Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Rose-921185 said: I am sorry if I have complained too much but I don't really like the new format, though I unde...
(Quote) Rose-921185 said:

I am sorry if I have complained too much but I don't really like the new format, though I understand that you are trying to improve the way things work. The new "Favorite Things" feature forces you to choose certain items in a list format. I tried inputing "USA" in the travel section several times but the new system doesn't seem to recognize it and has deleted it from my list at least 4 times. I don't want to list all 50 states individually and I am using country names for the rest of the inputed items. Can this please be improved? I've also had this problem for other sections of the Favorite Things feature as well.

--hide--

This is how the favorite things work, hopefully without getting too technical. When you start typing a favorite thing, it will autocomplete possible answers that other people have picked. You are free to use those (especially if you're on a mobile or tablet), or you can keep typing and use what you typed in. And then that will be available in the autocomplete for everyone else. This should make it easier to add things (you don't have to worry about how you spell things if you can get the first couple of letters right!) and easier to maintain.

Here's a perfect example - say you want to find someone else who has a devotion to St. Therese. Well, from the old system, there are 60+ different spellings or forms of that! I kid you not:

Blessed Mother Teresa, Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Blessed Mother Theresa, Blessed Mother Theresa of Calcutta, Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, Blessed Theresa of Calcutta, Mother Teresa, Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Mother Theresa, Mother Theresa of Calcuta, Saint Mother Teresa, Saint Mother Theresa, Saint Teresa, Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, Saint Teresa de Avila, Saint Teresa of Avila, Saint Teresa of Calcutta, Saint Teresa of the Little Flower, Saint Teresa the Little Flower, Saint Terese, Saint Terese of Lisieux, Saint Terese of the Child Jesus, Saint Theresa, Saint Theresa Little Flower, Saint Theresa of Avila, Saint Theresa of Lisieux, Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus, Saint Theresa of the Little Flower, Saint Theresa The Little Flower, Saint Therese, Saint Therese de Liseux, Saint Therese de Lisieux, Saint Therese Lisieux, Saint Therese Little Flower, Saint Therese of Avila, Saint Therese of Liseaux, Saint Therese of Liseiux, Saint Therese of Liseux, Saint Therese of Lisieux, Saint Therese of the Child Jesus, Saint Therese of the Little Flower, Saint Therese The Little Flower, Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa de Jesus, Santa Teresita del Nio Jess, Teresa, Teresa de Avila, Teresa of Avila, Teresa of Calcutta, Terese, Teresita, Theresa

There are probably 7 or 8 unique identities represented there, but a dozen or so forms for each. So that's what the favorite tags are for - not to limit creative expression, but to limit creative........... spellings.

Dec 5th 2012 new

Some information was lost on my profile, perhaps people who are eclectic just have far too long a list to encompass? The new profile kept Johnny Depp and Katharine Hepburn but lost Peter O'Toole and the rest...my ideal film cast was just cut down, now we'll have to hire extras! :)

Dec 5th 2012 new

Eh heh heh, yeah, that might be the case. When we were generating a list of tags from existing profiles, there had to be a minimum number of occurrences. I think we went with 4 - and it was still a list of 8,000 tags. If we dropped it to 3 occurrences, it went up to around 20,000. 2 occurrences? I don't think we ran that because it would have been way too much.

That being said, feel free to add all the eclectic talent you want!

General update on progress - Mike is looking into the missing "Seeking" sections, I'm working on dropping most of the collapsed sections and replacing the essay questions with how they currently are (showing the first 400 characters or so with a link to show the rest).

Dec 5th 2012 new
(Quote) Barbara-740721 said: I made a copy of my orginal profile so I have a record of the information for later
(Quote) Barbara-740721 said:

I made a copy of my orginal profile so I have a record of the information for later

--hide--

I just did the same.
Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Nathan-48443 said: ... I'm working on dropping most of the collapsed sections and replacing the essay questions ...
(Quote) Nathan-48443 said:

... I'm working on dropping most of the collapsed sections and replacing the essay questions with how they currently are (showing the first 400 characters or so with a link to show the rest).

--hide--

This is probably the best decision. The essays give us the ability to briefly express ourselves in our own words and style. The first idea was starting to make our profiles look like a lunch menu.

theheart

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: This is probably the best decision. The essays give us the ability to briefly express our...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

This is probably the best decision. The essays give us the ability to briefly express ourselves in our own words and style. The first idea was starting to make our profiles look like a lunch menu.

--hide--

Agreed.

One of the shifts in this is giving people more than 2 essay-style questions. From how people were using the small input field on favorites, we realized that a good number of people feel best expressed by writing things out and not just picking out things from a lineup. And understandably so. There will now be 10 - which seems like a lot, but only the introduction is required (and we even dropped the requirement from 250 to 150 characters for the exceptionally non-verbose laughing )

It's worth pointing out that people who HAD added a lot under the old favorites have had all of that moved verbatim to a relevant essay question.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Nathan-48443 said: It appears that yours did not transform correctly. The good news is that we can recheck ...

It appears that yours did not transform correctly. The good news is that we can recheck the conversion and find out where it went. Additionally, since we're doing a full data transform, the old data will be left intact. I actually threw together a page that has everything as it now in case something was lost in the favorites conversion (such as Donna's, who has full sentences that don't translate well).

I'm looking into it!

--hide--

Thanks Nathan, I will just wait and see what happens!

Thank you, Barbara

Dec 5th 2012 new

I have just pushed out some revisions to the beta site.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Nathan-48443 said: This is how the favorite things work, hopefully without getting too technical. When you ...

This is how the favorite things work, hopefully without getting too technical. When you start typing a favorite thing, it will autocomplete possible answers that other people have picked. You are free to use those (especially if you're on a mobile or tablet), or you can keep typing and use what you typed in. And then that will be available in the autocomplete for everyone else. This should make it easier to add things (you don't have to worry about how you spell things if you can get the first couple of letters right!) and easier to maintain.

Here's a perfect example - say you want to find someone else who has a devotion to St. Therese. Well, from the old system, there are 60+ different spellings or forms of that! I kid you not:

Blessed Mother Teresa, Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Blessed Mother Theresa, Blessed Mother Theresa of Calcutta, Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, Blessed Theresa of Calcutta, Mother Teresa, Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Mother Theresa, Mother Theresa of Calcuta, Saint Mother Teresa, Saint Mother Theresa, Saint Teresa, Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, Saint Teresa de Avila, Saint Teresa of Avila, Saint Teresa of Calcutta, Saint Teresa of the Little Flower, Saint Teresa the Little Flower, Saint Terese, Saint Terese of Lisieux, Saint Terese of the Child Jesus, Saint Theresa, Saint Theresa Little Flower, Saint Theresa of Avila, Saint Theresa of Lisieux, Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus, Saint Theresa of the Little Flower, Saint Theresa The Little Flower, Saint Therese, Saint Therese de Liseux, Saint Therese de Lisieux, Saint Therese Lisieux, Saint Therese Little Flower, Saint Therese of Avila, Saint Therese of Liseaux, Saint Therese of Liseiux, Saint Therese of Liseux, Saint Therese of Lisieux, Saint Therese of the Child Jesus, Saint Therese of the Little Flower, Saint Therese The Little Flower, Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa de Jesus, Santa Teresita del Nio Jess, Teresa, Teresa de Avila, Teresa of Avila, Teresa of Calcutta, Terese, Teresita, Theresa

There are probably 7 or 8 unique identities represented there, but a dozen or so forms for each. So that's what the favorite tags are for - not to limit creative expression, but to limit creative........... spellings.

--hide--

I wanted to comment again today and say "Thank you, Nathan". Today's profile looks better than yesterday's. I edited some sections but now the information seems to be staying. The "In my own words" section is not so choppy looking now with the few lines visible so that is much better. The "favorite things" now includes the previously difficult to input items that I wanted on my lists. I can live with these changes.

I do have a question as to how the matching works. Can the 100-question test be done again, like the temperments test? I seem to be getting matches with unrealistic prospects, but I am trying to keep an open-mind too.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Nathan-48443 said: I have just pushed out some revisions to the beta site.

I have just pushed out some revisions to the beta site.

--hide--

I like it! The layout is the shining accomplishment, particularly the two squares supported by the columns of type. Also, the contrasting greyscreen/no-screen blocks draw my eye to read more of what is in each section, and, therefore, the profile. Don't know if we'll all know what 7/7 means anymore due to the arrangement of that information, but that isn't a criticism because all of the religious information is in one place where we can see it. We'll simply ask if someone is a 13/13. :)

I'm a creature of habit - but I really like the layout! Good changes!!

Posts 41 - 50 of 65