Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

12/05/2012 new

Right now, with preferred customer status, incentive, and military discount, I can get $2000 off a 2012 Chevy Colorado crew cab, Z71/4WD, with some pretty decent accessories. Total cost before trade-in is somewhere around $27000. Sure sounds good so far. I'll do my research and see what comes up.

Can someone tell me if end-of-year deals are better than waiting for the 2013 models?

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: Right now, with preferred customer status, incentive, and military discount, I can get $2000 off a ...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

Right now, with preferred customer status, incentive, and military discount, I can get $2000 off a 2012 Chevy Colorado crew cab, Z71/4WD, with some pretty decent accessories. Total cost before trade-in is somewhere around $27000. Sure sounds good so far. I'll do my research and see what comes up.

Can someone tell me if end-of-year deals are better than waiting for the 2013 models?

--hide--
Sometmes it depends upon a particular model and if it is hot seller or not. Typically end-of-year deals are pretty good (relatively speaking), especially if you plan to hang onto it for quite awhile. The problem is the depreciation factor which is present in any brand new car that you might buy.

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado with 237,000 miles on it, eight years old, and the total cost over the...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado with 237,000 miles on it, eight years old, and the total cost over the past 18 months for scheduled and unscheduled repairs is over $3000. Would I be better off to invest in a new vehicle, rather than continue to pay for periodic maintenance?

--hide--

If you're not making car payments on the Colorado, but just repair bills you're dealing with, I'd go ahead a buy a new car, Carl. At least if something goes wrong in the first few years, the car would be under warranty and any repairs would be picked up by the dealership. Also, some year-end deals one can make with a salesman are very attractive, especially now, during these last few weeks of the year. I'm waiting until the day after Christmas to make a deal with a local Honda dealership ... Honda's offering cars with NO INTEREST on the purchase ... seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Good luck ... and a very blessed Advent season to you, Carl, and a very Merry Christmas!

xmastree wreath snowman fluffy santahat candycane stocking Ice Skating

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Debbie-443016 said: What does everybody do for a car while the car is in the shop being fixed?
(Quote) Debbie-443016 said:

What does everybody do for a car while the car is in the shop being fixed?

--hide--

I try to schedule the repair(s) on a Saturday since I'll be waiting for the repairs to get done.

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: The major things were front and rear differential, front left axle, brake switch, fan clutch. The r...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

The major things were front and rear differential, front left axle, brake switch, fan clutch. The rest was your standard oil changes, filter replacements, brakes, tire rotations. Otherwise, the vehicle runs just fine.

Also keep in mind that these things are discovered during normal scheduled maintenance, and when dealing with supposedly reputable businesses (i.e., PepBoys, Goodyear, and a dealership), I tend to take their advice at face value, assuming they're the experts. PepBoys in particular took me into the garage to show me specific leaks and wear/tear.

I guess another good question is, how do I know these places aren't taking me for a ride (no pun intended)?

--hide--

I've always been advised NOT to take the car to the dealership for any repairs ... they'll charge you an arm and a leg, and a wheel and transmission! laughing jk ... sorry!

Goodyear is a good choice, as is Tire Discounters, and JiffyLube does a great job with the oil changes -- price is low and the service is done in pretty short order.

Good luck, Carl; and thank you for your service to our country United States Flag

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: . . . Dealerships will clean out your checking account. I NEVER use them. Have a couple of good...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said:

. . . Dealerships will clean out your checking account. I NEVER use them. Have a couple of good stories about why, but too long to go into here.
--hide--

Good advice, Edward .... wave smile

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: I spent the better part of last night at a convenience store off I-20 in Aiken, SC, enroute back to...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

I spent the better part of last night at a convenience store off I-20 in Aiken, SC, enroute back to Columbia. Ended up being towed to my residence, and today I'm waiting for another tow truck to pick it up and bring it to a repair shop. Lost power while on the highway after the battery light came on, but fortunately God allowed me to have enough power to get safely to the convenience store off the interstate. Looks like a bad alternator. Fortunately I have AAA Premier membership, so that came in handy. But now we're back to the question of how many more of these episodes have to occur before I look at investing in a new vehicle?

--hide--

If these kinds of events are happening more often than once in six months, Carl, I'd opt for a new car. Someone else mentioned they'd compare the monthly car payment to the monthly repair costs -- compare to your heart's content; but as I mentioned, if this kind of stuff is happening more often than every six months, I'd go with a new car. That way, if any repairs are needed within the first few years of the car loan, they'd be under warranty and would be covered by the manufacturer.

Good luck!

xmastree santahat candycane wreath Ice Skating stocking fluffy snowman

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: I spent the better part of last night at a convenience store off I-20 in Aiken, SC, enroute back to...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

I spent the better part of last night at a convenience store off I-20 in Aiken, SC, enroute back to Columbia. Ended up being towed to my residence, and today I'm waiting for another tow truck to pick it up and bring it to a repair shop. Lost power while on the highway after the battery light came on, but fortunately God allowed me to have enough power to get safely to the convenience store off the interstate. Looks like a bad alternator. Fortunately I have AAA Premier membership, so that came in handy. But now we're back to the question of how many more of these episodes have to occur before I look at investing in a new vehicle?

--hide--

p.s., sorry to hear about all the trouble you've been encountering ... thank God for AAA! They're a great resource when other repair shops' tow trucks are unavailable.

santahat

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: . . . Another consideration is that this is December.
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

. . . Another consideration is that this is December. It's typically regarded as the best time of year to buy a car, particularly if sales throughout the year have been sluggish. Sales people want to meet quotas, get bonuses, and so on. They're not going to give a vehicle away, but it's a good time for shopping. . . .

--hide--

All good things to consider, Ray .... wave smile Battling eyelashes

santahat fluffy snowman

12/05/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Call your mother, your sister, your brother.....friends, neighbors.... or get a loaner or in...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Call your mother, your sister, your brother.....friends, neighbors....

or get a loaner or inexpensive rental car, unless you're on a good bus route.

--hide--

laughing laughing laughing

Posts 21 - 30 of 64