Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Like Gandalf

Dec 4th 2012 new

Folks, we approach the end of the Cathy-620979 era on CatholicMatch. Not sure exactly when my last day is here. The email said Dec 7.

Other people post their farewell threads in Single Living or Saint Peter's Square. I wanted to post in Culture and Current Events, where the lion's share of my posts have been.

In The Lord of the Rings Gandalf was sent by the Uttermost West to Middle Earth to stir its inhabitants to fight the forces of Sauron. So too, I feel I may have been sent to CatholicMatch, perhaps by the Holy Spirit, during the 2012 election season. To guide you with my wisdom. To inspire opposition to the forces of Dumbth. (Come to think of it, that Arabic script on Obama's wedding ring looks like the Elvish script on Sauron's ring.)

I hope my spirit lives on when I am gone. As Gandalf's did and does here in Middle Earth.

Please resist the forces of Dumbth:

Whenever anyone says something blatantly nonsensical like: "Not voting is the same as voting for Obama."

Whenever someone shows their ignorance of basic accounting by saying the tax on capital gains is taxing the same money twice.

Whenever someone shows their misunderstanding of others by claiming that increasing income tax rates is done out of spite to punish successful people.

Whenever someone practices cargo-cult economics by claiming cutting tax rates ALWAYS increases revenues to the government but that most of the populace is too ignorant to grasp this fact.

And above all, I hope Good People will resist attempts to politicize our Faith.

Whenever somebody implies that to be a real Catholic you must vote a straight Republican ticket, because that party is the lesser of two evils.

Whenever somebody gets mad that their parish priest isn't telling people to vote for candidates that care mostly about cutting taxes.

Whenever some agitator wants to put propaganda leaflets on the windshields of the cars in their parish parking lot while people are attending Mass. Call the police on them.

And whenever anybody posits that the world or American society is falling apart and going downhill irreparably. That shows a lack of Christian hope. Gandalf would not buy into such despair and neither should you.

Please don't message me with your email or twitter handle. I don't want to keep in contact with anyone. I am happy to live in the memory of CMers.

Dec 4th 2012 new

Good luck Cathy. You've brought some good flare to the forums!

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Cathy-620979 said: Folks, we approach the end of the Cathy-620979 era on CatholicMatch. Not sure exactly when my las...
(Quote) Cathy-620979 said:

Folks, we approach the end of the Cathy-620979 era on CatholicMatch. Not sure exactly when my last day is here. The email said Dec 7.

Other people post their farewell threads in Single Living or Saint Peter's Square. I wanted to post in Culture and Current Events, where the lion's share of my posts have been.

In The Lord of the Rings Gandalf was sent by the Uttermost West to Middle Earth to stir its inhabitants to fight the forces of Sauron. So too, I feel I may have been sent to CatholicMatch, perhaps by the Holy Spirit, during the 2012 election season. To guide you with my wisdom. To inspire opposition to the forces of Dumbth. (Come to think of it, that Arabic script on Obama's wedding ring looks like the Elvish script on Sauron's ring.)

I hope my spirit lives on when I am gone. As Gandalf's did and does here in Middle Earth.

Whenever anyone says something blatantly nonsensical like: "Not voting is the same as voting for Obama."

Whenever someone shows their ignorance of basic accounting by saying the tax on capital gains is taxing the same money twice.

Whenever someone shows their misunderstanding of others by claiming that increasing income tax rates is done out of spite to punish successful people.

Whenever someone practices cargo-cult economics by claiming cutting tax rates ALWAYS increases revenues to the government but that most of the populace is too ignorant to grasp this fact.

Whenever somebody implies that to be a real Catholic you must vote a straight Republican ticket, because that party is the lesser of two evils.

Whenever somebody gets mad that their parish priest isn't telling people to vote for candidates that care mostly about cutting taxes.

Whenever some agitator wants to put propaganda leaflets on the windshields of the cars in their parish parking lot while people are attending Mass. Call the police on them.

And whenever anybody posits that the world or American society is falling apart and going downhill irreparably. That shows a lack of Christian hope. Gandalf would not buy into such despair and neither should you.

Please don't message me with your email or twitter handle. I don't want to keep in contact with anyone. I am happy to live in the memory of CMers.

--hide--

I guess it is true.....Best of luck to you. Maybe you will be the new "Secretary of the Treasury."

Dec 5th 2012 new

I will miss your posts! Good luck!

Dec 5th 2012 new

I will miss your posts! Good luck!

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Cathy-620979 said: Folks, we approach the end of the Cathy-620979 era on CatholicMatch. Not sure exactly when my las...

--hide--
rolling eyes Good luck to you anyway...even if you learned nothing from the truly spiritual and wise people on here.

Dec 5th 2012 new

--hide--

Dear Cathy,

Please don't go. You have been a breath of fresh air around here. (But, of course, do what you must.)

We have all benefitted (though some do not know it) by hearing from an intelligent and well spoken Leftie. Although I have not always agreed with you, especially on choice of politicians to do lead us on into the future, I have agreed with much you have said, and for the rest...you made me think. It would be so boring around here without you! This INTP needs an INTJ around to stir the pot in an intelligent way, which you have done admirably.

Besides, we have a bet. Oh, I guess it will have to be called a draw, since the precondition was not met. But, with R. out of the picture, if the House Republican leadership go for another stimulus, I'll still grant you you the $100.

Before you go, let me say you are in my opinion smart, feisty, funny, wonderful, awesome, sexy! But, I am not coming on, as you are 1 year younger than my daughter, I'm just sayin'. If I had a son....

Lastly, here is one area where I still think you are mistaken. When you find your beau, it should not be at Denny's, although I personally love the place: food better than my yacht club and at half the price. But, it should be at a small, Italian restaurant, table in the corner, good bottle of supertuscan, no fanfare, but by candlelight. If he tries to do it at Denny's, stop him and redirect for Italian Bistro that night. You may breakfast at Denny's next morn.

God bless you.

Jerry

Dec 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: Dear Cathy,Please don't go. You have been a breath of fresh air around here....
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

Dear Cathy,

Please don't go. You have been a breath of fresh air around here. (But, of course, do what you must.)

We have all benefitted (though some do not know it) by hearing from an intelligent and well spoken Leftie. Although I have not always agreed with you, especially on choice of politicians to do lead us on into the future, I have agreed with much you have said, and for the rest...you made me think. It would be so boring around here without you! This INTP needs an INTJ around to stir the pot in an intelligent way, which you have done admirably.

Besides, we have a bet. Oh, I guess it will have to be called a draw, since the precondition was not met. But, with R. out of the picture, if the House Republican leadership go for another stimulus, I'll still grant you you the $100.

Before you go, let me say you are in my opinion smart, feisty, funny, wonderful, awesome, sexy! But, I am not coming on, as you are 1 year younger than my daughter, I'm just sayin'. If I had a son....

Lastly, here is one area where I still think you are mistaken. When you find your beau, it should not be at Denny's, although I personally love the place: food better than my yacht club and at half the price. But, it should be at a small, Italian restaurant, table in the corner, good bottle of supertuscan, no fanfare, but by candlelight. If he tries to do it at Denny's, stop him and redirect for Italian Bistro that night. You may breakfast at Denny's next morn.

God bless you.

Jerry

--hide--

Are we missing something about you and Cathy?

Posts 1 - 8 of 8