...
(Quote) Gayle-865231 said: Women have changed because *they had to*.

--hide--

While I asknowledge that this is a problem that needs to be addressed in out modern culture, I find that Fox article really inflammatory (as already said) and even misogynous (even though it was written by a woman). There is more written elsewhere that better discusses the problem and in more respectful terms for both genders. There is a lot I want to say but I will keep my comments short (I don't have all day to be on the forums).

Gayle (above) brought up some good points about how women changed BECAUSE of men and not so much the other way around. Many women have been forced to take on tradtionally male roles as the males themselves were avoiding them. I have previously studied some feminist teachings and there were 4 general waves of Feminism that occurred, some with good results, as women were often oppressed in the past (the right to vote gotten by the suffragettes being a good example). There were also some radical ideas that took things much too far (the sexual revolution and contraception, to name 2). I tried to google the article I read awhile back on a Catholic blog but can't seem to find it now. In my years growing up, I unfortunately have known a few men that have shirked their responsibilities due to a selfish nature, causing their wives and daughters to pick up the slack.

I don't believe and educated or working woman needs to be an intimidation to a man. There can be many benefits to the family from this as well. That said, many women would like to stay home with the kids when needed as long as the man is able to provide for the family. Her education can be helpful in educating her children. The fact that this "pisses men off", whether true or not, shows an immaturity on the part of those men who feel that way. It doesn't have to be a competition, as argued, but can be a compliment to the man's achievements, encouraging him in doing better. I am educated and plan to do advanced studies soon. I want to use the talents God gave me in a way that I hope pleases Him. I have met only a few men that this has bothered, but I think that is God's way of telling me that these are not the right potential husbands for me. Another thing, if you look at a lot of the women saints who lived in previous centuries, many were accomplished women who have achieved much (whether cloistered nuns or not). It wasn't only the men that God used to for the great moments in history. Men should be encouraged to take on their leadership roles, but they need not feel threatened when some women are given the same. As long as we are following God's will (admittedly not many of us do, it's more like our own wills), great things will happen that are according to His plan.

Posts 1 - 10 of 13