Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Dec 5th 2012 new

I think it was John Paul II who wrote, that everyone's vocation is to love.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-838315 said: Hi all! A question... At what point in life do you decide (discern with cer...
(Quote) Nancy-838315 said:

Hi all!

A question...

At what point in life do you decide (discern with certainty) that you might just be called to a single life?

Not asking for myself, just asking in general!

--hide--
When you're pushing 68! laughing Seriously, I'm happy, enjoy my grandkids, keep busy with the Knights of Columbus and Church activities. I've learned to be content with my life, and no longer dwell on what might have been. You on the other hand are a lovely young woman, and shouldn't be entertaining thoughts like that!

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-838315 said: I guess there is a part of me that would like to be Cinderella... I never t...
(Quote) Nancy-838315 said:

I guess there is a part of me that would like to be Cinderella... I never thought I'd say THAT in my life!!!...in that I want marriage, children... and being a stay-at-home wife and mother would be all the better!

I went to coffee with my parents the other night. I was telling them of my plans for the next year or two. I am starting a MA program out of the UK that will require me to travel there occasionally. I received permission from work (I teach Jr. High at a Catholic school.) to take 3-5 months off next year for missionary work in India. I am heading to WYD this summer.... so much stuff I have been dreaming about for SO long and it is starting to come to be.

My mother, God bless her, asked the question, "What are you going to do if your husband comes around while you are busy with all of this?"

Tell him to get on board and update his passport? I don't know how to answer the question, to be honest. The heart of the matter is that marriage and family is what I want, but I don't want to sit around waiting for it. I want to go do what I feel called to do. Isn't that how you meet people, anyways?

I guess, the question my mother asked is a common one for most women... well, women in my peer group! Is there a point where finding a spouse is not your life's priority? DO people activily choose single life as a way of holiness?

--hide--

I guess some do choose single life. I do, however, believe in Cinderella but also the Grace of the Moment. Life doesn't start when the Prince arrives. It is now and now is where God wants me or He would change it. One moment can change one's whole future. One person at the watermelon stand in the grocery store (LOL) can change one's life. If the Prince never comes, then I will know that I am not to be married. I keep praying though because I believe marriage is my vocation. Brick walls are my answer. When I do everything I can to fix or solve something and there remains a brick wall for today, then that's His answer, for today.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Hmmm.... I have a decent amount of Catholic/Christian books, and I thought it was a vocation. To my knowl...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Hmmm.... I have a decent amount of Catholic/Christian books, and I thought it was a vocation. To my knowledge, the vocations include married life, religious life, and single life. I would have to dig through my books to find references, though! Lol
--hide--
We're getting involved in hair-splitting here. What Tim said earlier is of primary importance, but if we want to have a refined definition of a vocation, we'll find that even Catholic sources vary. The single life is considered a vocation. It's being a member of the laity. No matter what our circumstances might be, all of us are called to a life of holiness, and doing the Lord's will to serve him.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: I guess some do choose single life. I do, however, believe in Cinderella but also the ...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

I guess some do choose single life. I do, however, believe in Cinderella but also the Grace of the Moment. Life doesn't start when the Prince arrives. It is now and now is where God wants me or He would change it. One moment can change one's whole future. One person at the watermelon stand in the grocery store (LOL) can change one's life. If the Prince never comes, then I will know that I am not to be married. I keep praying though because I believe marriage is my vocation. Brick walls are my answer. When I do everything I can to fix or solve something and there remains a brick wall for today, then that's His answer, for today.

--hide--
A question for you and Nancy -- where did you lose your glass slippers???? wink

Dec 5th 2012 new
Nancy,

I would ask your mother, "What if my future husband is in India? Or maybe I meet him leading a group for WYD?"

Things work out if you make them work out--asking God, Mary and all the saints for a little help!

The experiences you will gain may be needed further down the road. You aren't being busy to escape, you are following what God asked you to do, yes? He will provide.

Blessings!

Rae
Dec 5th 2012 new

...and send your Guardian Angel to 'his' Guardian Angel! They will work out the details of the meet. lovestruck!

Dec 5th 2012 new
Well, my point was that I had read that clergy, married life, and singlehood are all vocations. Some believe that it's either the clergy or marriage, but I think singlehood is also a vocation. Yes, we are all called to be holy, but I don't think single people should be thinking they're doing something wrong if they don't have a calling to the religious life and haven't met the one.
Dec 5th 2012 new
I'm reading Surrender! right now, and this really resonates with me!
Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: A question for you and Nancy -- where did you lose your glass slippers????
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

A question for you and Nancy -- where did you lose your glass slippers????

--hide--

laughing hug

Posts 41 - 50 of 93