Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

As some of you know, I'm studying for my GED right now. I've been doing the writing portion, but being bored with it, I'm taking a break and scanning the rest of the book. Genetics popped out at me, and now I have a question.

Do you think I have green eyes or hazel eyes?

Here's why I ask:
I always thought my eyes were green (they were bright blue until about 1yr old, and mom still thinks they are tongue ) BUT, I'm not sure now looking into the science of it.
If one parent (mom) has hazel eyes and the other (dad) blue, then it's 50/50 blue or hazel for the child (both are recessive). (my sister and brother both have blue eyes) AND, green eyes are only seen in 2% of the world's population. (or so I read online on different websites)
I still think my eyes look green rather than hazel, they look like an olive green when I look into any mirror.

So, are they green? Or are they hazel? And if green, than how when neither parent has them? I'm honestly curious and intrigued by this; Genetics always caught my interest in school. scratchchin

Here's a couple pictures to help, both are a few years old, but the best I have of my eyes (One I'm inside, the other outside in sunlight, so a slight difference from that)

Dec 5th 2012 new

Regardless of color, they are very pretty. As for genetics, many physical features skip generations or alternate between sexes between generations. My eye color has always been described as brown, but I have had several people tell me my eyes hazel or brown mixed with a greenish tint. My Dad has green eyes and my Mom has brown eyes. When I study my eyes in a mirror (can't help, am a scientist) my eyes appear to be mostly brown with smaller areas of the iris that appear to be green. Recently, my eye color is less conspicuous than my graying hair!

As to your interest in genetics, do you have specific interests within genetics? Possible careers for further training include not only human genetics, but genetics to develop more efficient plants or livestock. Just a thought.

Dec 6th 2012 new

Hi Amber,

Everyone learns in high school biology that blue eyes are recessive, that brown eyes are dominant, and that two people with blue eyes can only have a blue-eyed child. In actuality, eye color is much more complex than that because there are many, many more genes that determine eye color than the ones for blue eyes and brown eyes that you learn about. This complexity is why there are rare eye colors such as greens and violets, and this is also why the color of your eyes (textbooks call this your phenotype--aka outward appearance) is not always a good indicator of which genes you possess (aka your genotype). This is also why it is possible for two parents with blue eyes to have a biological child with an eye color other than blue.

I hope I haven't confused you too much. Good luck with your GED!

Lois

Posts 1 - 3 of 3